Travel

Old Nov 10th 2014, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I used to fly a crazy amount for work. Fortunately that is a dim and distant memory, and the only travel I do now is that I choose to do for pleasure..
Same here. I have to laugh when people complain about working long hours ... I'll gladly put in 12 hour days every day 'at home' rather than have to travel for work. If you are lucky, you may get out of the 'office' at a reasonable time, but then you are dealing with forced social dinners with colleagues, lonely nights in hotel rooms and/or hotel bars, often crappy food, jet lag, etc. I drank WAY too much when I was traveling for work.

I guess these days you no longer have issues with calls home (everyone can call for free with the latest cell phone plans), and you have a lot more entertainment choices compared to 20 years ago (watch movies on your laptop, etc).

I was grateful for the opportunity to see some cool places (Hong Kong, Bogota, Anchorage, NYC, Boston, etc) but mostly for me it was industrial locations in places like New Jersey, Idaho, Ohio, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina. The one big benefit was, it made me realize just how amazingly lucky I was to live in the Bay Area!
Old Nov 10th 2014, 8:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Same here. I have to laugh when people complain about working long hours ... I'll gladly put in 12 hour days every day 'at home' rather than have to travel for work. If you are lucky, you may get out of the 'office' at a reasonable time, but then you are dealing with forced social dinners with colleagues, lonely nights in hotel rooms and/or hotel bars, often crappy food, jet lag, etc. I drank WAY too much when I was traveling for work.

I guess these days you no longer have issues with calls home (everyone can call for free with the latest cell phone plans), and you have a lot more entertainment choices compared to 20 years ago (watch movies on your laptop, etc).

I was grateful for the opportunity to see some cool places (Hong Kong, Bogota, Anchorage, NYC, Boston, etc) but mostly for me it was industrial locations in places like New Jersey, Idaho, Ohio, Texas, Georgia, South Carolina. The one big benefit was, it made me realize just how amazingly lucky I was to live in the Bay Area!
I'd have no issue with 12 hour days from home.

They just suck though when you have to commute and work 12 hour days.

1 hour to get ready

1 hour commte

1 hour commute home.

By the time you know it you 12 hour work day is really a 15+ hour day, that is where I refuse, I need rest or I can't function.