Pet Peeves?

Old Jan 26th 2016, 12:25 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Wintersong
4 gallons of milk? That's a lot of custard. Some might even call it a shitload.
How would you even carry it?
Old Jan 26th 2016, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
4 gallons of milk? That's a lot of custard. Some might even call it a shitload.
Maybe a shitful
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
What's your point about 'Alien'? I don't see any abuse or ambiguity related to its usage.

Regarding Programme/Program; surely, it's a matter of UK vs US spelling, plain and simple. Here in the US, 'program' is used exclusively, and in UK, 'programme' is used exclusively, at least in my experience.
Alien: Its the dumbing-down aspect. Used to be used on signage in all Japanese airports, until shortly after the Alien film came out, then, AFAIU, Americans made complaints that they were being compared to huge, ugly, frightening monsters, and the authorities were forced to change all the signs.

In the UK, AFAIK, the distinction remains between program and programme, but is gradually being eroded (I don't think I've ever seen a computer program spelt as programme). In most cases its evident from context which meaning is intended, but not always, and therefore it makes perfect sense to retain the distinction.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And that would be dreadful.
Don't you mean 'dreadly'?
Old Jan 26th 2016, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Alien: Its the dumbing-down aspect. Used to be used on signage in all Japanese airports, until shortly after the Alien film came out, then, AFAIU, Americans made complaints that they were being compared to huge, ugly, frightening monsters, and the authorities were forced to change all the signs.
That seems a little far-fetched. When I was growing up, 'Alien' meant something from outer space, but then I came to the US in the 80s and learned for the first time about being a 'resident alien'. Strange that the US would force another country to stop using a term commonly in use in the US ...

Which usage of Alien are you complaining about; would you rather see 'persons from overseas' instead of Alien, or 'beings from outer space' instead of Alien?

In the UK, AFAIK, the distinction remains between program and programme, but is gradually being eroded (I don't think I've ever seen a computer program spelt as programme). In most cases its evident from context which meaning is intended, but not always, and therefore it makes perfect sense to retain the distinction.
According to this, Program vs. programme - Grammarist , Brits use 'program' only for "computer program", so you are right. I'm sure one could construct a convoluted sentence or paragraph that could confuse the two, but I don't think there's much danger of that in normal life, and for that VERY rare occasion, one does have the option of adding the word 'computer' . Which do you prefer:
1) "I just watched a program on TV about computer programs" or
2) "I just watched a programme about programs"
The latter doesn't really look too good to me.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 8:42 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

That seems a little far-fetched. When I was growing up, 'Alien' meant something from outer space, but then I came to the US in the 80s and learned for the first time about being a 'resident alien'. Strange that the US would force another country to stop using a term commonly in use in the US ...

Which usage of Alien are you complaining about; would you rather see 'persons from overseas' instead of Alien, or 'beings from outer space' instead of Alien?

According to this, Program vs. programme - Grammarist , Brits use 'program' only for "computer program", so you are right. I'm sure one could construct a convoluted sentence or paragraph that could confuse the two, but I don't think there's much danger of that in normal life, and for that VERY rare occasion, one does have the option of adding the word 'computer' . Which do you prefer:
1) "I just watched a program on TV about computer programs" or
2) "I just watched a programme about programs"
The latter doesn't really look too good to me.
Alien: Possibly the word Alien alone, without the resident, threw the Yanks; the change definitely happened shortly after the first Alien film came out, and I was told it was the result of many complaints. Who knows.

"I just watched a programme about programs" both looks good and is logical to me. "I just watched a program about programs" is both ugly and ambiguous (yes, I dropped the "on TV", but most people wouldn't write or say "on TV"). I just don't like changing things for no good reason when the result is a lack of precision, concision or clarity. But I know I'm in a minority...
Old Jan 26th 2016, 2:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

"I just watched a programme about programs" both looks good and is logical to me. "I just watched a program about programs" is both ugly and ambiguous (yes, I dropped the "on TV", but most people wouldn't write or say "on TV"). I just don't like changing things for no good reason when the result is a lack of precision, concision or clarity. But I know I'm in a minority...
Your example is irrelevant, as in the US, where program is used in both contexts, people would actually say, "I just watched a show about programs." However, both versions are kind of moot, as the sentence doesn't make a lot of sense without a qualifier for programs.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 2:26 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Your example is irrelevant, as in the US, where program is used in both contexts, people would actually say, "I just watched a show about programs." However, both versions are kind of moot, as the sentence doesn't make a lot of sense without a qualifier for programs.
Maybe you can get them at the shoppes.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe we can bring up Analogue?

Is there any logical reason to append the 'ue'?

Saying (or writing, to be precise) "Analogue and Digital" always seems odd to me; Analog is a much nicer word.

I'm also for the non-French influenced Center vs Centre, and other similar words.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Saying (or writing, to be precise) "Analogue and Digital" always seems odd to me; Analog is a much nicer word.

I'm also for the non-French influenced Center vs Centre, and other similar words.
I think you have now stepped over the line from "the English language evolving" into the concerted effort that was made to modernize/simplify English, which naturally only really created more inconsistencies.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 26th 2016 at 7:46 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 7:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Those are all acceptable though, the word doesn't change, only the spelling. Obviously when you say it, it makes no difference. Writing tends to be just what you're used to. I don't even really keep track of whether I do the UK or US version anymore, to be honest.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OK, you've lost me, again.
4 pints would last a week, 2 litres never quite made it. Similar to the grocery shrink ray
Old Jan 26th 2016, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Which is correct learned or learnt , my learned friends?
Old Jan 26th 2016, 7:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Which is correct learned or learnt , my learned friends?
That's a British vs American usage again. Both are correct. It's like spelled/spelt or burned/burnt.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 7:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That's a British vs American usage again. Both are correct. It's like spelled/spelt or burned/burnt.
Or smelled/smelt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.