British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Renewing British passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/renewing-british-passport-822347/)

MatildaW Jan 20th 2014 8:27 pm

Renewing British passport

I'm a British citizen living in the US who also has an American passport. I want to renew my British passport which has expired. I have downloaded the appropriate forms and instructions, but I am uneasy about having to send my American passport along with the application. I have tried calling the UK number listed as PassportAdviceline but have been told the number is not operational. Has anyone ibn my situation applied recently and sent his/her passport?

Advice welcome.

ian-mstm Jan 20th 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Renewing British passport

Originally Posted by MatildaW (Post 11088073)
I am uneasy about having to send my American passport along with the application.

You must be misinterpreting the instructions - because you are not required to send your US passport. Send a photocopy.

Ian

ScousePete Jan 20th 2014 10:31 pm

Not sure if the required documentation has changed recently, but according to THIS document, dated 11/13, you must send "Any other uncancelled non-British passports relating to you"

Although there is a proviso -

Uncancelled non-British passports: We strongly prefer to receive the passport. However in exceptional circumstances where you may need to retain the passport, we will accept a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (including visa pages). We reserve the right to request the passport at a later stage as we examine your application. Please provide an explanation as to why you need to retain your passport.

Derrygal Jan 20th 2014 10:44 pm

I just renewed mine last month - sent it off in November and got it back just before Christmas. You only need to send your current (expiring or expired) British passport - the UK has no interest in any other passports.

RICH Jan 20th 2014 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by ScousePete (Post 11088242)
Not sure if the required documentation has changed recently, but according to THIS document, dated 11/13, you must send "Any other uncancelled non-British passports relating to you"

Uncancelled non-British passports: We strongly prefer to receive the passport. However in exceptional circumstances where you may need to retain the passport, we will accept a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (including visa pages). We reserve the right to request the passport at a later stage as we examine your application. Please provide an explanation as to why you need to retain your passport.

Without looking into it, I suggest there is a difference between a first UK pp application, and a renewal.

ian-mstm Jan 20th 2014 11:38 pm

You never, ever send a valid passport to a foreign government. Your US passport is the property of the US government. Send a photocopy.

Ian

lansbury Jan 21st 2014 12:31 am

I've just sent mine back for renewal, it was delivered there today. I didn't even mention my US passport on the form, let alone sent the US passport or a copy to them. See what happens.

JAJ Jan 21st 2014 1:09 am

Originally Posted by ScousePete (Post 11088242)

Anyone with a foreign passport always has an acceptable reason to retain it (travel and/or domestic proof of ID/citizenship). Either way, regardless of what the form demands, it looks like it's not enforced. As someone else says, whether someone has (or has not) a foreign passport is entirely irrelevant as to whether that person is or is not a British citizen.

First-time passport applicants should normally submit a copy of a foreign passport, simply because they do need proof of ID.

ScousePete Jan 21st 2014 12:18 pm

I'm not saying I agree with it. Not saying it's fair. Not saying a foreign passport is any of HM's business. Just quoting the document, which includes renewals.

JAJ Jan 22nd 2014 3:32 am

Originally Posted by ScousePete (Post 11089020)
I'm not saying I agree with it. Not saying it's fair. Not saying a foreign passport is any of HM's business. Just quoting the document, which includes renewals.

It's your choice as to who/what you want to believe. Just like it's your problem if you have to go without your foreign passport for weeks, and/or it gets lost by the British Passport Service.

MarylandNed Jan 22nd 2014 1:49 pm

Do NOT send the US passport. We are a family of 6 who all hold multiple citizenships. We just sent a photocopy of the foreign passports and explained on the application form that the originals are not being sent in because they are needed for travel.

JeremyK Jan 22nd 2014 5:07 pm

Recently faced this dilemma myself and did not send the foreign passport, just a photocopy. No complications.

g1ant Apr 22nd 2014 5:27 pm

And how does the UK passport office know that I have a US passport anyway? I don't think they have any way of knowing that information.

MarylandNed Apr 22nd 2014 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by g1ant (Post 11229461)
And how does the UK passport office know that I have a US passport anyway? I don't think they have any way of knowing that information.

Probably not. But then you'd be lying on the form if you didn't disclose it. Some people can do that and still sleep at night. Some can't. Personal choice.

g1ant Apr 22nd 2014 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 11229846)
Probably not. But then you'd be lying on the form if you didn't disclose it. Some people can do that and still sleep at night. Some can't. Personal choice.

Well luckily there isn't anywhere on the declaration you sign that asks you if you have another passport. I'll sleep sound in my bed tonight.