Netflix

Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:56 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix

Like others we have the 2 DVD package but love the fact that we can watch the free online stuff which we plug into the tv. Between Netflix, Hulu and Satellite I never need to move from the sofa

I am currently catching up with the first couple of series of Damages on my mother-in-laws recommendation before the new series this summer and The Vampire Diaries on the recommendation of my sister-in-law (but it's a bit blah so far).

Other shows I watch/have watched/am going to watch (what can I say I love my tv)

Lost, 24, Deadwood, ER, Ghost Whisperer, Medium, Life on Mars, Battlestar Gallactica, Glee, Carnivale, Lie to Me, Nurse Jackie, The Big C, United States of Tara, Weeds, Californication, The Event, Army Wives, Being Erica, Brothers & Sisters, Desperate Housewives, True Blood, Drop Dead Diva, Entourage, Big Love, Dexter, Supernatural, Eureka, Caprica, The Sopranos, No Ordinary Family, Sons of Anarchy, Rescue Me, Parenthood, V, Top Chef, Modern Family, The Middle, Las Vegas, The West Wing, Nip/Tuck, Bones, The Walking Dead, Fringe, Greys Anatomy, Private Practice, Family Guy, Pillars of the Earth, Spartacus, Rome

The Borgias - coming soon
Game of Thrones - coming soon
Mr Sunshine - coming soon
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We have a long running threads for US TV progams and UK TV programs...here's one for Netfliks recommendations.

For less than $10 per month you can sign up. So far I've caught up with Spartacus...watched the first 2 series of Dexter...but tonight when I settled down to watch the 3rd series I found out I can't stream it and have to order the DVD. Therefore I thought I'd start watching another series I haven't seen...Weeds...so far so good.

Any recommendations of programs/films to view would be gratefully received.
I used NetFlix in the States and loved it, now use LoveFilm in the UK, same principle (and dressed up the same, so I wonder if it's linked with Netflix somehow), but much crappier service, VERY slowq Web site, doesn't allow yu to rank order your choices (only High, Medium, Low priority).

Last week I watched "The Secret in Their Eyes" (won Oscar for best international film last year, loved it). It is subtitled which I know some people can't stand.

Also really enjoyed the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and can't wait for LoveFilm to send me teh sequels, bloody useless lot keep sending me stuff from the BOTTOM of my list ). I watched it with the English dubbed, which I thought would be awful but I hardly noticed that the actors weren't really speaking the English dialog.

Other movies I have rated highly in my LoveFilm library:

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The
The Waiting Room
Seven Pounds
I've Loved You So Long
Burn After Reading
Lars and the Real Girl
Dear Frankie
The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada
There Will Be Blood
The Player
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Bourne Identity
Monsoon Wedding
Open Range
Fargo
The State Within
Sling Blade
The Bourne Supremacy
Cold Mountain
The Secret in Their Eyes
Our Friends In The North
In the Loop
Doubt
Valkyrie
American Teen
Changeling
A Raisin In The Sun
Brick Lane
The Beautiful Country
The Kite Runner
Dirty Pretty Things
The Bourne Identity
North And South
An Unfinished Life
The Bourne Ultimatum
Unforgiven
Up in the Air
This Is England '86
Small Island
Up In The Air
Brothers
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Rome
Ahhh ROME!! Both hubby and I really enjoyed this series! Bought the DVD sets and have watched the whole thing straight through a couple of times!

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of great suggestions...thanks everyone.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netfliks

Originally Posted by Rete
I can't do streaming. I require closed caption to watch television and can't do that on the computer. I use FIOS On-Demand quite often and am very happy with it. I am enjoying the new Harry's Law series on NBC which is Monday nights at 10 but I also like Castle which is on at the same time on ABC. So I watch one that evening and then on the weekend watch the other via On Demand.
Same with me but only when i am watching movies. When I am watching normal television programming, I use a pair of Sennheiser HDR-140 wireless headphones and that brings the clarity near to 100% for the great majority of television shows.

However, I don't know what they do with the audio for movies because even with the headphones, I'll miss at least 20% of the words on clearer movies and can barely make out any of the words for most movies. So the only time I turn on closed captioned is when I'm watching movies.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

I get DVDs at the moment, but watch more online. When I'm working, I'll probably downgrade down to online only as I'll have less time on my hands

So, on my list (some I've watched, some are still to watch)

TV Series:
Dollhouse
Dr. Who
Torchwood
Bones
Nip/Tuck
Heroes
Skins
Wire in the blood
Farscape (loved this when it was first on!)
Firefly
Red Riding Trilogy (a 3 parter)
Gavin & Stacey
Fawlty Towers

Films (just a small selection):
Defiance
Archangel
Shutter Island
Blithe Spirit
The Kite Runner
Rabbit Proof Fence
Grumpy Old Men
Amelie
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Yes, a remake.

The first series wasn't bad - a good updating of the original. The second series lost its way entirely and hence it was canned with no third series.
It's supposed to be a different series, but based on the same book.

I rather liked it, the new direction in the second series was good.

If you've not seen it though, I wouldn't bother, bugger of a cliff hanger and you know they aren't doing a third series to take on that new direction.

Downton Abby, Lark Rise...and not a period piece, but a great little series that'll have you balling your eyes out - Single, Married, Other
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I love Netflix! I also used to have the 2 at a time DVD account, as my old computer wouldn't stream any videos. Now that I have a wonderful new big-screen fast computer, I downgraded to 1 DVD and streaming. I don't really care to watch DVD's much anymore either, but since so much of their stuff is still only available on DVD, I kept it.

I've been looking for a really good romance / love story to watch and can't seem to find something really good. Not a romantic comedy type...a good drama, tear-jerker love story is what I want.

I don't know what you like, JG? I know I had fun watching the first 2 seasons of the old series Fame that was on TV in the 80's.

Rene
If you want a very different romance tear-jerker watch The Secret in Their Eyes. You'll spend half the movie wondering why I said it is a romance but stick it through to the end and you'll gradually catch on. It's about enduring love. [Set in the context of a brutal murder] Definitely not rom-com, though it does also have its lighter moments. And a mystery mind-teaser too, that keeps you guessing. Great film.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:40 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Like others we have the 2 DVD package but love the fact that we can watch the free online stuff which we plug into the tv. Between Netflix, Hulu and Satellite I never need to move from the sofa

I am currently catching up with the first couple of series of Damages on my mother-in-laws recommendation before the new series this summer and The Vampire Diaries on the recommendation of my sister-in-law (but it's a bit blah so far).

Other shows I watch/have watched/am going to watch (what can I say I love my tv)

Lost, 24, Deadwood, ER, Ghost Whisperer, Medium, Life on Mars, Battlestar Gallactica, Glee, Carnivale, Lie to Me, Nurse Jackie, The Big C, United States of Tara, Weeds, Californication, The Event, Army Wives, Being Erica, Brothers & Sisters, Desperate Housewives, True Blood, Drop Dead Diva, Entourage, Big Love, Dexter, Supernatural, Eureka, Caprica, The Sopranos, No Ordinary Family, Sons of Anarchy, Rescue Me, Parenthood, V, Top Chef, Modern Family, The Middle, Las Vegas, The West Wing, Nip/Tuck, Bones, The Walking Dead, Fringe, Greys Anatomy, Private Practice, Family Guy, Pillars of the Earth, Spartacus, Rome

The Borgias - coming soon
Game of Thrones - coming soon
Mr Sunshine - coming soon
'kin ell lass!! No wonder you don't have time to make it to the Houston Meetup
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

What I do to make them send me what I want is keep a list off line and just add the one or two movies that I want to see next to their list.
So they don't have a choice, they have to send me something and it's my choice not theirs.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
What I do to make them send me what I want is keep a list off line and just add the one or two movies that I want to see next to their list.
So they don't have a choice, they have to send me something and it's my choice not theirs.
What??
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:00 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What??
LoveFilm I guess
Old Feb 5th 2011, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by N1cky
LoveFilm I guess
Yes, yes. Sorry about that. LoveFilm.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:12 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by aviva
I had thought about doing that but I remember with NetFlix getting a warning when my list got too short (they were essentially saying if you only have a handful on your list, you could be waiting a long time if they are not available).

Maybe I'll try it and see what hapens. This week I got three titles that were all on my Medium Priority ranking (I have about 20 that are ranked High). I don't recall ever getting sent a DVD that was outside my Top 10 by Netflix.

[Just deleted all my Medium priority ones and made a list so I can add them later if I want. I now just have about 12 High Priority titles. Let's see what happens]

Last edited by dunroving; Feb 5th 2011 at 10:22 am.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:30 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We have a long running threads for US TV progams and UK TV programs...here's one for Netfliks recommendations.

For less than $10 per month you can sign up. So far I've caught up with Spartacus...watched the first 2 series of Dexter...but tonight when I settled down to watch the 3rd series I found out I can't stream it and have to order the DVD. Therefore I thought I'd start watching another series I haven't seen...Weeds...so far so good.

Any recommendations of programs/films to view would be gratefully received.
I had never watched Dexter until a few months ago and streamed the first two seasons. I never expected to like the show considering the premise of it. It was so good I had to keep going with the DVDs. I was just in the US last week and switched the netflix shipping address from the place that forwards my mail outside the US to the hotel I was staying at. It was nice to get that quick delivery.

It takes me a while to send/receive. When I'm done watching them, I give them to people I know who fly over to the US and drop them back in the mail for me. If I can go through that much trouble to watch Dexter, surely you can wait 2 days for another disc, no?

I stream American Pickers, Family Guy, The Office, some National Geographic stuff, and a few other things and beam them wirelessly to a PS3 so I can watch them on the TV. I save King of Queens, NCIS, NCIS LA, Modern Marvels, Big Bang, and How I met your mother on the DVR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.