Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

It really just happened to me

It really just happened to me

Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:49 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice
Default Re: It really just happened to me

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You've never been to Belfast, have you
Oh, but I have... And Londonderry, and Larne, and Dundalk and lived in a 15th., century farmhouse in Glanmire Co. Cork in the late 70's early 80's.

I don't talk like that myself, being the well spoken gent I am, but I was well used to the hard "a" for an "o" before I moved out here . . .

My sister once had fun ordering a Mountain Dew in a cafe out here on her first trip though. They probably wondered why she was asking for a Rabbi who liked high altitudes until I decided to step in and explain to her she has to say 'doo' instead
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by citizenmarie
At Starbucks I can't order a "tall" latte, or I'll get two.

So I ask for a "small" latte now, and they say, "tall?"

Then I get the right drink
That happens to me to!

Can you believe this - my hairdresser was talking about The Royal wedding - and I said was going to a friends house to watch and we were doing an English buffet with cucmber sandiwches and cakes. She actually asked me ' What's in a cucumber sandwich' I replied ' cucumber!' WTF
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katybluewater
That happens to me to!

Can you believe this - my hairdresser was talking about The Royal wedding - and I said was going to a friends house to watch and we were doing an English buffet with cucmber sandiwches and cakes. She actually asked me ' What's in a cucumber sandwich' I replied ' cucumber!' WTF
Maybe your hairdresser meant "What ELSE, in addition to cucumber, is in a cucumber sandwich?" To be fair, "cucumber sandwich" does not sound like much of a sandwich.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 4:10 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

We were driving back from New York to Halifax NS in July. Stopped at a McD's as I was really thirsty.

Walked up to counter
Me: 'Can I have a bottle of water please?'
Girl: Blank stare
Girl: Ketchup?
Me: 'Water'
Girl: Salt?
Me: 'water'!!!!!
This went on for a while
Second person comes along to help
Girl: Ketchup? reaches for sachet!
Me: WATERRRRRRR!!!!
This went on for a while
Guy comes along to help
Me: Can I have a bottle of water PLEASE?'
Guy: Water? yes sure here you go!!!!

GRRRRRRRR
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

is_Eng_really_that_bad is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing iam yet to understand is how americans struggle to put two n two together, in several bars etc i have said where are the bathrooms? they look at me confused. I then say toilet? again total mindf**k. my wife repeats restroom, finally the penny drops. I feel compelled to ask again where is the toilet? they say restroom... Come on people work that shit out!!

in a bar i had a waitress say she loves the brits all though they talk to us like were stupid, i said you talk to us like your stupid too... neither did several of our american friends only my wife who puts up with my sarcastic comments daily
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by is_Eng_really_that_bad
One thing iam yet to understand is how americans struggle to put two n two together, in several bars etc i have said where are the bathrooms? they look at me confused. I then say toilet? again total mindf**k. my wife repeats restroom, finally the penny drops. I feel compelled to ask again where is the toilet? they say restroom... Come on people work that shit out!!

in a bar i had a waitress say she loves the brits all though they talk to us like were stupid, i said you talk to us like your stupid too... neither did several of our american friends only my wife who puts up with my sarcastic comments daily
Restroom always amuses me. Quite often I'm not getting a lot of rest in there
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:47 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Restroom always amuses me. Quite often I'm not getting a lot of rest in there
Euphamism inflation is a funny thing isn't. Toilet seems to have been a euphamism at some point, and now its a word too embarassing to say. When will restroom come to be taboo?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:01 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Euphamism inflation is a funny thing isn't. Toilet seems to have been a euphamism at some point, and now its a word too embarassing to say. When will restroom come to be taboo?
When I can convince every American I know to adopt the term 'khazi' instead
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What I find weird is how people will persist with the "right" word even when it isn't getting them the desired result. Leads to that raising of the voice, like the listener is deaf instead of the realization that a different word might get the message accross.

It's like beating your head on the wall and wondering why it hurts.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:08 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

When I can convince every American I know to adopt the term 'khazi' instead
Khazi of Khalabar

Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
What I find weird is how people will persist with the "right" word even when it isn't getting them the desired result. Leads to that raising of the voice, like the listener is deaf instead of the realization that a different word might get the message accross.

It's like beating your head on the wall and wondering why it hurts.
Yeah I agree.. I sometimes anticipate problems with one or two syllable words and just come out with a longer question that allows the listener a couple of different clues. For instance, in the hardware store I'll ask "Where are the salt pellets, for the water softener?" That way if the person doesn't understand my pronunciation of salt, the "water softener" will give him the necessary clue...
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:21 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by kimilseung
And some of my American friends cannot understand why I stay a PROUD BRIT!
They also think I would vote for Trump/Palin along with them.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

is_Eng_really_that_bad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
And some of my American friends cannot understand why I stay a PROUD BRIT!
They also think I would vote for Trump/Palin along with them.
left England in july thinking it sucked less than 12 months later, i realize how wrong i was
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yeah I agree.. I sometimes anticipate problems with one or two syllable words and just come out with a longer question that allows the listener a couple of different clues. For instance, in the hardware store I'll ask "Where are the salt pellets, for the water softener?" That way if the person doesn't understand my pronunciation of salt, the "water softener" will give him the necessary clue...
+10. No, +100. Then again, probably why you aren't nearly as frustrated as some others. And you get what you're after.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by meauxna
+10. No, +100. Then again, probably why you aren't nearly as frustrated as some others. And you get what you're after.
Yeah I make sure I always do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.