Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Statistically, it was only a matter of time

Statistically, it was only a matter of time

Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Statistically, it was only a matter of time

Originally Posted by Lord Knows
Damage appears to be in the range of several thousand dollars, glad to hear that the cargo was not injured.

I have friends that travel a lot, they fixed 'deer whistles' to their vehicle to fend off the creatures. Does anyone here have experience with those, seems like a very inexpensive fix.
Yep we've got those little things and have had them for around 10 yrs now.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:18 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good one
Attached Files
File Type: wav
train.wav (25.2 KB, 8457 views)
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:18 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Any input from you guys on this is more than welcome. Do most of you have collision?
I have collision until the vehicle is less than I want to shell out in case of a total loss. For example -- until the vehicle's value is less than $4-5K.

There is a school of thought that you can drop collision earlier than that (provided car loan is paid off) if you put what you WOULD have spent in collision premiums in the bank in case you have to write off the car.... but I don't know that I could be so disciplined.

Also, even if you have a car you really like and it runs well.... as you've seen a relatively small amount of body damage can write off the car. Would it still be collision had you hit deer 1 in the roadway and your car veered off the road from the force and hit deer 2? Seems silly for them to deny the claim. If there'd been a human that stepped out in front of you, would it have been financially advantageous for you to hit the human rather than say the guardrail?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Comprehensive covers hitting a deer but if I try to avoid hitting the deer and I hit something on the side of the road that's collision.. But i wasn't allowed to get just comprehensive without collision.. At least that's what I was told just before I decided not to take it and pay for repairs instead if it came to that.. Adding collision to both vehicles means an extra $2200 per year, and I'm still trying to decide whether it's worth getting it, even after this accident.. Any input from you guys on this is more than welcome. Do most of you have collision?

Glad to hear you escaped unscathed! It must have been a frightening ordeal.

We have full coverage on all our vehicles, even the 16 year old Jeep. It is expensive but looking at the big picture at least if anything happens we will at least get something back off of it.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Knows
I have friends that travel a lot, they fixed 'deer whistles' to their vehicle to fend off the creatures. Does anyone here have experience with those, seems like a very inexpensive fix.
They don't work.

Deer or Moose lights do, but they are a driving hazard to anyone else if used in busy areas or after the crack of dawn kind of thing...those things are bright though
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:01 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
This is a good one
8423 views in 2 hours ..I think not ...
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:25 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Also, even if you have a car you really like and it runs well.... as you've seen a relatively small amount of body damage can write off the car. Would it still be collision had you hit deer 1 in the roadway and your car veered off the road from the force and hit deer 2? Seems silly for them to deny the claim. If there'd been a human that stepped out in front of you, would it have been financially advantageous for you to hit the human rather than say the guardrail?
I personally find all insurances a rip off.

Years ago back in Spain I had a bunch of things stolen from my car, including my stereo. The car was parked in my parents backyard, which is completely private, and therefore left unlocked. Well, when I tried to claim it on my car insurance and explained the scenario I was told that because my car was unlocked it wasn't a "theft" but "some other fancy word they came up with" and therefore it wasn't covered.. The nerve!!! Of course the house insurance wouldn't cover it either
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:30 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They don't work.

Deer or Moose lights do, but they are a driving hazard to anyone else if used in busy areas or after the crack of dawn kind of thing...those things are bright though
I was wondering why there were so many morons driving at night with their brights on, is that what they use?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They don't work.

What are they? I did Goolge but came up with lamps made out of bits of the deer.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering why there were so many morons driving at night with their brights on, is that what they use?
yup...errr...your supposed to switch them off when you see some one coming your way though....
Old Feb 5th 2008, 5:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What are they? I did Goolge but came up with lamps made out of bits of the deer.
errr....moose lights....search VIP, Napa etc...
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
yup...errr...your supposed to switch them off when you see some one coming your way though....
Do you mean they are the main beam or brights as they say here?

Got it they're spot lights.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Do you mean they are the main beam or brights as they say here?

Got it they're spot lights.
They are seperate lights you fix to the car, usually under the bumper...bloomin' bright....anywhere between $30-90 for a set, easy to install though
Old May 28th 2008, 12:22 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Damn.

I hit deer #2 this morning on the way to work. I was doing 60-65 and I never saw it coming. It was still dark (about 5:15am) just a hint of dawn in the sky. All of a sudden, BANG!! The steering wheel jerked, I saw a millisecond flash of brown and that was it. It's the same side that got it last time. I had just replaced the headlight from the first time about two months ago. The damage is worse this time, I'm going to have to do some serious redneck bodywork to get it where the passenger door will open and the tire doesn't rub.

Old May 28th 2008, 12:36 am
Ray

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Damn.

I hit deer #2 this morning on the way to work. I was doing 60-65 and I never saw it coming. It was still dark (about 5:15am) just a hint of dawn in the sky. All of a sudden, BANG!! The steering wheel jerked, I saw a millisecond flash of brown and that was it. It's the same side that got it last time. I had just replaced the headlight from the first time about two months ago. The damage is worse this time, I'm going to have to do some serious redneck bodywork to get it where the passenger door will open and the tire doesn't rub.

Oh Deer .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.