Pet Peeves?

Old Nov 14th 2014, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
Can you really believe that legislation ensuring "Net Neutrality" will actually happen without provision for the creation of a huge new bureaucracy and massive government intervention and control?
Is that a good reason to not have the bandwidth that you already pay for?

I am no Dem fan but the Republicans are really obfuscating what the issue is really about. It's so dishonest.

Person A pays a provider for a certain quality of service. He uses Netflix a lot.

Person B pays a provider for a certain quality of service. He uses the Cloud a lot.

The quality of service marketed and offered by the providers is claimed, by the provider, to be more than adequate to suit the requirements of both of these customers. The provider agreed to take their money on that basis.

But now the provider wants more money, from someone, to cater to the Netflix user.
Even though, according to their own marketing, they both have connections that suit both their requirements.

If there are technical limitation with their service they should price their service accordingly and improve their infrastructure.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Is that a good reason to not have the bandwidth that you already pay for?

I am no Dem fan but the Republicans are really obfuscating what the issue is really about. It's so dishonest.

Person A pays a provider for a certain quality of service. He uses Netflix a lot.

Person B pays a provider for a certain quality of service. He uses the Cloud a lot.

The quality of service marketed and offered by the providers is claimed, by the provider, to be more than adequate to suit the requirements of both of these customers. The provider agreed to take their money on that basis.

But now the provider wants more money, from someone, to cater to the Netflix user.
Even though, according to their own marketing, they both have connections that suit both their requirements.

If there are technical limitation with their service they should price their service accordingly and improve their infrastructure.

You make some good points. Perhaps it's just the political climate here that makes everything that should be relatively easy, difficult. An example, when Obama goes ahead with his executive orders on immigration next week the well will be poisoned and NOTHING, including net neutrality, will get done until he's finally out of our lives...except for the bare minimum needed to keep the country going. Blame goes both ways.

An interesting article that lauds the French system over the American here:

What France has taught me: Americans are suckers who have themselves to blame for crappy broadband | VentureBeat | Business | by Chris O'Brien

But not everything is better in Europe. My sister lives across the river from Düsseldorf, and their internet access is both slower and more expensive than the crappy Verizon DSL service we have in this development.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Nov 14th 2014 at 6:15 am.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Hot air heating. I feel like I was mummified 3000 years ago and we've only had the heating on for 2 days
Old Nov 14th 2014, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

After the summer I'm enjoying our, (thermally), frigid bedroom at night
For heat, a log fire...which is nice.

Hold on....I know that's not a peeve...sorry...
Old Dec 1st 2014, 5:59 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Two possible outcomes are not the same as a 50:50 chance; it can be in the case of a coin flip, but doesn't have to be. Stop conflating probability with possible outcomes.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Salvation Army bellringers. They are going to be parked outside every damn grocery store in town until bloody Christmas. I went and got the bulk of grocery shopping Saturday and gave to the bellringers. Went to the one today that stocks orangina, PG tips pyramid bags and chocolate oranges. Large bell ringing woman loomed in front yelling Merry Christmas at me and assaulted my eardrums with her poxy bell. Bah.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Law of Averages...

Can anyone state that Law?
Old Dec 1st 2014, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The Law of Averages...

Can anyone state that Law?
it's like the 'lowest common denominator' (I had a friend who always got peeved with that because it should be 'highest common factor', apparently.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 7:25 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
it's like the 'lowest common denominator' (I had a friend who always got peeved with that because it should be 'highest common factor', apparently.
Maths pedants are a right bunch of arctangents.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 9:31 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing my mother-in-law chop cabbage in a non-stick pan with a metal knife. Had to walk out of the room before I said anything......
Old Dec 1st 2014, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Seeing my mother-in-law chop cabbage in a non-stick pan with a metal knife. Had to walk out of the room before I said anything......
Was it her pan or yours???
Old Dec 1st 2014, 10:41 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzyb
Was it her pan or yours???
Hers, in her kitchen. If it had been mine I would have spoken my mind, though the chances of finding boiled cabbage in my kitchen are pretty low.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hers, in her kitchen. If it had been mine I would have spoken my mind, though the chances of finding boiled cabbage in my kitchen are pretty low.
Why's that? You don't have food?
Old Dec 1st 2014, 11:08 am
Turning into a PA gal!

Why's that? You don't have food?
a) cabbage gets steamed not boiled
b) currently I don't have a kitchen, steveq has my kitchen.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

a) cabbage gets steamed not boiled
b) currently I don't have a kitchen, steveq has my kitchen.
I shred mine and do it in the wok.
Also, Bubble and Squeak..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.