Wikiposts

Pet Peeves?

Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Without wishing to slide into The Four Yorkshiremen with tales of growing up with ice inside the bedroom in the winter, .....
Up until I was around five or six, I remember waking up on cold winter mornings to find ice on the inside of the single glazed window under which my bed was located. I have often said that if that happened today it would be considered child cruelty. ...... Oh, and that really was in Sheffield, so though I'm a Yorkshireman, I'm not one of "the Four Yorkshiremen".

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 26th 2013 at 11:52 am.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Yeah, I bet you save the kids in Africa too.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Up until I was around five or six, I remember waking up on cold winter mornings to find ice on the inside of the single glazed window under which my bed was located. I have often said that if that happened today it would be considered child cruelty. ...... Oh, and that really was in Sheffield, so though I'm a Yorkshireman, I'm not one of "the Four Yorkshiremen".
I remember those days in Sheffield. No central heating, ice on the inside of the windows, small paraffin heater in the toilet to prevent the pipes from freezing....brrrrr.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:05 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I bet you save the kids in Africa too.
Peru.

Regards, TWat.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I bet some of you smell just loverly in the summer.
That's what spray on showers are for
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
65°f for me all year round in the bedroom. I hate the chill of AC unless it is really humid...set to 80°f in the rest of the house in summer. In winter 70°f during the day...74°f during the evenings.
62F in winter and 80F in the summer. To expensive other wise and pretty tolerable, making sure there's no drafts in winter and some fans to move the air around in the summer.

When we had oil heat, or when our littlest one came home from the NICU and we had to have the place at 75F, it almost broke us in heating costs and that place was electric.

Current place is gas and in comparison, costs next to nothing.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's what spray on showers are for
Febreeze
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

I remember those days in Sheffield. No central heating, ice on the inside of the windows, small paraffin heater in the toilet to prevent the pipes from freezing....brrrrr.
Our toilet was outside when I was really small. I remember having to break the ice in the toilet bowl a couple of times....I do fondly remember bathing in a tin bath in front of a nice coal fire though, kind of an offsetting memory.
We had to go fetch the tub from the coal shed... ... my kids don't believe me.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:24 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshgator
Our toilet was outside when I was really small. I remember having to break the ice in the toilet bowl a couple of times....I do fondly remember bathing in a tin bath in front of a nice coal fire though, kind of an offsetting memory.
When I was small we had an outside toilet, but not a WC, so they had to come with the 'dilly cart' and empty it, the only heating in the house was the fireplace in the living room, so ice on the inside of the windows ib the bedrooms was normal in winter, and yes, the tin bath in front of the fire..
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We must have been posh because we had a bathroom with bath and washbasin upstairs. The toilet was downstairs in the back porch...opposite the coal house.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We must have been posh because we had a bathroom with bath and washbasin upstairs. The toilet was downstairs in the back porch...opposite the coal house.
You're making me feel like we were utter nobs - our toilet was upstairs in the bathroom.

We did have a "coal hole" though, under the stairs, but accessible from the outside (only).
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:59 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

so it wasn't America, the land of milk and honey, but America the land of central heating and indoor plumbing.............
Old Feb 27th 2013, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Eeee, luxury, lass...
We must have been poor as I also remember using the 'Llanelli Star" torn into strips to use as toilet paper. I don't think it was a reflection of my Dad's view of the newspaper. We never really felt poor since we were all in the same boat on our street, plus we were plenty happy just to go out in the back lane and kick a ball around. Funny what memories come flooding to mind...I hope it's not my life flashing before my eyes...if I don't post something tomorrow maybe I've kicked the bucket in my sleep tonight...
Old Feb 27th 2013, 8:23 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

maybe I've kicked the bucket
You have a bucket as well? Luxury!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:53 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Peru.

Regards, TWat.
A notable cause, your Saintliness. What do you do for an encore, make a couple of loaves and a few fish feed a crowd bigger than Wembley Stadium?
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:04 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

A notable cause, your Saintliness. What do you do for an encore, make a couple of loaves and a few fish feed a crowd bigger than Wembley Stadium?
Just the orphans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.