Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

This is my last day on BE.

This is my last day on BE.

Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is my last day on BE.

Originally Posted by Boiler
I must admit and I assume I am not alone that the leaflets you get in US bought products telling you NOT to return it the retailer was one of those welcome to America moments.

You buy something, whatever, they get money, you get goods, what is wrong in expecting you get what you pay for and if not they sort it?

To be fair a lot of US companies do.
That is what is called completion. If a company provides a better service than it's competitors at the same price, that company will likely get the business but if the company charges 20% more for their products because they provide a service that most customers won't use, the company will likely lose the business. Therefore companies try to be competitive but don't usually go overboard unless their business is aimed at a niche cliental that is willing to pay for exceptional service. Laws regulating what services must be provided for free are usually ineffective and hurt the smallest of businesses the most.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I purchased a wireless internet router about 6 years ago. It came with a mail in rebate, 30 days. I had to cut out the bar code and send it in to claim the rebate which i did as soon as i got the router up and running, the bar code included the MAC address of the the router.

The router failed within 30 days but because I had submitted the MAC address with my rebate it could not be returned as it could not be resold. Also in the mix was the fact that best buy stores were a separate business than best buy on line, not my problem is it? but that's how best buy saw it.

Yeah it was 6 or so years ago but nobody screws me over. Ever.
That is a problem with rebates since I don't know of any retailer that that will accept a product back without the original carton with the bar code since many manufacturers won't accept store returns unless in the original package with the bar code. What would have been a double whammy would have been if the company said they didn't receive the bar code and wouldn't send a rebate check which happens often since they often outsource that service.

However most manufacturers will accept returnss directly from the customer without the original packaging (only a purchase receipt) and will replace the product with a new one.

I bought a router from Fry's that I discovered wouldn't route to some web sites (probably a packet formation issue in the firmware that certain internet routers wouldn't pass through) and I threw away the original packaging before I discovered the problem. Fry's wouldn't take it back since I didn't have the original packaging. I also had a problem returning it to the manufacturer since all they would do would be to send me another one that also didn't work since they couldn't duplicate the problem when they tried with the same router (probably routed a different way across the internet).

Last edited by Michael; Jul 30th 2014 at 5:24 am.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 1:30 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I bet you have been sending back software to the store after several years of use because it has a bug.
Software comes with no warranty.

And of course, your cars are fixed free for 6 years.
Sure, why not? Many cars sold in Europe now comes with 100k mileage warranties.

And when a contractor works on your house, you can keep on calling him back because you aren't 100% happy with his work even though he quoted you 50% less than anyone else.
That analogy doesn't work. Just because you paid more for a product than a competitor, doesn't mean you should expect it to be faulty.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jul 30th 2014 at 1:40 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 1:32 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of laws that are written that aren't enforced. I doubt that all you have to do is write a nice pleasant letter to the Sale of Goods Act police and they will spend hundreds of pounds taking care of your £300 issue.
The Sales of Goods Act is fully enforced in the UK, I assure you.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 1:35 pm
Banned

I bought a router from Fry's that I discovered wouldn't route to some web sites (probably a packet formation issue in the firmware that certain internet routers wouldn't pass through) and I threw away the original packaging before I discovered the problem. Fry's wouldn't take it back since I didn't have the original packaging. I also had a problem returning it to the manufacturer since all they would do would be to send me another one that also didn't work since they couldn't duplicate the problem when they tried with the same router (probably routed a different way across the internet).
Just FYI - you don't need the packaging to return an item in the UK. If it is faulty, the retailer must refund you. End of.

Have a read: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...funds-exchange
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:32 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

That is a problem with rebates
I completely ignore mail in rebates when making a purchase decision. If I use it, it is an after sales bonus. But I compare products on what I have to hand over. The rebate is only money in your hand, when it is in your hand. One bad experience is enough for me to more or less ignore it as a marketing strategy.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Software comes with no warranty.
So each product is different and the person enforcing the Sales of Goods Act has to know all the laws pertaining to different products. I thought the warranty in the UK didn't matter and the retailer was responsible to make sure the product they sold was of high quality and not defective.
Sure, why not? Many cars sold in Europe now comes with 100k mileage warranties.
Bumper to bumper warranty for 100,000 miles no matter how badly the person maintains the car.
Originally Posted by hungryhorace
The Sales of Goods Act is fully enforced in the UK, I assure you.
How many employees does the Sales of Good Act agency have to determine the law for each claim, answer phone calls, investigate claims, arbitrate claims, and to make a decision that the retailer was at fault and levy fines to make sure the retailer doesn't do it again?

Not all claims by consumers are legitimate. A consumer could knock over his TV and claim it was defective from the factory and the retailer gets blamed for not replacing that defective TV.

It appears the Sale of Goods Act is this very effective law that makes sure that all retailers understands every detail about every product and will honor all returns just because the customer claims the product is defective.

Must be nice living in paradise.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 30th 2014 at 5:55 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:52 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

How many employees does the Sales of Good Act agency .
One good point concerning some of this has been years and years of information, the public is generally well informed about some of their rights. Consumer rights TV programming has over the years helped out. Just saying "Sales of Good Act" to a manager can get things moving a lot faster.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
One bad experience is enough for me to more or less ignore it as a marketing strategy.
I agree America seems to have plenty of marketing strategies that are best avoided. My favorite is layaway, its for idiots.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
This one seems reasonably priced for the budget conscious

Amazon.com: Samsung UN110S9V Frameless 110-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz LED TV: Electronics

2 used for $1,000 though.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no Sales of Goods Act agency, so the answer is 0.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

I completely ignore mail in rebates when making a purchase decision. If I use it, it is an after sales bonus. But I compare products on what I have to hand over. The rebate is only money in your hand, when it is in your hand. One bad experience is enough for me to more or less ignore it as a marketing strategy.
Me too.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One good point concerning some of this has been years and years of information, the public is generally well informed about some of their rights. Consumer rights TV programming has over the years helped out. Just saying "Sales of Good Act" to a manager can get things moving a lot faster.
When the "do not call" act was passed in the US, the bill imposed a fine of $10,000 for each unsolicited call and that scared the hell of telemarketing companies and they quit calling. Slowly they tested the waters again and discovered that the government doesn't have the staff to enforce the law so now the telemarketing companies aren't concerned about being fined. That's just human nature to ignore the law if it benefits the business or the consumer.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
There is no Sales of Goods Act agency, so the answer is 0.
If there is no enforcement, why is the Sales of Good Act so important in the minds of the British? Is there a perception that that since there is a law, it makes consumers feel more comfortable?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

Who said it was not enforced?

It works, I remember before and after. There are very few laws that I would suggest the US adopt, but that one and the Unfair Contract Terms Act would be two that come to mind.

I can think of loads that do not work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.