Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Road trip suggestions for May

Road trip suggestions for May

Old Mar 18th 2019, 2:20 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip suggestions for May

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
....possible!
What kind of things do you like to see? Could do NYC, up through CT (Mystic Seaport?), RI (Newport mansions?), on to MA (straight to Boston or via Cape Cod?) — something for everyone in the northeast!
Old Mar 18th 2019, 4:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
You could fly into Atlanta and drive up thru the Carolinas and on thru to New England. Possibly fly home from New England airport to avoid back tracking. Pulaski or Tom could give you some routes and advice.
That'd be a long haul, even starting in Atlanta, but from Texas you could follow the Natchez Trace parkway from Natchez, MS to Nashville, then cut over to Bryson City and follow the Blue Ridge Parkway to Rockfish Gap in Virginia. Those two routes would total over 1,100 miles, which IMO is plenty for a week, especially as you have to get to Natchez, and if you then also drove the return leg you'd presumably be looking at 2,500 miles, which I am not sure would make for a relaxing 7 days. ... In a rented car you could head north from Rockfish Gap and fly home from DC.

My thought was the Pacific Coast Highway.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 18th 2019 at 4:12 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

My thought was the Pacific Coast Highway.

Cliff on one side.
Death drop to the sea on the other.
Can't look cause you're navigating.
Nose to tail because gawkers.

Most boring drive in America.

395 where it's at.

Last edited by Hotscot; Mar 18th 2019 at 7:43 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 8:09 am
NM, not new, not Mexico!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
We're going to Moab this weekend to ride dirtbikes.
Watch out for a '97 LR Discovery and a middle-aged jeep driven by our son and his classmate from NMT, the disco may be short of an attached exhaust
Old Mar 20th 2019, 4:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Natchez, MS is lovely in May. Enjoyed our weekend visit there last spring. You can cut across from LA via bridge over the MS River. As said the drive up to TN isn't far and I can do it within a few hours from Hattiesburg, MS. How long a bike ride would it be to the SC coast? Charleston is someplace on my Bucket List as is some of the towns in TN that I have childhood friends living in for decades now, i.e. Gatlinburg, Fort Knox.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Natchez, MS is lovely in May. Enjoyed our weekend visit there last spring. You can cut across from LA via bridge over the MS River. As said the drive up to TN isn't far and I can do it within a few hours from Hattiesburg, MS. How long a bike ride would it be to the SC coast? Charleston is someplace on my Bucket List as is some of the towns in TN that I have childhood friends living in for decades now, i.e. Gatlinburg, Fort Knox.
Charleston is definitely worth a visit, and a rare example of an American city that is truly historic, but the SC isn't much - it is mostly marshy swampland with inlets, so the "coast road" is miles from the coast, flat as a pancake, and lined with pine trees.