Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Things you thought you'd never be buying

Things you thought you'd never be buying

Old May 7th 2015, 8:31 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you thought you'd never be buying

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Tell that to my "grass" which buried under 3"-6" of leaves, mulched or otherwise, tends to respond by dying. ..... As I noted previously there is a big difference in tending grass surrounding a tree and grass surrounded by trees.
Originally Posted by Bob
Green lawn care, now that's something for the peeve thread
Oh yes. Living in California, do not get me started about green grass.
Old May 7th 2015, 8:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I thought you were answering the title question, with a "Brazilian" I was wondering if it was you or your wife, until I read on
Yeah, I don't think I could pull that look off
Old May 7th 2015, 8:32 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

They drive me up the ****ing wall. Not to mention the environmental impact.

You don't need to clear your 2.5 acres of lawn of the leaves though. Parks in the UK manage to function perfectly well with leaves on the grass. I've got no idea why people have such an issue with it over here.
yeah N1cky that's what I thought. I thought, clear the lawns so the grass will grow but leave the leaves on the borders to compost down. Except one of the oaks around here has leaves that takes years to break down for compost. Then this morning I was talking to the pest control man about why do all the people here clear all the leaves, even from the borders. He told me it's because the cockroaches like to bury and nest under the dead leaves..............
Old May 7th 2015, 8:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
...... why do all the people here clear all the leaves, even from the borders. He told me it's because the cockroaches like to bury and nest under the dead leaves..............
And snakes.
Old May 7th 2015, 8:47 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

And snakes.
oh nooo!
I'm adding a one-way ticket out of here to my list......
Old May 7th 2015, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Rickyk is on a distinguished road

200 rounds of 5.56
Old May 7th 2015, 10:26 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
yeah N1cky that's what I thought. I thought, clear the lawns so the grass will grow but leave the leaves on the borders to compost down. Except one of the oaks around here has leaves that takes years to break down for compost. Then this morning I was talking to the pest control man about why do all the people here clear all the leaves, even from the borders. He told me it's because the cockroaches like to bury and nest under the dead leaves..............
And snakes.
Oh for goodness sake, the pest control people would just love for their customers to fear all the creatures hiding in fallen leaf litter are evil and dangerous. Most bugs are good for the soil and do more to keep it healthy and naturally fertile than all this blowing the leaves off and then fertilizing the crap out of the grass below.

I have neighbours who tell me the leaves are too acidic and kill the grass or promote "grub growth". My reply is most of these leaves grew out of the very same soil to which they fall, the soil needs those nutrients back so how could the leaves kill the grass? What kills grass around here in coastal New England is sandy drought-burned soil that has no compost element added back to it because everyone cleans every bit of fallen leaves off... or feels bad if they don't.

And grubs! Grubs aren't all bad for plants, and they're great for birds! My lawn is full of robins now, happily eating up those lawn grubs because I refuse to poison them...

And PFrancaise, the snakes are good too. They'll probably eat any roaches up, along with other noxious TX insects.... Though in all our decade in TX I never saw a snake in our suburb.

Last edited by WEBlue; May 7th 2015 at 10:39 pm. Reason: Too much ranting...
Old May 7th 2015, 11:07 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Oh for goodness sake, the pest control people would just love for their customers to fear all the creatures hiding in fallen leaf litter are evil and dangerous. Most bugs are good for the soil and do more to keep it healthy and naturally fertile than all this blowing the leaves off and then fertilizing the crap out of the grass below.

I have neighbours who tell me the leaves are too acidic and kill the grass or promote "grub growth". My reply is most of these leaves grew out of the very same soil to which they fall, the soil needs those nutrients back so how could the leaves kill the grass? What kills grass around here in coastal New England is sandy drought-burned soil that has no compost element added back to it because everyone cleans every bit of fallen leaves off... or feels bad if they don't.

And grubs! Grubs aren't all bad for plants, and they're great for birds! My lawn is full of robins now, happily eating up those lawn grubs because I refuse to poison them...

And PFrancaise, the snakes are good too. They'll probably eat any roaches up, along with other noxious TX insects.... Though in all our decade in TX I never saw a snake in our suburb.
Old May 8th 2015, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

A pool boy
Old May 8th 2015, 12:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Er, I agree with everything you say (except for one). I don't put down insecticides to kill grubs, I don't kill snakes, and I know that a healthy population of black snakes discourages the venomous and short-tempered copperheads. I leave standing "snags" for the woodpeckers (unless/until they become a danger to people or property), and have I nesting boxes out for the bluebirds. Hë11 I mow, and even trim, around most toadstools in my lawn to give them a chance to spread their spores!

My grass dies if it gets buried under a blanket of leaves and taking a blower to remove them from my lawn, and off the gravel driveway (so as to reduce the amount of organic matter there snd so by reduce the number of weeds growing in the driveway and therefore the need to spray weedkiller) doesn't make me the devil incarnate.
Old May 8th 2015, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

A .38. Or a $200 graduation gown and "package" for someone who didn't go to college yet.
Old May 8th 2015, 1:46 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
A .38. Or a $200 graduation gown and "package" for someone who didn't go to college yet.
I was about to say "No guns?"
Old May 8th 2015, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
A .38. .....
Isn't that special?
Old May 8th 2015, 2:45 am
Austin. TX.

I hate cockroaches!!
Like Pulaski, we get enormous amounts of leaves falling from autumn right through to about 2 weeks ago, our lawn would die buried under them all. I mow what I can into the lawn. I had left the leaves on the borders but the other day OH was planting and moved some and a whole load of mosquitos came out. Youngest daughter reacts very badly with mosquito bites.
I think we will end up xeriscaping with stones next year to cut down on the work and the water bill! if you know anything about Austin you will know that water supply is a growing problem.....
Old May 8th 2015, 1:13 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Er, I agree with everything you say (except for one). I don't put down insecticides to kill grubs, I don't kill snakes, and I know that a healthy population of black snakes discourages the venomous and short-tempered copperheads. I leave standing "snags" for the woodpeckers (unless/until they become a danger to people or property), and have I nesting boxes out for the bluebirds. Hë11 I mow, and even trim, around most toadstools in my lawn to give them a chance to spread their spores!

My grass dies if it gets buried under a blanket of leaves and taking a blower to remove them from my lawn, and off the gravel driveway (so as to reduce the amount of organic matter there snd so by reduce the number of weeds growing in the driveway and therefore the need to spray weedkiller) doesn't make me the devil incarnate.
No, certainly not the devil incarnate! You're a good steward of your land obviously. Just a tad ... misguided (?) when it comes to this love for those horrendously noisy and disruptive leaf-blower machines.... However, for your situation I suppose it seems the easiest solution. (I dislike gravel, never want it--too migratory, never stays where it's put, morphs into projectiles when mowing the grass, etc.)

For people with large properties such as yours, things like ride-on mowers and leaf-blowers allow you to handle large swaths of lawn without hiring help. But for most American suburbs (like mine, with 1/2 acre plots) this kind of gardening with large, noisy machines seems crazy overkill.

From now until November, the garden services ride in these neighborhoods like cowboys in the old West--they fire up their machines & send all life-forms scurrying for cover (including humans). They blow mulch in the spring, blow grass-mowings in the summer, blow so many leaves all autumn long. The damn blowers are never silent till it snows--part of the reason why winter is a blessed relief here, in spite of too much snow.

Sorry, this is just my rant... and not personally directed against you or Petite Francaise or indeed anyone else at all. I just hate these excessively noisy garden "instruments". Abominations.

Last edited by WEBlue; May 8th 2015 at 1:15 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.