Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

It really just happened to me

It really just happened to me

Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default It really just happened to me

Registering as a new patient at the doctor's office: on telling the med tech I was born in England, she asked me "Do they speak English there?"

Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:17 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It really just happened to me

You could reply "well, we take English classes in school" - it'd be true!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The correct answer is: "Of course, we speak the Queen's English unlike Americans."

Last edited by Rete; Apr 21st 2011 at 6:39 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The correct answer is: "Of course, we speak the Queen's English as unlike Americans."
The best answer I could come up with is "Do you speak English here?"
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:40 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rpjs
Registering as a new patient at the doctor's office: on telling the med tech I was born in England, she asked me "Do they speak English there?"

I had exactly that from an employee about 10 years ago. My response was to say:

Well in France they speak..... French
In Germany they speak.....German
In Italy they speak.....Italian
And in America they speak ......American

So what do you think they speak in England?

.....English

All the while allowing her to state the answers with the hope the penny would finally drop by the time we got to England!!

Of course it didn't. Think she is probably CEO of the company by now though.

Last edited by confusedenglishrose; Apr 21st 2011 at 6:47 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

I used to have a South Korean hairdresser who asked me how I had learnt to speak "American" so well. I had to explain that American's speak English etc. Neither was she aware that Britain was an island. However as I would be hard pushed to find South Korea on a map I forgave her. And if George W can talk about speaking Mexican, what hope is there?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, I think the lady would have been more at home with Spanish than English herself. I also had to spell "England" for her!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:58 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Once while working for a school district I had teacher ask me to say something in my native language,
My Reply
"something"
Her reply "anything"
and so on until other technician said English is his native language.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I would avoid embarrassing the American who has asked the naive question by carefully avoiding speaking English. Simply print out this vocabulary and carry it with you at all times, and translate whatever you wish to say to an American before delivering your statement.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I was living in Wales when I met my wife. Her younger brother asked if I spoke English.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:13 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

On the phone at work the other day I had a very rude spanish lady who was struggling to string a sentence together tell me 'you need to speak better english, I can't understand you'.

I bit my tongue. HARD.

Then today in Kroger the cashier asked if we were from England (my 'import' T shirt with the big ass union jack on it may have been a hint).... and my smarty pants 13 year old said 'Canada'..... her response..... 'really? is that near London?' , and yes, she was deadly serious.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

During my divorce I was injured in a motorcycle wreck. Ex's attorney wanted to nkow why I wasn't working 2 weeks after the crash with a leg & arm in in plaster.

He asked if I ever BBQ'd at home..

Yes...

So why can't you work at Macdonalds while you're unable to work as a mechanic..

Well apart from the fact I have 2 limbs in plaster casts....because the people at the drive thru can't understand MY accent when I order, so the other customers are also unlikely to understand my accent if I was working there...

Have you considered community college classes to learn English?

Where the hell do you think I come from?

....oh yeah, that comment bought everything to a halt for a minute while I explained just what frigging language we speak in England...
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:27 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clarissageo
On the phone at work the other day I had a very rude spanish lady who was struggling to string a sentence together tell me 'you need to speak better english, I can't understand you'.

I bit my tongue. HARD.

Then today in Kroger the cashier asked if we were from England (my 'import' T shirt with the big ass union jack on it may have been a hint).... and my smarty pants 13 year old said 'Canada'..... her response..... 'really? is that near London?' , and yes, she was deadly serious.
Thats great London, Ontario though?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll also find that they cannot decide when we spell a word whether it's an "a" we're spelling or an "e" to the point that when I now spell my name, I ask them for a piece of paper because I just get frustrated. I also just noticed you're in Tarrytown - love the place!!!! We were going to move there when we emigrated, but then decided on Connecticut, but we still come through and visit Leftkas Gyro in the Main Street - love their gyro's, especially sitting outside in the summer watching the world go by. Just thought I'd pop that bit in
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

RickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really niceRickWG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brat1
You'll also find that they cannot decide when we spell a word whether it's an "a" we're spelling or an "e" to the point that when I now spell my name,

I've had those conversations on the phone..

"A"

Did you say "I"?

No, "A"

E?

"A" you cloth eared idiot!

"I" for indian?

NO! FFS! A for A$$HOLE! Go look in the frigging mirror for an explanation!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.