Travel

Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel

Hello All,

Anyone else on here that travels (flies) extensively for work?
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:48 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel

Originally Posted by AndFinally
Hello All,

Anyone else on here that travels (flies) extensively for work?
I used to fly a crazy amount for work. Fortunately that is a dim and distant memory, and the only travel I do now is that I choose to do for pleasure..
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

How extensively is extensively?
I tend to average about 3 trips to the US per year and occasional trips to Asia.
My boss does quite a bit more - most months he is off somewhere.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fozzyb
How extensively is extensively?
I tend to average about 3 trips to the US per year and occasional trips to Asia.
My boss does quite a bit more - most months he is off somewhere.
This year I have done over 220K airmiles on over 100 flights with another 40K (+/-) airmiles booked before the end of 2014. It's mostly US domestic but I have to go back to the UK 1-2 times a month.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch. That must seriously mess up any kind of family life.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but think of all the first class upgrades using up the airmiles!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AndFinally
This year I have done over 220K airmiles on over 100 flights with another 40K (+/-) airmiles booked before the end of 2014. It's mostly US domestic but I have to go back to the UK 1-2 times a month.
Let me guess - you work as a pilot
Old Nov 9th 2014, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fozzyb
Let me guess - you work as a pilot
No, I'm a passenger but I get to go all over the country - this year has been bad (or good - depending on your viewpoint) as I've been to trade shows and conventions in Vegas 10 times this year alone. I also get to go to Hawaii a lot, also for work which is a big trip and adds the miles.

I think next year will be worse, I can see at least the same number of miles and more. So much for video conferencing!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Me - I spend my entire work life traveling - often 5+ domestic flights per week and have traveled outside of US about 15 times this year (mainly to Japan, South America and Western Europe).

Just an aspect of my job (qualitative market research) - but my no means glamorous or enjoyable - despite getting to sit up-front. All work, little/no touristy stuff, but lots and lots of air miles and hotel points.

I dread Friday afternoon air travel (despite it being homeward) on domestic carriers - late/canceled/overbooked pain in the arse - and I'm doing it every week until Christmas. No fun
Old Nov 9th 2014, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Me - I spend my entire work life traveling - often 5+ domestic flights per week and have traveled outside of US about 15 times this year (mainly to Japan, South America and Western Europe).

Just an aspect of my job (qualitative market research) - but my no means glamorous or enjoyable - despite getting to sit up-front. All work, little/no touristy stuff, but lots and lots of air miles and hotel points.

I dread Friday afternoon air travel (despite it being homeward) on domestic carriers - late/canceled/overbooked pain in the arse - and I'm doing it every week until Christmas. No fun
Hello, I don't get to as many segments as you by the looks of it but I am normally away elsewhere most weeks and aim to return on a Thursday or Friday. Generally my travel is relatively pain free, my home airport is EWR and I can get there from Manhattan in 20 minutes usually. Getting back into the City on a Friday can be troublesome!

Who do you fly with usually? I have all my status with United and you can get to most places in the US and ROW direct.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

My home airport is MCO, so I can get to just about any large market in contiguous US with a direct flight. Carrier often depends on the client (who's paying), but I have high tier status with Delta and Star Alliance. I use United or ANA for Japan, Lufthansa for Europe and TAM or Delta for South America.

In US it's more of a crap-shoot - I'm in Chicago, Indianapolis and Baltimore next week so it's a combo of American and SWA.

I used to use AirTran very extensively as they had great US reach from MCO/ATL, a relatively new fleet, a generous loyalty program and an impressive on-time record. Since being taken over by dirtbag South West, all that has gone down the crapper. I only use SWA when I have absolutely zero alternative.
Likely as not, I end up on US Airways - not as good connection-wise, but they always upgrade me - always.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
My home airport is MCO, so I can get to just about any large market in contiguous US with a direct flight. Carrier often depends on the client (who's paying), but I have high tier status with Delta and Star Alliance. I use United or ANA for Japan, Lufthansa for Europe and TAM or Delta for South America.

In US it's more of a crap-shoot - I'm in Chicago, Indianapolis and Baltimore next week so it's a combo of American and SWA.

I used to use AirTran very extensively as they had great US reach from MCO/ATL, a relatively new fleet, a generous loyalty program and an impressive on-time record. Since being taken over by dirtbag South West, all that has gone down the crapper. I only use SWA when I have absolutely zero alternative.
Likely as not, I end up on US Airways - not as good connection-wise, but they always upgrade me - always.
I don't fly business a lot, company policy and all that - only flights over 10 hours can we fly business. That makes trips to Hawaii and Australia quite sweet but not my usual EWR->LHR run. That said, I've been upgraded a good few times this year on that route which makes for a pleasant surprise. I don't know about you but I find the transatlantic routes a breeze now, get on the plane, get on with some work and in no time you're in London. I also find the same with the EWR->LAS and EWR->LAX/SFO routes. When I first started flying to the USA in the 80s, I remember being 2 hours in on a BA flight to MIA and thinking what am I going to do for the next 6 hours!
Old Nov 9th 2014, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

When I was working in Frankfurt, I was on a plane daily. For one period I didn't get back to Frankfurt for over a month and a half. After two years of that, I got very tired of the travel and returned to Geneva to work.

When I was working in Kwajalein, I flew to and from Roi Namur daily for work. Does that count?
Old Nov 10th 2014, 12:00 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I fly to the UK about once a month on average plus the occasional trip to Asia.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to sorta, didn't fly for work exactly, but had to fly to work and then back home.

2 flights every day for a year. San Diego-Phoenix-San Diego, luckily I didn't have to pay for the flights and my job was located at the Phoenix airport.

I suppose it was 14 a week at minimum although some weeks I did fly daily for OT.

Generally took the 8:40am to Phoenix had 2 1/2 hours before work, worked and then took the 8pm or 10pm back home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.