Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Relaxing Gun Control

Relaxing Gun Control

Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:30 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relaxing Gun Control

Originally Posted by mrken30
But don't use a gun to threaten someone , if you feel threatened.

Judge convicts man who pulled gun at Black Lives Matter rally in - KPTV - FOX 12
Agreed, like I said before, the only time I would draw my weapon is if my next step was to pull the trigger.

The person has to actually have the ability to cause you harm, the opportunity to cause you harm and there must be true jeopardy. It's the only way something will be called a legal self-defense shoot.

Anyone carrying a firearm should be aware of the triad so as not to get themselves into serious legal trouble.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Everyone has the right to defend themselves from harm, if the person perpetrating the harm gets hurt - well sorry, you could have aided by the law.
I try not to have too much of a cavalier attitude when it comes to hurting people. Big deal.

Don't mistake non-violence for complacency. Situational awareness can save you every bit as easily as a gun will and it's free.

This is the point where we'll never agree. I do need it, to protect me and mine. It's a tool. I'm not Rambo, I don't expect to have to gun down a whole Army division that's breaking in, but if I need it I know I'll have it. If I never need the shotgun then it'll sit there in the corner of the bedroom unused (except for Saturdays when I take it out back and practice manipulating it and my pistol and bringing them on target as fast as possible) and I'll be fine with that. Just the same as I'll be fine paying for, but never making a claim on, my home insurance
You still don't need it. You don't need insurance either, you either choose to buy it or you're mandated by the law to buy it in the case of car insurance, etc. I think you're entirely missing my point. You want it and that's fine, but nobody needs a gun.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I try not to have too much of a cavalier attitude when it comes to hurting people. Big deal.

Don't mistake non-violence for complacency. Situational awareness can save you every bit as easily as a gun will and it's free.

You still don't need it. You don't need insurance either, you either choose to buy it or you're mandated by the law to buy it in the case of car insurance, etc. I think you're entirely missing my point. You want it and that's fine, but nobody needs a gun.
Even in Syria and Iraq, not everyone carries a gun.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There was a story in the local rag where somebody punched somebody, seems the guy did some sort of Martial Arts, killed him with one hit.
You've been watching too much Karate Kid again.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Even in Syria and Iraq, not everyone carries a gun.
I might have one if I lived there, though. Civil war and armed invasion is a little more of an imminent threat that a drug addict after your wallet in the parking lot at Walmart.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I might have one if I lived there, though. Civil war and armed invasion is a little more of an imminent threat that a drug addict after your wallet in the parking lot at Walmart.
Aren't they all imminent threats when they are in your face?

I understand the anti-arguments, I really do, because up until recently I was on that side firmly. I just have changed my mind, am a responsible gun owner, and am availing myself of my 2A rights.

Now don't get me started on the 2 people who have ashed me how I am allowed to carry a gun as a non-USC and wouldn't believe me when I said that I had the same rights as they did except to vote or serve as president.

There's no teaching some Southern folks!
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Me neither thankfully, but then you never are until you are. It's that insurance thing again. To me it's supposed to be a deterrent. If a bad guy walks in to a.n.other 7-11 and sees me carrying my glock, the likelihood is he's going to go find somewhere else to knock over that night rather than risk getting shot. Criminals have the same self-preservation instincts that we do.

The issue is this to me, carrying a gun should not make you feel safer, because bad things happen. It might stop things before they start, but drawing it is never doing to deescalate a situation. The only time I would draw my weapon is if my next intention is to pull the trigger. At that point the purpose has failed and self-preservation is kicking in.
Someone that interested in knocking off the shop and see's that you're armed will just shoot you in the head on the way in before you even know what's happening and then rob the place.

As for insurance, unless you're in NH, it's the law to have car insurance, even if people do go without it.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:23 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Bob
Someone that interested in knocking off the shop and see's that you're armed will just shoot you in the head on the way in before you even know what's happening and then rob the place.

As for insurance, unless you're in NH, it's the law to have car insurance, even if people do go without it.
But then it's given you, the unarmed person, time to get away or otherwise react.

I'm dead, that's my problem not yours.

Agreed about the car insurance, but not home or renters insurance.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:26 pm
I have a comma problem

Aren't they all imminent threats when they are in your face?

I understand the anti-arguments, I really do, because up until recently I was on that side firmly. I just have changed my mind, am a responsible gun owner, and am availing myself of my 2A rights.

Now don't get me started on the 2 people who have ashed me how I am allowed to carry a gun as a non-USC and wouldn't believe me when I said that I had the same rights as they did except to vote or serve as president.

There's no teaching some Southern folks!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing anti-gun, I don't care either way. Have all the guns in the world. I'm just not going to actively argue for them either. They are there and that's fine, but if they weren't, big deal.

I just don't believe that anyone has an objective need for one either and I'd personally rather spend my money on something else.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

But then it's given you, the unarmed person, time to get away or otherwise react.

I'm dead, that's my problem not yours.

Agreed about the car insurance, but not home or renters insurance.
The other person probably wouldn't have a issue. Hand over wallet and not worry about it.

Guns are great, loads of fun, nothing wrong with having one. For self protection though, that is a bit of a shit reason unless you really are in the wilderness.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

I think it's about a $50 here for not having insurance
Old Mar 9th 2017, 6:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I think it's about a $50 here for not having insurance
In MA, it's not that much of a fine on it's own, but it's how it is all compounded.

Driving without insurance voids your car registration, which is a bit of a fine and a few points on top of the points you get for not having insurance. This usually voids your license, so there's points and fee's for driving without a valid license. All in, if you got pulled for speeding in the first place, can rack up to around $10K.

Whilst up in NH, there's no requirement to have insurance in the first place.