Road Trip planning.

Old Nov 7th 2015, 8:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Road Trip planning.

Anyone ever drive from Seattle to Southern California? (I'll be starting in British Columbia near Vancouver, but I know the drive between Vancouver and Seattle well, its the Seattle to San Diego, I have never done.

I assume I-5 is the best route? Not in a super big hurry, but trying to arrive on a Tuesday and departing on Sunday before.

Not a big fan of driving in the winter, but flying is too costly, and it's the first chance in 5 years to be home for Christmas.

Any idea's/suggestions etc appreciated.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:00 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road Trip planning.

I've done it the other way, San Diego to Vancouver.

We weren't in a rush so stopped overnight for a few days each in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Portland. You could probably go straight from San Francisco to San Diego at a push, and depending on traffic. All depends on your tolerance for long days on the road

The 5 is quickest, but if you have the opportunity to take the 1 / 101 you should take it - simply the most beautiful stretch of road I've ever driven on.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
I've done it the other way, San Diego to Vancouver.

We weren't in a rush so stopped overnight for a few days each in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Portland. You could probably go straight from San Francisco to San Diego at a push, and depending on traffic. All depends on your tolerance for long days on the road

The 5 is quickest, but if you have the opportunity to take the 1 / 101 you should take it - simply the most beautiful stretch of road I've ever driven on.
I was thinking about the 101, I've always wanted to do it. Is the added time minimal? We are leaving on a Sunday in the afternoon, and hope to arrive Tuesday evening.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 1:05 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I've done I5 from Portland to southern California. At the time of year you are travelling before you set out go to tripcheck.com (ODOT traffic info) and check the cameras for the Siskiyou Pass. That time of year it can be heavy snow and a requirement to use or carry chains. It can also be clear but better to know before hand than get a nasty surprise.

Last edited by lansbury; Nov 8th 2015 at 1:11 am.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Anyone ever drive from Seattle to Southern California? (I'll be starting in British Columbia near Vaoughtncouver, but I know the drive between Vancouver and Seattle well, its the Seattle to San Diego, I have never done.

I assume I-5 is the best route? Not in a super big hurry, but trying to arrive on a Tuesday and departing on Sunday before.

Not a big fan of driving in the winter, but flying is too costly, and it's the first chance in 5 years to be home for Christmas.

Any idea's/suggestions etc appreciated.
I would never go on a long trip without my Garmin Nuvi. Best thing I ever bought. Last month I went on 2 road trips, racking nearly 5900 miles in 9 days of driving; couldn't have done it without the Garmin.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 3:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lansbury
I've done I5 from Portland to southern California. At the time of year you are travelling before you set out go to tripcheck.com (ODOT traffic info) and check the cameras for the Siskiyou Pass. That time of year it can be heavy snow and a requirement to use or carry chains. It can also be clear but better to know before hand than get a nasty surprise.
Snow is the biggest worry I have. I need to see if I can find some chains for sale to fit the car just in case. They are not required here on the mountains if you have correct tires, so not something we have ever needed.

Guess I could risk it and if we can pass through, just change plans, not like we need chains and the stores won't take them back around here.

Would be nicer to fly, but airlines are charging a small fortune.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I would never go on a long trip without my Garmin Nuvi. Best thing I ever bought. Last month I went on 2 road trips, racking nearly 5900 miles in 9 days of driving; couldn't have done it without the Garmin.

We have a GPS but it's not a fancy one, will get you to point A to B but not really much use for anything else.

Phone works better, but we have no data in the US.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 4:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We have a GPS but it's not a fancy one, will get you to point A to B but not really much use for anything else.

Phone works better, but we have no data in the US.
I doubt you need GPS for that trip. Get on I-5 at US/Canadian border and head south. Get off I-5 at San Diego, if you reach Mexico you went about 20 miles to far on I-5.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

Yes indeed. Hard route to get lost on.

Probably buy chains on amazon as a just in case. Prices vary 45 to over 100. Clueless as to what kind to get other making sure they fit the car.

I doubt you need GPS for that trip. Get on I-5 at US/Canadian border and head south. Get off I-5 at San Diego, if you reach Mexico you went about 20 miles to far on I-5.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 7:00 pm

Probably buy chains on amazon as a just in case. Prices vary 45 to over 100. Clueless as to what kind to get other making sure they fit the car.
Something which is easy to fit. Z6 or Super Z6 from the Security Chain Co I have seen well recommended, and mid range price wise.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 8:50 pm

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed. Hard route to get lost on.

You won't need to worry about road conditions in Southern California, just the drivers .
Old Nov 9th 2015, 12:51 am
Account Closed

Something which is easy to fit. Z6 or Super Z6 from the Security Chain Co I have seen well recommended, and mid range price wise.
Those are the one's I was looking at on amazon dot com and if I didn't have to use them, they will take them back most likely.

You won't need to worry about road conditions in Southern California, just the drivers .
Oh yes for sure, it's the in between parts in the mountains...
Old Nov 9th 2015, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much any of the Oregon coast and California coast on Hwy 1 or 101 is worth seeing if you have the time, but it doesn't sound like you do. Kind of a shame because some of it is really beautiful. You'd probably need to add a couple of days drive time to make it worth while. If you could spare an extra day, Hwy 1 through Big Sur south of Monterey would be a great choice and probably the easiest diversion off I-5.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey what's wrong with our driving, don't expect lane discipline, allow for drivers to check shitebook while weaving and you'll be good

Avoid all roads around LA between the hours of 00.01 and 23.59 to miss the traffic
Old Nov 9th 2015, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Brother in law has done San Diego to San Francisco (Palo Alto) in 10 hours non stop using the I-5. He was in a rush though.....!

Leaving Seattle on Sunday and arriving San Diego on Tuesday afternoon means you are not going to be stopping to look at the views.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by dj6372
Avoid all roads around LA between the hours of 00.01 and 23.59 to miss the traffic
Unless it's a holiday weekend, at which case accept your fate .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.