Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Trying to land a bloody decent job in this country.....

Trying to land a bloody decent job in this country.....

Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:26 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to land a bloody decent job in this country.....

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And not only Bachelors degrees, but Masters and PhD's too.

Of course one "well known" British university sells MA's to its graduates based on their post-graduate "life experience".
Ooh. Beneath the belt ;p
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Mark, hope you don't mind me asking, but what age range do you fall into? I think to expect people to have a degree who are over 40 is slightly unreasonable,
Just turned 40 mate. I must admit the idea of further education after grafting for 20 odd years isn't particularly appealing. We've also just found out the wife is expecting, so I don't really think it's feasible anyway.

I hold two degrees (from a Russell Group university) yet even when I have applied for a couple of positions here I have heard nothing, which is really surprising as I would always get contacted when applying for roles in the UK.
Weirdly, I applied for I think the same role just before I moved out. I obviously had to say I wasn't in the US just yet which as I assumed meant I did. Get anywhere. They did actually write to say I was unsuccessful, so may eat he minute, no news is good news.

Originally Posted by hotscot
(Mark...San Jose, and further, would be a hell of a commute from Monterey in that rush hour traffic...)
I know mate, 60 miles each way. Trouble is, if I want to carry on my career, I have little choice. Monterey airport is just to small to ever hire. Plus I think I'd avoid rush hour mostly.

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Did the killer application include a Resume?
Given that you have not been invited for interview that may imply that the application/resume was not "killer" in the eyes of the person doing an initial scan of all the applications.
It did mate, yes.I know that sounded very arrogant, but I had to make sure the application was spot on and to show beyond doubt that my skills transfer. I'm never confident with applications and interviews, but I genuinely believe this application was very strong.
What pissed me off is despite it's name, San Jose is a regional airport! Having learnt my skills at one of the busiest and challenging airports in the world, I've no doubt I'd be an asset to SJC. I certainly don't think I have some god given right to this job, but it is a technical role that required 12 months of training in. London. It just smacks a bit to be discounted even for interview just because I didn't do some daft aviation degree. Having done the job for 7 years, I don't see how a degree can trump experience.

Not that it's ideal but I was wondering if it would be easier to get onto an airport TSA crew, and then you'd have an in to make airport contacts.

May be one route to consider?
Looked into it. No, not overqualified for it, I did after all do the same thing at LHR for 6 years. You however need to be a citizen.

Just having a rant here LOL. Just a bit pissed off. I do have an ok job so it could be far worse. Just would be nice to be able to see a path to getting back to either doing what I was doing, or at least earning something close to what I was earning.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, can you multi quote here rather than having to keep copying and pasting?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
By the way, can you multi quote here rather than having to keep copying and pasting?
Click on the little box next to 'quote' to stack them up.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Click on the little box next to 'quote' to stack them up.
Cheers
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Not necessarily true. In my case, I didn't have a degree but was Director of Engineering with a Silicon Valley company .....
You are exceptional!
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:12 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm destined I a relatively menial job!!!!! It's flipping ridiculous!!
I know plenty of Americans in menial jobs who HAVE a degree.

Anyway, relative of mine transferred to the US on L-1, had no qualifications (had worked his way up) and was (in fact is, because he had to go back to it) basically trapped in that job. No-one would (will) look at him without an MBA.

The whole thing is absurd because he has one of those stupid vice-president of being awesome titles and manages a large staff spread out across the US and still he can't get a job somewhere else in the US. Gets lots of offers from Europe.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_
The whole thing is absurd because he has one of those stupid vice-president of being awesome titles and manages a large staff spread out across the US and still he can't get a job somewhere else in the US. Gets lots of offers from Europe.
Im f****d then
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:16 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about it, don't a lot of people just lie, I mean there's a TV show on called Suits where that is the main plotline. I remember my relative saying to me he's thought about lying in the past so he can just get past some idiot in the HR dept. Not that I recommend lying of course, but I bet you'd find a lot of people have.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Thinking about it, don't a lot of people just lie, I mean there's a TV show on called Suits where that is the main plotline. I remember my relative saying to me he's thought about lying in the past so he can just get past some idiot in the HR dept. Not that I recommend lying of course, but I bet you'd find a lot of people have.
It would be a high risk strategy, risking you either being blackballed from ever applying to that employer ever again, or if you did get hired you would be forever looking over your shoulder and if your employer found out you had lied you risk summary dismissal without compensation or recourse.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:46 am

Ooh. Beneath the belt
Touchy, aren't we?

I was merely reporting a fact, and a spot of research has revealed that there are actually two British universities that do it, as well as Dublin in Ireland.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 5th 2014 at 1:22 am.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Just get one of these.
Attached Thumbnails Trying to land a bloody decent job in this country.....-l_d574-red-tee.jpg  
Old Apr 5th 2014, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Anything on Indeed.com, Mark?
Old Apr 5th 2014, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Anything on Indeed.com, Mark?
I check it every day . It's actually where I found the job I'm moaning about not getting interviewed for. It doesn't really help I live in an area where tourism is the main industry. A great area to live, a crap area to find decent work.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 2:53 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Not that it's ideal but I was wondering if it would be easier to get onto an airport TSA crew, and then you'd have an in to make airport contacts.

May be one route to consider?
Federal job, you need to be a citizen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.