Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking your gun to another state drama...

Originally Posted by exvj
Think of it as paying tax to buy more weapons for the military - that's a sacrifice for the common good and not too communist I would suggest
That's only so the government can invade countries - for the common good!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:28 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S

I've read some confusing stream-of-conciousness posts on BE before, but you take the cake. I've never heard anyone try to connect the dots between a poster in a UK doctor's surgery and US gun owners.
Novelty enhances all our lives so I hope you enjoyed the experience.

Let me expand further:
I am talking about the common mentality of people in different settings and in different countries - people who are self centred and will only do what they perceive to be in their own immediate interest and look no further

People, in this case, who will not suffer any restrictions on their gun use, even though it would save thousands of lives of their fellow Americans

I would liken this to the mentality of people who let thousands of dandelions seed in their garden without regard to their neighbours, but I won't as I don't think everyone could make the link and it would just confuse the issue

I am talking about the 'common good' but I just get blank stares from many people as it doesn't seem to be a concept they have ever considered

Hey ho well it's a cultural difference I suppose and it's like trying to convince an eskimo that raw seal blubber tastes 'orrible
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Novelty enhances all our lives so I hope you enjoyed the experience.

Let me expand further:
I am talking about the common mentality of people in different settings and in different countries - people who are self centred and will only do what they perceive to be in their own immediate interest and look no further

People, in this case, who will not suffer any restrictions on their gun use, even though it would save thousands of lives of their fellow Americans

I would liken this to the mentality of people who let thousands of dandelions seed in their garden without regard to their neighbours, but I won't as I don't think everyone could make the link and it would just confuse the issue

I am talking about the 'common good' but I just get blank stares from many people as it doesn't seem to be a concept they have ever considered

Hey ho well it's a cultural difference I suppose and it's like trying to convince an eskimo that raw seal blubber tastes 'orrible
In your opinion.

Also you're ignoring the fact the 2nd Amendment is there, theoretically, to protect the lives of thousands in the future.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:43 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
In your opinion.

Also you're ignoring the fact the 2nd Amendment is there, theoretically, to protect the lives of thousands in the future.
It dates from a time when it was legal to:
own slaves
beat your wife
strap your children
use the N word in public
segregated drinking fountains etc etc etc

and only a hundred years after witch burning was legal

America and everywhere else has only improved by dumping our old ways and adopting new and better ways

Non of the above should be taken as weakening my support for the 18th amendment

Tell the widows of the three police officers about how it protects their family as they finalise the funeral arrangements
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that a troll as clever as you would avoid an obvious strawman like that.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I would have thought that a troll as clever as you would avoid an obvious strawman like that.
Strawman ? what's that ? are you a buzz word salesman ?

How childish, do you have any points to put or do we only get a few words of your limited vocabulary at a time - and none of those addressing the subject ?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

own slaves
beat your wife
strap your children
use the N word in public

America and everywhere else has only improved by dumping our old ways and adopting new and better ways

Tell the widows of the three police officers about how it protects their family as they finalise the funeral arrangements
The entire Bill Of Rights dates back that far, are all the 10 Amendments out of date or only the ones you don't agree with?

Plenty of cops are pro-2nd Amendment.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:54 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

How childish, do you have any points to put or do we only get a few words of your limited vocabulary at a time - and none of those addressing the subject ?
Now you're being rude.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
The entire Bill Of Rights dates back that far, are all the 10 Amendments out of date or only the ones you don't agree with?

Plenty of cops are pro-2nd Amendment.
America wouldn't be a very healthy place democratically if everyone agreed with the whole of the constitution and all of it's amendments. There wouldn't be any amendments if people didn't want to improve on the status quo
People were amending the constitution long before I arrived

A lot of people in Utah disagree with the 18th for instance - and i support their right to do so

Yesterday, we had people coming on saying what scum the police are - and now we are told that the support of some officers for the 2nd is somehow supportive for the 'anything goes' lobby

Seriously, I am sure the vast majority of Police Officers would prefer there to be less guns on the streets - and so would their families/next of kin
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Now you're being rude.
I don't like being called a troll

It makes me see red and want to go buy a really big gun and.....

You will notice that I am never badly rude to people who dont call me names -
names like communist, fool, pr*ck, troll etc
though I might try and hole their arguments

Some people speak in grunts and curses and obscenities without trying to put a point over and they have such hate and aggression - it makes my trigger finger itch and that vein on my forehead pulses and and and ...

Seriously I am concerned that people like these are gun owners and are out there on the streets
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:12 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

own slaves
beat your wife
strap your children
use the N word in public

There is a significant difference between a right and an activity that is not illegal.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

America wouldn't be a very healthy place democratically if everyone agreed with the whole of the constitution and all of it's amendments. There wouldn't be any amendments if people didn't want to improve on the status quo
People were amending the constitution long before I arrived

A lot of people in Utah disagree with the 18th for instance - and i support their right to do so

Yesterday, we had people coming on saying what scum the police are - and now we are told that the support of some officers for the 2nd is somehow supportive for the 'anything goes' lobby

Seriously, I am sure the vast majority of Police Officers would prefer there to be less guns on the streets - and so would their families/next of kin
You can disagree - but you should know the majority of Americans want to keep the 2nd Amendment, even the Democrats.

I have no idea what you're talking about now with regards to police and the 2nd Amendment; I only said plenty of cops support it.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Your statement that gun owners are arguing that there be NO RESTRICTIONS on gun use... that's a strawman argument.

But you knew that.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:23 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Leslie66
There is a significant difference between a right and an activity that is not illegal.
Luckily the Americans inherited and adopted much of the finest legal code in the world (The English one).

Everything that is not expressedly forbidden by law is lawful and it is our right to do anything - our rights are unbounded - everything is our right

We dont need a constitution to grant us rights because we already have them

Some of our rights can be taken away by laws which include amendments in the USA, and the electorate will only allow that if they can see it as being part of a fair trade

In the case of prohibition, a right was restored, much to my approval although I wasn't there at the time

People had the right to own guns BEFORE the second amendment - because it wasn't forbidden - it was only a warning shot (pardon the pun) across the bows of the control lobby which has lasted up to now and so fulfilled it's purpose

I would not like to live in a society where everything was illegal unless the government said it was not

Last edited by exvj; Apr 7th 2009 at 7:33 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.