Road Trip planning.

Old Nov 9th 2015, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road Trip planning.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Brother in law has done San Diego to San Francisco (Palo Alto) in 10 hours non stop using the I-5. He was in a rush though.....!

Leaving Seattle on Sunday and arriving San Diego on Tuesday afternoon means you are not going to be stopping to look at the views.
No, it's simply get from point A to point B quickly but safely. Only reason are even driving is because of the airfare skyrocketing, so driving is more economical and well flying isn't even in our budget.

Arrive Tuesday, see my mom Wed, dad on Thurs, Zoo on Friday, leave Saturday to get back home.

We don't get much time off up here, 10 days a year but my wife already used 3 of those days for her brothers wedding.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 3:23 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes indeed. Hard route to get lost on.

Probably buy chains on amazon as a just in case. Prices vary 45 to over 100. Clueless as to what kind to get other making sure they fit the car.
If you don't plan on ever using them, cheap ones. (BTW, Oregon will check each vehicle if the conditions are nasty.) But practice on a dry road if it looks like you'll actually need them.
Alternatively, stop in a Les Schwab on your way down Oregon, buy some chains, and return them on the way back.
If you actually plan on using them, you get what you pay for. I used Thules on my Civic for years. Never needed to get behind the tire with those things, they ratcheted down, and released with a click.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 4:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
If you don't plan on ever using them, cheap ones. (BTW, Oregon will check each vehicle if the conditions are nasty.) But practice on a dry road if it looks like you'll actually need them.
Alternatively, stop in a Les Schwab on your way down Oregon, buy some chains, and return them on the way back.
If you actually plan on using them, you get what you pay for. I used Thules on my Civic for years. Never needed to get behind the tire with those things, they ratcheted down, and released with a click.
I hope to not use them, so don't want to spend much money. We don't them here in BC as winter tires are sufficient on most highways, and they are not permitted to be used around town and only on the highways when permitted.

The main highway we use in BC only requires commercial vehicles to have chains.

We would just never use them here.

May just wait and see, if they are needed and stop somewhere ahead and buy some.

Do chains make a difference? They used to require them here on some highways, but 2 years ago changed the rules.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 5:31 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from the obvious point that I5 is fast but the coast is a lot (a... lot) better looking, two small tips:

1. I5 will take you right past Mt Shasta which is (in my opinion) one of the more underrated/under-visited spots in the entire country. It's very beautiful. Get off the highway and drive around a bit if you can in that area.

2. I would try to take at least a portion of the PCH south of San Francisco. Santa Cruz (one of my favorite small cities in the US), Monterrey and down through Carmel and Big Sur is rightly regarded as one of the great drives in the world. Cut back over to I5 thereafter.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 9:15 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Aside from the obvious point that I5 is fast but the coast is a lot (a... lot) better looking, two small tips:

1. I5 will take you right past Mt Shasta which is (in my opinion) one of the more underrated/under-visited spots in the entire country. It's very beautiful. Get off the highway and drive around a bit if you can in that area.

2. I would try to take at least a portion of the PCH south of San Francisco. Santa Cruz (one of my favorite small cities in the US), Monterrey and down through Carmel and Big Sur is rightly regarded as one of the great drives in the world. Cut back over to I5 thereafter.

Driving through Shasta years ago we had to pull over and admire the beauty.

The tall redwoods and bluest natural lake I've ever seen... we jumped right in and splashed around.

Every year we talk about getting a house boat on the lake up there for a holiday.