Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking your gun to another state drama...

Our friend's adult son travelled to NYC last week with his handgun, he filled out all the paperwork and followed all the correct protocol - or so he thought. He ran into problems on his return trip when they told him that his licence for the gun in Alabama was not valid in NY and he had committed a felony, they promptly put him in jail. He's home now but has to return for a court date in a few weeks, the maximum penalty is 3 years jail time, and/or a large fine, his mother is climbing the walls right now...

I know nothing about gun laws and guns, they are hoping the case might be dismissed, but I don't know what the chances are....
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking your gun to another state drama...

Get a lawyer involved...doubly so if he's not a septic
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Get a lawyer involved...doubly so if he's not a septic
They're American, with plenty money so that helps.

I've just read that NYC has no reciprocal laws with any other states so it looks like they'll throw the book at him.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
They're American, with plenty money so that helps.

I've just read that NYC has no reciprocal laws with any other states so it looks like they'll throw the book at him.
You didn't say how they discovered he actually had a gun.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, I don't know the details yet, my hubby has gone to see them so I'll know more later.

I think it was at the airport as he was leaving that he told them he had it, he had no idea he was carrying it illegally.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:06 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

do you know why he took it with him in the first place?
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

does he have a CPL? If he is not a LEO, or a FAM on official business he cannot carry a gun in the cabin anyway! There are strange rules and regs about how u transport fire arms. I do know they have to check in differently and go thru different security lines.
If he was initially approved I think they night have problems because that shows no intent!

I was shocked to hear that obama is trying to stop aircrews on domestic flights being armed! Its already starting.

Be nice to see what comes out of this.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by elfman
do you know why he took it with him in the first place?
I dunno, I guess he carries it with him where he lives and wanted to have it with him while travelling.

He should have stuck to NERF guns.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

NYC might be a clue. My hubby has one stuffed down his pants every waking moment when he is out of the house. I told him one day he is going to blow his penis off.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Deedee13
does he have a CPL? If he is not a LEO, or a FAM on official business he cannot carry a gun in the cabin anyway! There are strange rules and regs about how u transport fire arms. I do know they have to check in differently and go thru different security lines.
If he was initially approved I think they night have problems because that shows no intent!

I was shocked to hear that obama is trying to stop aircrews on domestic flights being armed! Its already starting.

Be nice to see what comes out of this.
Don't know what any of these acronyms mean, I'm sorry.

My understanding is that he thought he had the correct paperwork (clearly he was wrong) and he flew from Alabama to NYC. He had no problems taking on the plane in AL as he had a licence there, it must have been in his checked bags or they would not have allowed it on board.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:17 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
NYC might be a clue. My hubby has one stuffed down his pants every waking moment when he is out of the house. I told him one day he is going to blow his penis off.
does he have "a large degree of wealth, political influence, and/or celebrity status" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conceal...ates#May-issue
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know what any of these acronyms mean, I'm sorry.

My understanding is that he thought he had the correct paperwork (clearly he was wrong) and he flew from Alabama to NYC. He had no problems taking on the plane in AL as he had a licence there, it must have been in his checked bags or they would not have allowed it on board.
LEO = Law Enforcement Officer. FAM = Federal Air Marshall.

Sounds like the friend's son did something really dumb, unfortunately. He needs very good legal representation, right now.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

So, he was at the airport leaving and he declared that he had the weapon, it was unloaded and stored correctly, but the licence was not recognised.

I'll let you know what the outcome is...
Old Mar 21st 2009, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Our friend's adult son travelled to NYC last week with his handgun, he filled out all the paperwork and followed all the correct protocol - or so he thought. He ran into problems on his return trip when they told him that his licence for the gun in Alabama was not valid in NY and he had committed a felony, they promptly put him in jail. He's home now but has to return for a court date in a few weeks, the maximum penalty is 3 years jail time, and/or a large fine, his mother is climbing the walls right now...

I know nothing about gun laws and guns, they are hoping the case might be dismissed, but I don't know what the chances are....
Hi:

He needs a lawyer. If he can't afford one, one will be appointed for him [not exactly "free" -- you just don't have to come with the bucks up front to get one appointed].

As authority from the Supremes and other courts stand right now -- a flat out prohibition to carry is unconstitutional. However, the "well regulated" phrase still exists.

I guess from a very conservative viewpoint incorporating "original intent" it would seem that the government cannot really interfere all that much with the right to carry a flint lock musket. However, there is a large group of people seeking "judicial activism" to expand way beyond original intent.

[And yes, I'm being ironic -- I think that the phrases "conservative," "original intent" and "judicial activism" are code words in the law for propositions that have little substantive content].
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the Reciprocity Maps

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.