Wikiposts

Sweet 16 Party

Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sweet 16 Party

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
One sweet sixteen party my daughter went to cost the girl's parents in excess of $80K. There were lifesize cardboard cutouts of the girl in the hotel lobby...leading right through to the banquet room.
she's discussing the merits of various types of limos - I've never even been in one
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
she's discussing the merits of various types of limos - I've never even been in one
We took our daughter into NYC for the day...just the three of us. Helicopter ride around Manhattan...dinner at Windows on the World restaurant...then a Broadway play.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We took our daughter into NYC for the day...just the three of us. Helicopter ride around Manhattan...dinner at Windows on the World restaurant...then a Broadway play.
That's nice
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I would like that idea. I had thought of renting a beach house for a weekend but the middle of the summer makes them hard to get for a few days.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Has anybody watched the "sweet Sixteen" show on MTV, Jesus! its a whole "I love me" fest and my parents are going to spend an extortionate amount of money on getting me what I want..

One silly Dad actually paid in excess of $300,000 because his son wanted 50 Cents at his.....I suppose it did help that daddy was a Record Exec...
My favorite line in that show is 'I deserve it' - why exactly do you deserve a $100k car?! Because you did what exactly?! Showed up in the world? My 4 year old is not going to be watching that show for a very long time. I love the trashy ones where the parents clearly have no idea of what the word tasteful means. Where they spent all that money and they still look like trailer trash!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
My favorite line in that show is 'I deserve it' - why exactly do you deserve a $100k car?! Because you did what exactly?! Showed up in the world? My 4 year old is not going to be watching that show for a very long time. I love the trashy ones where the parents clearly have no idea of what the word tasteful means. Where they spent all that money and they still look like trailer trash!
there was one where the arrangements meant ambulances would be stopped from getting to a hospital...which the girl thought was fine...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see the one where she wanted them to land her dad's plane on the main street outside the venue?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Did you see the one where she wanted them to land her dad's plane on the main street outside the venue?
I'm sure my daughter did...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:22 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Sweet 16 Party

Last Summer we went with some friends to Liberty State Park for a picnic (and got busted by the park police for having a bottle of wine...):curse: Just before the sun was setting we strolled across to the Liberty House restaurant at the Marina, to sit outside in the gardens and gaze at the Manhatten skyline and have some seafood and cocktails.

Suddenly we saw a large group in a wedding party. There was a bride and groom in traditional wedding dress and we were astonished to see at least a dozen (maybe more) bridesmaids in peach coloured gowns and a similar number of 'groomsmen' all wandering around the gardens having formal photographs taken. In the procession were some parents wearing formal evening attire.

As the group got closer to us we were amazed at how young they all looked (and indeed, some of them looked bored - including the bride!). We thought that it must have been a 'shotgun' wedding with the young bride presumably pregnant. However, they still looked incredibly young. There was obviously a reception taking place upstairs in a private room inside the restaurant, but I couldn't resist mentioning to our waitress about how young the wedding party looked. She exclaimed that it wasn't a wedding at all....it was a Mexican 'quincentera' (sp?) which is a kind of 'Sweet 16' for 15 year old Mexican girls.

It must have cost her parents a fortune!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She went to a pretty swanky Bat-Mitzvah last week.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Last Summer we went with some friends to Liberty State Park for a picnic (and got busted by the park police for having a bottle of wine...):curse: Just before the sun was setting we strolled across to the Liberty House restaurant at the Marina, to sit outside in the gardens and gaze at the Manhatten skyline and have some seafood and cocktails.

Suddenly we saw a large group in a wedding party. There was a bride and groom in traditional wedding dress and we were astonished to see at least a dozen (maybe more) bridesmaids in peach coloured gowns and a similar number of 'groomsmen' all wandering around the gardens having formal photographs taken. In the procession were some parents wearing formal evening attire.

As the group got closer to us we were amazed at how young they all looked (and indeed, some of them looked bored - including the bride!). We thought that it must have been a 'shotgun' wedding with the young bride presumably pregnant. However, they still looked incredibly young. There was obviously a reception taking place upstairs in a private room inside the restaurant, but I couldn't resist mentioning to our waitress about how young the wedding party looked. She exclaimed that it wasn't a wedding at all....it was a Mexican 'quincentera' (sp?) which is a kind of 'Sweet 16' for 15 year old Mexican girls.

They are more a cultural tradition. The sweet 16 ones seem to be media driven. I've always thought that american kids are so hyped up about trivial things in high school, adult life must be a disappointment.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:32 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Sweet 16 Party

She went to a pretty swanky Bat-Mitzvah last week.
My son went to loads of them when he was 13 as there is a large Jewish community in our area. There seemed to be a definite mindset of 'keeping up with the Joneses' as to which country club the bar and bat-mitzvahs were being held in. My son was invited to quite a few where he didn't even know the kids. Just the stationery for the invitations must have been pretty expensive, some of them were extremely elaborate.

One (lucky) boy at a bar-mitzvah my son went to received a cheque for $30,000 from his uncle....!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

The parents don't usually pay out alot for them. It is a joint effort of all family and friends. Most Hispanic families are fairly large and close knit. Usually the parents make a list of what needs to be paid for and different aunt/uncles/cousins/grandparents/godparents etc step foward and contribute to the celebration.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:59 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

That's nice
try showing a little more excitement...

(I couldn't hear the inflection of your keyboard while you typed it)
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:23 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Has anybody watched the "sweet Sixteen" show on MTV, Jesus! its a whole "I love me" fest and my parents are going to spend an extortionate amount of money on getting me what I want..
that show pisses me off beyond belief....but I can't help but watch it if i come across it....AARRGHGHHH...I do my own head in!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.