Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Light Bulbs (Flood lights)

Light Bulbs (Flood lights)

Old Nov 9th 2014, 7:57 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Light Bulbs (Flood lights)

Hopefully someone here can answer this question.

We have flood lights, in which we use 65w bulbs. The old types are no longer available. Used the last one and was wondering as the newer types are a lower wattage for the same light, can I fit the equivalent of an older 100w in the recessed canister.

LED equivalent of 100w is about 12w. My theory is wattage equals heat, so a 12w LED bulb should run colder that 65W old type. Is that theory correct, or do I need to stick to a 65w equivalent.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Light Bulbs (Flood lights)

Usually I've seen labels on the box that tell you the light output in Lumens...that's the 'amount' of light they put out and is a better comparison than wattage.

Can you go with that?

http://lumennow.org/lumens-vs-watts/
Old Nov 9th 2014, 8:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Not really because if I remember correctly the cannisters are rated for 65w incandescent bulbs. Now they are now longer available I am trying to work out what the cannister rating is for LED bulbs.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

In any case I think you have the right idea in your first post so if you get equivalent 60-100W in an LED you should be ok.

I've been replacing lights with LED equivalents around the whole house, the light is slightly yellower for me as I usually go for the blue-y daytime bulbs. But otherwise fantastic. On instantly and great light output.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
LED equivalent of 100w is about 12w. My theory is wattage equals heat, so a 12w LED bulb should run colder that 65W old type. Is that theory correct, or do I need to stick to a 65w equivalent.
You are correct.

As far as the rating of the fitting is concerned it is the *real* wattage of the lamp that matters both in terms of power and heat not the "equivalent" wattage that the marketing people put on the package.

Your new "65w equivalent" lamp *is* actually a 12w lamp so, of course, it is OK.

Similarly a "100w equivalent" which is actually 18w (or something like that) *is* an 18w lamp as far as the fitting is concerned.

As long as the replacement lamp has the same type of base and is physically small enough to be mounted in the fixture you are fine.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 8:34 pm

Great thanks for the help.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

'not the "equivalent" wattage that the marketing people put on the package.'

Which isn't a measure of light output anyway...which is the important matter to people.

Marketing sheesh...
Old Nov 9th 2014, 9:24 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

If you are talking outside, security type lights, I recently replaced a 100w halogen type with an led. Its much less wattage- 18 i think, and perfectly bright. The only thing against it is, to my eye, it does not cast light as far across the yard as the old one. Cost $25, vs $15 for the halogen.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 9:36 pm

These are indoor recessed flood lights. Kitchen is a bit dark with the 65w incandescent bulbs, so I was planning to replace them with 100w equivilent LEDs if it was possible.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's what I did recently. Replaced my pot lights with retrofittable LEDs from Costco, Lowe's also have them.

Highly recommended.

http://www.costco.com/Feit-5%E2%80%9...100116152.html
Old Nov 9th 2014, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

See table below. An 800 lumens LED produces about 3 BTUs of heat per hour compared to 85 BTUs per hour for an incandescent light with the same lumens (about a 60W bulb).
Attached Thumbnails Light Bulbs (Flood lights)-light-bulbs.png  

Last edited by Michael; Nov 9th 2014 at 10:03 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot
That's what I did recently. Replaced my pot lights with retrofittable LEDs from Costco, Lowe's also have them.

Highly recommended.

http://www.costco.com/Feit-5%E2%80%9...100116152.html
Easier to use screw in LED bulbs.

Originally Posted by Michael
See table below. An 800 lumens LED produces about 3 BTUs of heat per hour compared to 85 BTUs per hour for an incandescent light with the same lumens (about a 60W bulb).
Thanks that's very useful. That confirms the bulb will not overheat the can.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I used the Cree brand Home Depot sells in my various fixtures and really like them, nicer more natural light to me then the Phillips were, and longer warranty as well.

I have had them a year now, and all are going well, even the outside one that gets to experience -20C a few times a year which would kill a CFL in a few weeks.

Not sure if they make an appropriate one for your needs, but I have been impressed with that brand.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I saw the Cree, wasn't sure about them. Thanks for the input.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I used the Cree brand Home Depot sells in my various fixtures and really like them, nicer more natural light to me then the Phillips were, and longer warranty as well.

I have had them a year now, and all are going well, even the outside one that gets to experience -20C a few times a year which would kill a CFL in a few weeks.

Not sure if they make an appropriate one for your needs, but I have been impressed with that brand.
They combine yellow and white LED’s in a matrix to get a color temperature that is 2700K or 3500K (your choice) which makes them give similar light to incandescents. Here’s what they look like inside.
Attached Thumbnails Light Bulbs (Flood lights)-cree_lr6_internal.jpg  

Last edited by Michael; Nov 9th 2014 at 10:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.