Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sadness when coming backfrom UK to USA

Sadness when coming backfrom UK to USA

Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:48 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sadness when coming backfrom UK to USA

Charleston is supposed to be quite nice. Been to Memphis... mmm... no.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Charleston is supposed to be quite nice. Been to Memphis... mmm... no.
Kind of pretty but a few drawbacks.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
Both counties have their positives and negatives but I must admit I find English towns congested to the point of inhumanity! We stayed in Lewes, East Sussex which is a lovely Georgian town with VERY steep streets. I got very tired of being bumped and jostled on the sidewalks and close to being mown down by drivers who clearly thought that driving down a one lane backstreet was an invitation to try out for the Indy 500. The antidote was taking long train rides to Eastbourne and Southampton across acres and acres of lush, verdant ( and virtually uninhabited) farmland.
A clear plus is the quality and choices of foods. At the South of England Show I bought 3 kinds of duck sausages which were unequaled in flavor and cost - 8 pounds for a kilo! The cheeses are fabulous and the bread.....warm bread fresh from the oven with good butter is the ultimate comfort food!
This may sound old fashioned and fuddy-duddy but I was shocked at the use of bad language in the streets by kids and the disrespect shown by kids to adults. I encountered a family on Southampton Central railway station, two teens, a parent 2 grandparents and a great-grandfather who had just returned from a cruise and were arguing about having had to spend 20 pounds for a taxi from the docks. ( I got this from sharing a lift to the platform with them). The argument escalated with the kids shouting f words and c words at the grandparents on the platform as they were entering a train.
Call me a fragile flower but I've never heard that kind of language used in public by American families and I was numbed by the ugliness of it all.
Another shocker was public drunkenness. I encountered quite a few sloppy drunks while taking the bus in the evening from Uckfield to Lewes and on my evening walks around town. Perhaps this all occurred when I lived at home and I just didn't notice it?
Public drunkenness? Probably Poles.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 1:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
Public drunkenness? Probably Poles.
That is an incredibly stupid statement. I have also had the misfortune to witness gross public drunkenness on trips to the UK, and the culprits were obviously British to the core. What I found worst was that during one incident, which took place on a train from London to Leeds at only 7 pm, the rest of the passengers behaved as if absolutely nothing untoward was going on, while I was utterly disgusted.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
That is an incredibly stupid statement. I have also had the misfortune to witness gross public drunkenness on trips to the UK, and the culprits were obviously British to the core. What I found worst was that during one incident, which took place on a train from London to Leeds at only 7 pm, the rest of the passengers behaved as if absolutely nothing untoward was going on, while I was utterly disgusted.
Is it part of this UKIP hysteria, blame everything on the Poles?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Is it part of this UKIP hysteria, blame everything on the Poles?
Yeah, those pesky Polish immigrants. Like RAF Polish Squadron 303. Damn Poles, coming over to the UK, protecting our women and children during the war.

Imagine ...
Old Jun 19th 2014, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yeah, those pesky Polish immigrants. Like RAF Polish Squadron 303. Damn Poles, coming over to the UK, protecting our women and children during the war.

Imagine ...
Taking our protecting jobs
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:13 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Taking our protecting jobs
A European community uniting for the common good. Who ever heard of such a thing
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
A European community uniting for the common good. Who ever heard of such a thing
Lest we have forgotten.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:47 pm
I have a comma problem

Lest we have forgotten.
I fear so.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Polish last name, my mother had a Polish last name and my grandparents had Polish last names. Where I was raised it wasn't unusual to see people sleeping it off in the gutter on a Saturday Morning. On the other hand the English have a low rate of alcoholism (at least they used to, unless things have changed). There's cultural differences between the two groups, one of which is their attitude towards alcohol. Poles and Romanians and Bulgarians are being recruited into England strictly on the basis of working for lower wages. There's a five to one difference between the zloty and the pound. Why work in Poland for a thousand zloty's/month when they can go to
England and multiply it five times.

The Eurozone (or what ever they call it) doesn't keep the Euros from going to War, that's been NATO's acomplishment. For all practical purposes the Eurozone has become greater Germany. That's why England should leave and focus on emerging markets.
And one last item, the English should be so defensive when someone criticizes the English but most of you are conspicuously silent. The working class English in your country are getting a raw deal and it's about time someone started speaking up.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have a Polish last name, my mother had a Polish last name and my grandparents had Polish last names. Where I was raised it wasn't unusual to see people sleeping it off in the gutter on a Saturday Morning. On the other hand the English have a low rate of alcoholism (at least they used to, unless things have changed). There's cultural differences between the two groups, one of which is their attitude towards alcohol. Poles and Romanians and Bulgarians are being recruited into England strictly on the basis of working for lower wages. There's a five to one difference between the zloty and the pound. Why work in Poland for a thousand zloty's/month when they can go to

The Eurozone (or what ever they call it) doesn't keep the Euros from going to War, that's been NATO's acomplishment. For all practical purposes the Eurozone has become greater Germany. That's why England should leave and focus on emerging markets.
And one last item, the English should be so defensive when someone criticizes the English but most of you are conspicuously silent. The working class English in your country are getting a raw deal and it's about time someone started speaking up.
Have you ever actually been to Britain?
Old Jun 20th 2014, 7:18 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Polish last name, my mother had a Polish last name and my grandparents had Polish last names. Where I was raised it wasn't unusual to see people sleeping it off in the gutter on a Saturday Morning. On the other hand the English have a low rate of alcoholism (at least they used to, unless things have changed). There's cultural differences between the two groups, one of which is their attitude towards alcohol.
The English at least have a very high rate of alcohol consumption and it's not really about alcoholism anyway, it more about public disorder caused by drunkenness.

Poles and Romanians and Bulgarians are being recruited into England strictly on the basis of working for lower wages. There's a five to one difference between the zloty and the pound. Why work in Poland for a thousand zloty's/month when they can go to
That's not how exchange rates work... but anyway I always think this is somewhat misleading because the reason the wages are higher is because the cost of living is higher. So if you stick around your life might be better but you're not necessarily better off in real terms.

The Eurozone (or what ever they call it) doesn't keep the Euros from going to War,
One of the express purposes of the EU was to stop war, did you not see the D-Day celebration for example? When they were dancing all over the EU flag? The purpose of NATO was to stop the USSR from invading and screwing it all up.

For all practical purposes the Eurozone has become greater Germany. That's why England should leave and focus on emerging markets.
(The UK is not in the Eurozone, it is in the EU though.)

This is what UKIP says (or used to say) and it is barking mad. The other EU countries are by far the UK's largest trading partners and the UK's main industry at this point are financial services, which are used by developed countries to a greater extent than emerging markets, obviously, because they have larger economies. Not that you shouldn't be in emerging markets, but you should be in ALL markets.

Not as raw of a deal as Americans get! The minimum wage for example in the UK is around $11/hour, compared to $7.25/hour in the US. But anyway the fact this is an expat forum and ergo full of British people who left, doesn't really indicate an enormous love of the country, does it?

Personally I can't stand the place, if it makes you feel any better...
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

And as for the UK, the last time I was there I nearly went mental. Too noisy, too many people, too crowded, overcast,..........And the thing I notice is that because I rarely visit, I notice just how much more crowded it has gotten, people who live there don't realize the gradual change.
It's true - we don't notice it......we've obviously become attuned to it all....even sedate and gracious Cheltenham, Capital of the Cotswolds, is used to crowds of people...so many festivals of all kinds all the year round for one thing.

I was with my partner in the Gielgud Theatre in Shaftesbury Avenue, London - Angela Lansbury playing the part of Madame Arcati in Coward's "Blithe Spirit" and at 88 years of of age she certainly was a blithe spirit on stage, no mistake there!

In the interval we got talking to a couple from Vermont, USA who said that their ONLY gripe with London was that it was SO very crowded, so astonishingly cosmopolitan and international, and very noisy and everything moved at a hectic pace. Coming from a very small town in rural New England, they said it was such a contrast to what they were used to.

Our response to that was that we don't really notice it anyway - as far as we're concerned London has always been like that - if it wasn't we'd know that something was wrong somewhere along the line. The same can be said for Edinburgh for that matter.

But even in the nearby Cotswold area you can certainly find corners of relative calm and serenity in many of the villages, especially those away from the main roads.....among the most scenically beautiful countryside imaginable.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
It's true - we don't notice it......we've obviously become attuned to it all....even sedate and gracious Cheltenham, Capital of the Cotswolds, is used to crowds of people...so many festivals of all kinds all the year round for one thing.

I was with my partner in the Gielgud Theatre in Shaftesbury Avenue, London - Angela Lansbury playing the part of Madame Arcati in Coward's "Blithe Spirit" and at 88 years of of age she certainly was a blithe spirit on stage, no mistake there!

In the interval we got talking to a couple from Vermont, USA who said that their ONLY gripe with London was that it was SO very crowded, so astonishingly cosmopolitan and international, and very noisy and everything moved at a hectic pace. Coming from a very small town in rural New England, they said it was such a contrast to what they were used to.

Our response to that was that we don't really notice it anyway - as far as we're concerned London has always been like that - if it wasn't we'd know that something was wrong somewhere along the line. The same can be said for Edinburgh for that matter.

But even in the nearby Cotswold area you can certainly find corners of relative calm and serenity in many of the villages, especially those away from the main roads.....among the most scenically beautiful countryside imaginable.
I used to love finding little pockets of calm in London - there were little gardens around Holborn and behind John Lewis on Oxford St, and bits by the canal in King's Cross. Even they might be busy now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.