Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Renewing British passport

Renewing British passport

Old Apr 23rd 2014, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing British passport

Originally Posted by g1ant
Well luckily there isn't anywhere on the declaration you sign that asks you if you have another passport. I'll sleep sound in my bed tonight.
Actually there is.

Here are the guidance notes:
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ance_10.13.pdf

Uncancelled passports
You will be asked for details of any passport (British
or otherwise) which has not yet been cancelled.
You must send us all uncancelled passports with the
application and provide the passport numbers.
An uncancelled passport is one that is either:
• current and in use or
• has expired but has not been physically altered (e.g.
corner cut off by the issuing authority).

Here is the list of supporting documents required:
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._Gp1_11.13.PDF

In every scenario you are asked for "Any other uncancelled non- British passports relating to you"

The application form asks about previous passports. "Have you had any sort of passport or travel document before or been included in one?" It then goes on to ask for details of the passport.

And, finally, the declaration on the application form includes the following:

- I have not previously held a passport of any description, or been
included in one, other than that stated above.
- All information given in this application is correct to the best of my
knowledge and belief.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 9:53 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

And, finally, the declaration on the application form includes the following:

- I have not previously held a passport of any description, or been
included in one, other than that stated above.
- All information given in this application is correct to the best of my
knowledge and belief.
Interesting. My declaration does not say that.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Another question. Is your old UK passport returned with the new one? I ask because the old passport contains the E2visa, which, for us, is obviously important to have in our possession.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Another question. Is your old UK passport returned with the new one? I ask because the old passport contains the E2visa, which, for us, is obviously important to have in our possession.
It will be returned, but they seem to send them separately now. I received my new UK passport first, then 10 days later received the old canceled one.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You never, ever send a valid passport to a foreign government. Your US passport is the property of the US government. Send a photocopy.
I sure hope you never have a need to travel to a country that requires you to apply for a Visa!

The Chinese government currently has my (Australian) passport, and my US Visa contained within it.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
It will be returned, but will be somehow invalidated. I'm not sure how the UK does this, but normally it's one or more of punching a hole through the photo page, cutting off the corners, or cutting off the machine-readable strip on the photo page.

The US will accept your US Visa in your old passport along with your new passport for re-entry into the US, as long as the US Visa itself isn't damaged in any way.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

They use a punch to make a hole in the passport and sometimes cut off the edges. Vandals.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scot47
They use a punch to make a hole in the passport and sometimes cut off the edges. Vandals.
That's interesting! I've never seen the punch hole methods but of all my old passports they have cut the edges off
Old Apr 29th 2014, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Griff985 is just really niceGriff985 is just really niceGriff985 is just really niceGriff985 is just really niceGriff985 is just really niceGriff985 is just really niceGriff985 is just really niceGriff985 is just really nice

I may be a bit thick, so please excuse me if this is a really obvious question and I am not catching on, but why would you need / want, 2 passports?
I could understand proof of citizenship, but a birth certificate would suffice for this right?
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
That's interesting! I've never seen the punch hole methods but of all my old passports they have cut the edges off
HMPO will generally snip the corner(s) off your bio-data page and therefore make the MRZ strip unreadable but without damaging any valid visas that may remain.

Originally Posted by Griff985
I may be a bit thick, so please excuse me if this is a really obvious question and I am not catching on, but why would you need / want, 2 passports?
I could understand proof of citizenship, but a birth certificate would suffice for this right?
You mean two passports of differing nationalities? To enjoy the privileges that each citizenship brings e.g. to enter and remain in your country of citizenship without restrictions.

It's also a legal requirement for some countries, the United States for example, to enter and exit your country of citizenship on that country's passport.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It's also a legal requirement for some countries, the United States for example, to enter and exit your country of citizenship on that country's passport.
FWIW, the UK does not have this requirement. However, if you enter on a non-UK passport, then you are (by default, at least) entering as a visitor which can cause issues if you overstay your visit.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by docnetau
FWIW, the UK does not have this requirement. However, if you enter on a non-UK passport, then you are (by default, at least) entering as a visitor which can cause issues if you overstay your visit.
Correct, the UK doesn't, but it's always better to enter on a British passport if you're a citizen even for a short visit as you'll avoid both the queue and the questioning from the Immigration Officer.
Old May 1st 2014, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You never, ever send a valid passport to a foreign government. Your US passport is the property of the US government. Send a photocopy.

Ian
This is incorrect.

My current UK passport is six years old and has been sent to no less than five foreign embassies in order to gain visas to visit those countries. In fact when I go to the US embassy in a few weeks to get my visa for the US it'll be the first time I've ever gained a visa by visiting an embassy in person. I've gained all previous visas by sending my passport to the embassy following the common practice, or gained a visa at a port of entry.
Old May 1st 2014, 5:36 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pipsi
This is incorrect.

My current UK passport is six years old and has been sent to no less than five foreign embassies in order to gain visas to visit those countries. In fact when I go to the US embassy in a few weeks to get my visa for the US it'll be the first time I've ever gained a visa by visiting an embassy in person. I've gained all previous visas by sending my passport to the embassy following the common practice, or gained a visa at a port of entry.
This is a discussion about renewing your UK passport while living in the USA, not about applying for a visa for another country. There is no need to send your US passport back to the UK with the application. A photocopy will do. In the context of this discussion Ian is correct, do not send a valid US passport.
Old May 1st 2014, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
This is a discussion about renewing your UK passport while living in the USA, not about applying for a visa for another country. There is no need to send your US passport back to the UK with the application. A photocopy will do. In the context of this discussion Ian is correct, do not send a valid US passport.
The poster used the term 'never, ever send your passport to a foreign agency' implying that one should never send it under any circumstances. At no point did the poster state that 'in this situation don't...'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.