Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:34 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

Originally Posted by Boiler
Does that make him a Scot?
No, just that his being English is somewhat irrelevant given that he's been in Scotland for 34 years IMO.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If I end up being in the US for 34 years I will be what I guess to be his age.

If the question related to the US, I think my past would definitely influence my comments compared to someone who was born and lived here.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

As others have mentioned the guy is English with a particular political point of view.

He is in favour of the EU but wants Scotland to leave it, which seemed odd.

Perhaps he is confused, he said he had been a member of the Labour Party since the 1940's.
He said," But it looks increasingly as if staying in the UK means we shall leave the European Union – the world’s biggest political achievement in centuries."
Near the end says,"If this is the way the UK is really heading, I would rather get out, whatever the hazards of independence."So to me he is saying he wants Scotland to leave UK so it will still be a member of EU.

I found it a very interesting article ,pretty much what I having banging on about but the prof said it so much better .He pointed out the bleak future for Scotland staying in the union.Better together? You are having a laugh,better for the south of England more like it.
"We seem likely to be living in a country that continues to impose increasingly punitive and humiliating sanctions on its poorest citizens who have to live on social security benefits"
No comments on how the union has failed these social problems in Scotland or how its going to fix it?
Someone ,obviously a glaswegian left a comment on the profs article.
"There are parts of Glasgow that have a male life expectancy of 51, and are beaten only by parts of Silesia. There is no place in France, Spain, Italy or Greece with such a record. Indeed, even places like Mumbi or Chennai, what we once complacently called the Third World, have better survival rates. Two years ago, aid workers from Malaysia came to Glasgow to see urban poverty and it's effects. We have the highest rates of drug abuse in the EU, by far. You are 80 times more likely to be a heroin addict if born Glasgow than if born in Paris. We are the only region of the EU where murder is the greatest cause of death among 15-25 year old men."
"More of the same? I can't imagine why you would."
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by neilcumming
He said," But it looks increasingly as if staying in the UK means we shall leave the European Union – the world’s biggest political achievement in centuries."
Near the end says,"If this is the way the UK is really heading, I would rather get out, whatever the hazards of independence."So to me he is saying he wants Scotland to leave UK so it will still be a member of EU.

I found it a very interesting article ,pretty much what I having banging on about but the prof said it so much better .He pointed out the bleak future for Scotland staying in the union.Better together? You are having a laugh,better for the south of England more like it.
"We seem likely to be living in a country that continues to impose increasingly punitive and humiliating sanctions on its poorest citizens who have to live on social security benefits"
No comments on how the union has failed these social problems in Scotland or how its going to fix it?
Someone ,obviously a glaswegian left a comment on the profs article.
"There are parts of Glasgow that have a male life expectancy of 51, and are beaten only by parts of Silesia. There is no place in France, Spain, Italy or Greece with such a record. Indeed, even places like Mumbi or Chennai, what we once complacently called the Third World, have better survival rates. Two years ago, aid workers from Malaysia came to Glasgow to see urban poverty and it's effects. We have the highest rates of drug abuse in the EU, by far. You are 80 times more likely to be a heroin addict if born Glasgow than if born in Paris. We are the only region of the EU where murder is the greatest cause of death among 15-25 year old men."
"More of the same? I can't imagine why you would."
That is why I was wondering if he has a full set of marbles.

There is of course a possibility that UK will leave EU, but there is a certainty that if Scotland leaves the UK it leaves the EU.

One wonders what the SNP are going to be able to do which they are doing now, and why are they not doing it now.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:51 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.scotcen.org.uk/media/2656...-half-time.pdf

It seems as though it's very much as you were then.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:13 pm
Account Closed

The 500 quid question, I remember that being mentioned before.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze

So more than 3:2 against, and significantly more than 2:1 against if you include the no devolution/no parliament group. Oh, and perhaps the most insurmountable problem (for the pro-independence crowd), is that the figures are fairly steady after 14 years of polling. On that basis, that document isn't "the score at half time", these are the dying minutes of the game! ..... Who's going to grab Neil by the scruff of the neck and pull his head out of the sand?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 22nd 2014 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So more than 3:2 against, and significantly more than 2:1 against if you include the no devolution/no parliament group. Oh, and perhaps the most insurmountable problem (for the pro-independence crowd), that the figures are fairly steady after 14 years of polling. On that basis, that document isn't "the score at half time", these are the dying minutes of the game! ..... Who's going to grab Neil by the scruff of the neck and pull his head out of the sand?
Are they hoping to steal a win in Fergie time, or something? Since he is Scottish and all that.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the same country that (allegedly) has entire generations growing up 'on the dole', and which sports TV shows with names such as 'benefits street' ... ? This country is too stingy for Scotland?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Is this the same country that (allegedly) has entire generations growing up 'on the dole', and which sports TV shows with names such as 'benefits street' ... ? This country is too stingy for Scotland?
The concern is that the good times are coming to an end.

With Government debt at 5x GDP all it would take is a small increase in borrowing costs for the whole edifice to crumble.

The more interesting question is how Scotland would fare by itself.

Are they relying on getting on the EU gravy train? Does not seem possible on a short term basis.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze

Yes very interesting reading.It looks at half-time we are losing but Im keeping faith in my team and believe Alex (Salmond) and his coaching staff will rally the team ,pull back the deficit and win the game.A game of 2 halves you might say

Yes,not much change in the polls but I was interested in table 5.
"As many as 88% of those who are most optimistic about the economic consequences of independence now support the idea, while just 5% of those who are most pessimistic do so. Meanwhile, the figures for how people will or are likely to vote in the referendum are much the same"
500 pounds better off ,lets just say 10 quid a week,thats a lot of money for a lot of people in Scotland,could swing it for the SNP
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Yes,not much change in the polls but I was interested in table 5.
"As many as 88% of those who are most optimistic about the economic consequences of independence now support the idea, ....
In other words, there is virtually no upside for the pro-independence camp because almost nine out of ten people who think that is, financially, a good idea are already in the"pro" camp!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In other words, there is virtually no upside for the pro-independence camp because almost nine out of ten people who think that is, financially, a good idea are already in the"pro" camp!
It could swing the "dont knows" into the YES vote.10 quid a week extra could stop that humiliating trip to the food bank but then again vote NO and er ?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

500 pounds better off ,lets just say 10 quid a week,thats a lot of money for a lot of people in Scotland,could swing it for the SNP
Nobody is saying that they would be better off. That is how much it would cost to buy the vote.

Either way.

Which is sad.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nobody is saying that they would be better off. That is how much it would cost to buy the vote.

Either way.

Which is sad.
It is sad how a tenner a week could make so many peoples lifes a little better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.