Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Things you thought you'd never be buying

Things you thought you'd never be buying

Old May 8th 2015, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you thought you'd never be buying

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As I noted previously there is a big difference in tending grass surrounding a tree and grass surrounded by trees.
Ain't that the truth! I have to vacuum mine up.
Old May 8th 2015, 4:21 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Tell that to my "grass" which buried under 3"-6" of leaves, mulched or otherwise, tends to respond by dying. ..... As I noted previously there is a big difference in tending grass surrounding a tree and grass surrounded by trees.
This is why I'm glad the majority of the trees that are actually in our yard are evergreens . The White Pines do tend to drop a lot of needles, though but we really only have to rake them up once a year because we only have two of them and the rest of the deciduous trees that populate the perennially empty lot behind ours don't drop too many leaves beyond the far borders of the yard, so a rake a wheelbarrow and a fire pit take care of most of our leaves, thankfully. I don't notice too many people using leaf blowers round our way, actually, and the ones that do just tend to be blurred in to the 'summer background noise' of birds, lawnmowers, blowers and light aircraft, which I find quite relaxing in a strange way, especially since I hate gardening

Anyway, to stay on topic - health insurance.
Old May 8th 2015, 7:38 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Anyway, to stay on topic - health insurance.
I find that a bit strange since the UK is just about the only place where you don't have to buy some sort of insurance separate to your taxes.
Old May 8th 2015, 7:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I find that a bit strange since the UK is just about the only place where you don't have to buy some sort of insurance separate to your taxes.
Isn't that why he never thought he'd have to buy it (when he lived in the UK)?
Old May 8th 2015, 7:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Why's that strange, I've only ever lived in the UK and the US. The thought of even the need for health insurance never even crossed my mind until I looked into moving here.

This was the short version
Old May 8th 2015, 8:10 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
A pool boy
You bought yours? I thought that was outlawed a few years back after that little dust up the locals had.....

We just rent ours....
Old May 8th 2015, 8:16 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I can see that - but I suppose I thought this thread was about stuff you'd never thought you'd end up buying when you arrived. Since I was 17 I've been coming to the US and EU and buying insurance so it was one of those things that I knew I'd have to buy.

So, if we're going waaaayyyy back. I'll add Spanx to my ever expanding (!) list.....
Old May 8th 2015, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philk
I could start this off by saying 'a house' as they were out of range living back in the UK. Moving here, not only was I easily able to get one but it came with 1 acre of land and a pond.

Which meant that a push-mower was no good, so last week I went and got myself a John Deere ride-on mower complete with headlights and a cup-holder.

Go back a few years and this was not something I ever thought I'd have use of or be owning.
Living' the dream
You appear to be wearing your headgear backwards.
Old May 8th 2015, 8:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I can see that - but I suppose I thought this thread was about stuff you'd never thought you'd end up buying when you arrived. Since I was 17 I've been coming to the US and EU and buying insurance so it was one of those things that I knew I'd have to buy.

So, if we're going waaaayyyy back. I'll add Spanx to my ever expanding (!) list.....
I thought it was about stuff you'd never thought you'd ever need before you arrived, and that was how I interpreted it, because once the decision to come was taken I certainly intended to find a nice patch of private land, with a good sized lawn and lots of trees, so needing a mower, blower, and chainsaw became relatively likely at that point.
Old May 8th 2015, 10:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

A gun safe.
Old May 9th 2015, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
You don't need to clear your 2.5 acres of lawn of the leaves though. Parks in the UK manage to function perfectly well with leaves on the grass. I've got no idea why people have such an issue with it over here.
Parks in the UK tend to be mostly grass with some trees.

My garden is an acre of trees with a bit of grass in the middle. Bit different. Here it is from above (if my attachment works)...
Attached Thumbnails Things you thought you'd never be buying-house.jpg  
Old May 9th 2015, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by kins
Parks in the UK tend to be mostly grass with some trees.

My garden is an acre of trees with a bit of grass in the middle. Bit different. Here it is from above (if my attachment works)...
Looks like mine. From Google satellite view you can barely tell I have lawns.
Old May 9th 2015, 6:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to buy insurance in Canada if a resident, you get basic medical coverage courtesy of your taxes.

However is highly recommended to have supplemental insurance to cover the non-covered stuff (prescription drugs mostly and dental as its not covered.) but its not required if all you desire is basic healthcare and can afford the other stuff out of pocket.

Looking around the apartment as what we own, I can't think of any of it being something I never thought I'd buy, guess the dog ramp so the dog can get on and off the couch would be the closest.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 9th 2015 at 6:56 am.
Old May 10th 2015, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
You bought yours? I thought that was outlawed a few years back after that little dust up the locals had.....

We just rent ours....
Old May 10th 2015, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

A snow blower, (before I meet my hubby) I never thought I would be buying a green card to the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.