Netflix

Old Jul 13th 2011, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Netflix

Originally Posted by Sue
Currently watching "Cemetery Junction" DVD that arrived today. Cute little film, set in the 70's.
Now why does Noddy wear a hat, again........................?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I just cancelled. I was wondering why I was subscribing anyway since I have comcast, subscribe to Starz, and have a Blockbuster vending machine across the street. Recently Starz increased their HD on demand queue to over 200 HD movies and along with the free HD movies from comcast, I should have enough movies to stream. When I want to watch one of the latest releases, I can get those from Blockbuster.

Also Starz currently has six 3D movies available on demand for no extra charge.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 12:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm keeping both the DVD service and the streaming.. yes, it is a big increase in price but still very good value (for me.. I don't pay for any other TV service.)

Someone mentioned Redbox, obviously a good service for what it is. But I value Netflix for the "long tail" phenomenon.. the fact that they have tens of thousands of titles. Many of the things I want to see are only available as DVD, but many others are only available in streaming. For instance, a lot of British films from the 40s and 50s suddenly became available streaming, are not available on DVD.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm keeping both the DVD service and the streaming.. yes, it is a big increase in price but still very good value (for me.. I don't pay for any other TV service.)

Someone mentioned Redbox, obviously a good service for what it is. But I value Netflix for the "long tail" phenomenon.. the fact that they have tens of thousands of titles. Many of the things I want to see are only available as DVD, but many others are only available in streaming. For instance, a lot of British films from the 40s and 50s suddenly became available streaming, are not available on DVD.

I agree, although we have only been streaming anyway since Christmas. I found I always kept the DVD's for too long to make it worth it.

They certainly are streaming a lot more movies, and as you say a lot are ones not available anywhere else.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

dnolan1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which is nice, dont get me wrong. But the whole reason for having an account like this is so that you can also see the new releases, and recent movies you missed at the movies.

Netflix no longer covers that in streaming, and with DVDs, I rarely see a new release, mainly because other family members add one dvd or so a week of some PoS film that they can see on cable, and that is always the movie NetFlix sends.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I agree, although we have only been streaming anyway since Christmas. I found I always kept the DVD's for too long to make it worth it.

They certainly are streaming a lot more movies, and as you say a lot are ones not available anywhere else.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:47 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
They can shove it up their arse.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:54 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

My OH wants to close our account, but I really want to switch to streaming-only. Problem is, we're watching Breaking Bad at the moment and it's DVD-only... so my argument that there's plenty of good stuff on streaming is a bit null and void.

In fact... nearly all the recent stuff we've loved has only been on DVD.

Oh sh.t.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:13 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I also like a lot of the DVD only stuff.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:15 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Decided last night that we are going to cancel netflix.

Curious how many customers they are going to lose.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I joined Netflix in the first place was because they have so many foreign movies, esp in languages like Farsi, Turkish, and Arabic. I really don't know where else I could get that variety. Some are DVD only, some are streaming.

Rene
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:42 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Some recent movies that I've wanted to watch and found they weren't available to stream:

Any James Bond.
The Wild Bunch.
Death at a Funeral (UK version)
Hot Fuzz and the other Zombie one

These are just a few recent ones that I can remember offhand. If the online selection was better, I'd drop DVD in a second. It usually takes me forever to find a movie I want to watch, I can look at 100 titles and they just all look like crap and a waste of time. So when I do finally think of something I want to see, it's frustrating to search for it and find that it's DVD only.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Some recent movies that I've wanted to watch and found they weren't available to stream:

Any James Bond.
They had 14 (I think) Bond movies available for streaming for a whole 8 weeks. They disappeared sometime in June.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:09 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
These are just a few recent ones that I can remember offhand. If the online selection was better, I'd drop DVD in a second. It usually takes me forever to find a movie I want to watch, I can look at 100 titles and they just all look like crap and a waste of time. So when I do finally think of something I want to see, it's frustrating to search for it and find that it's DVD only.
EXACTLY!!
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, first world problems!

Basically, I see the situation like this. The content providers/cable companies are seeing a huge exodus of people from cable TV. To protect their revenue steam they are putting pressure on Netflix to pay more in licensing rights. Netflix is over a barrel.

Still pretty good value in my opinion. We dropped cable TV a while back and haven't looked back, we'll probably keep both.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gingerert
My OH wants to close our account, but I really want to switch to streaming-only. Problem is, we're watching Breaking Bad at the moment and it's DVD-only... so my argument that there's plenty of good stuff on streaming is a bit null and void.

In fact... nearly all the recent stuff we've loved has only been on DVD.

Oh sh.t.
You can opt in and out per month...I did this when I wanted to get 4 DVDs at a time. I was hooked on Dexter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.