Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Select a Candidate for 2008

Select a Candidate for 2008

Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:46 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Select a Candidate for 2008

Originally Posted by fatbrit
One of the problems here is that I think certain elements use this widespread gut feeling to ensure the status quo. If you can whip people up into a frenzy of "no amnesty", then you have created a situation where there is no workable solution. And hence you still have a plentiful supply of cheap, malleable workers for those jobs that you can't export.
You might be right, although I'm not sure they're intelligent enough to work up such a manipulative plan. Possibly with the help of some advertising professionals it could be done...
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You might be right, although I'm not sure they're intelligent enough to work up such a manipulative plan. Possibly with the help of some advertising professionals it could be done...
The Rove Machine does not lack intelligence. It does, however, lack all other qualities of merit.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:27 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

The Rove Machine does not lack intelligence. It does, however, lack all other qualities of merit.
It did a pretty good job in 2000 and 2004...............
Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to all

Brownback

Rudy

Biden
Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to all
Post Re: Select a Candidate for 2008

Iraq:
Draw down the U.S. troops and decentralize Iraq by dividing it into regions of separate governments.

Immigration: I favor a guest worker program, while tightening border security.

well i favor open Immigration i see this as totally a market driven . If its good the economy its good for the USA .

Taxes: Do you believe the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts should be made permanent?
Yes

but it was yes or no . i favor a Natl Sales tax and the end of the IRS and income taxes both state and federal . also the end of Property taxes .

Stem-Cell Research : YES

Health Care: Oppose

i have a vision of are hostiptals being ran by the goverment like are DMVs

Abortion: Do you favor or oppose legalized abortion in the United States?
Favor

Social Security: Do you favor the concept of privatization of Social Security to any degree?

Yes for people my age it should be private accounts 100%

Line-Item Veto: Do you favor or oppose giving the president a "line-item" veto; that is, the ability to remove parts of a spending bill without needing to veto the entire bill?
Favor

Energy: Do you support federal assistance for the production of ethanol and/or biofuel as an alternative to oil?
Yes

Marriage: Do you favor or oppose a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman?
Oppose

congress should have better things to do

Death Penalty: Do you favor or oppose the use of the death penalty for certain crimes?
Oppose
Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:41 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

You sound more or less Libertarian, Michael.

The one issue I'll raise is dividing Iraq into separate regions -- the partition of India did not go very well and there are still disputes today. The partition of Palestine into Palestine and Jordan (by Britain) and then the subsequent creation of the Israeli state (by the UN) haven't worked very well either. The only artificial division that did hold was West and East Berlin and to pull that off, we had to maintain a continuous military presence.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michaelmike5556
Iraq: Draw down the U.S. troops
So you're a dope smoking, non-sexually repressed Republican? A Libertarian, no less! Ron Paul would be another friggin ideological disaster.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

yes proudly

i dont know i think it would be worth a try
Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

A Libertarian, no less! Ron Paul would be another friggin ideological disaster.

ron paul isnt a libertarian . he is more a Pat Bucanian type

anti free trade
anti Mexico
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:10 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Michaelmike5556
A Libertarian, no less! Ron Paul would be another friggin ideological disaster.

ron paul isnt a libertarian . he is more a Pat Bucanian type

anti free trade
anti Mexico
Think he's the closet you get as a Libertarian and still be possibly electable.

Personally, I want Kucinich as President, but realistically I'll probably take the DEM ballot in the primaries (you get to choose in AZ) to vote against Hils if she's leading (whoever is second gets my vote!), then vote for whoever wins the primary, even if it is Hils. Got to be realistic!
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

The one issue I'll raise is dividing Iraq into separate regions -- the partition of India did not go very well and there are still disputes today. The partition of Palestine into Palestine and Jordan (by Britain) and then the subsequent creation of the Israeli state (by the UN) haven't worked very well either. The only artificial division that did hold was West and East Berlin and to pull that off, we had to maintain a continuous military presence.
I don't know enough about that region (or the religion) to fully understand the ramifications of de-centralizing the gov't. FWIW, though, I would think this approach may make things a bit less violent if the partitions were based around the Shia, Sunni and Kurd sects. I ask 'why can't they all get along?' but if they can't, this seems the next best answer.

anyways, just my 2cents worth
Old Sep 27th 2007, 3:08 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I don't know enough about that region (or the religion) to fully understand the ramifications of de-centralizing the gov't. FWIW, though, I would think this approach may make things a bit less violent if the partitions were based around the Shia, Sunni and Kurd sects. I ask 'why can't they all get along?' but if they can't, this seems the next best answer.

anyways, just my 2cents worth
How would you prevent Turkey (a NATO member and EU candidate BTW) immediately invading Kurdistan?

In the bottom 2/3s, you're now going to have Saudi Arabia and Iran egging on their two sympathetic groupings and running a proxy war on Iraqi soil. Ain't so simple, I'm afraid.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by KJ2007
The following is an interesting exercise.... You answer a few questions then click the "find your candidate button" and the program selects the candidate who's position on the issues is most like your own... You may be surprised at what you find....... Click the link below....

http://www.wqad.com/Global/link.asp?L=259460

Now I just need to figure out who Chris Dodd is.
Dennis Kucinich seems to be my candidate. Who the hell is he?
Old Sep 27th 2007, 3:39 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Think he's the closet you get as a Libertarian and still be possibly electable.

!
One of my mates has a man crush on Ron Paul, mainly because he is pro gun rights (my mate is not the sharpest tool and does not quite understand many of the other issues)

I am not keen on his pro-life stance as I am I suppose pro-choice

Would take him in a heartbeat over some of the other cnuts the repubs have

FFS one of my wife's girlfriends (26 and a bit stupid sand also probably has no idea why she should be supporting anyone) is on the Fred Thompson bandwagon!!! WTF?!
Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:34 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

I got

38: Biden
35: Obama/Clinton
33: Richardson

If Obama, Biden or Richardson were in the Whitehouse, I wouldn't complain too much, but I've seriously gone off Hillary since she became a senator and started yelling about stupid things like video game violence. I feel we'd be trading Big Brother for Big Mother.

Anyway, this is all moot as I'm not going to make it to citizenship in time to vote. And my political leanings are more libertarian socially than liberal. So for the record, and because I don't care too much who knows, here are my answers...

Iraq:
Draw down the U.S. troops and decentralize Iraq by dividing it into regions of separate governments.

Immigration: I favor a guest worker program, while tightening border security.

Michaelmike5556: well i favor open Immigration i see this as totally a market driven . If its good the economy its good for the USA .

Me too, funny enough. That's never presented as a option, though is it? And everyone starts crying about how the terrorists could come in, forgetting that, well, terrorists come in anyway.

Taxes: Do you believe the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts should be made permanent?
No.

Michaelmike5556: but it was yes or no . i favor a Natl Sales tax and the end of the IRS and income taxes both state and federal . also the end of Property taxes .

Mostly agreed, though I haven't researched enough into the economics of replacing income with sales taxes. I'd love the IRS to go away, though. However, I answered No to this question as I don't believe that the tax cuts that were made were good ones, and feel they need to be reviewed rather than ratified.

Stem-Cell Research : YES

Health Care: Favor

But I believe that we should either limit it to children-only, or give each state power to decide for itself.

Abortion: Do you favor or oppose legalized abortion in the United States?
Favor. I also believe that Roe Vs. Wade should be thrown out in favor of an actual Act of Congress like most proper countries have.

Social Security: Do you favor the concept of privatization of Social Security to any degree?

No.

Line-Item Veto: Do you favor or oppose giving the president a "line-item" veto; that is, the ability to remove parts of a spending bill without needing to veto the entire bill?
Favor

Energy: Do you support federal assistance for the production of ethanol and/or biofuel as an alternative to oil?
No. I think market forces should be allowed to determine oil alternatives. Bureaucracy and cronyism killed electric car research in favor of hydrogen fuel cells, and I believe that government interference will stifle the potential viability of exploring a full range of energy alternatives.

Marriage: Do you favor or oppose a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman?
Oppose

Death Penalty: Do you favor or oppose the use of the death penalty for certain crimes?
Favor.

And I like Ron Paul's position on many subjects, but he's made quite a few dodgy statements in the past about race that I can't fully get behind him...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.