Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

This is my last day on BE.

This is my last day on BE.

Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:21 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is my last day on BE.

Originally Posted by Michael
If there is no enforcement,
Trading Standards at the local town hall deal with breaches of the Sale of Goods Act, if things haven't changed since I left the UK.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:25 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

So each product is different and the person enforcing the Sales of Goods Act has to know all the laws pertaining to different products.
It is? Who said that?

I thought the warranty in the UK didn't matter and the retailer was responsible to make sure the product they sold was of high quality and not defective.
Sometimes it's easier to invoke the warranty, for example my Miele washing machine would have been replaced by John Lewis if needed to be. However, it was easier for Miele to simply come round and replace the part.

Bumper to bumper warranty for 100,000 miles no matter how badly the person maintains the car.
What relevance is that? If you keep within the manufacturers guidelines for servicing, then your warranty remains valid. What's so hard to understand?

How many employees does the Sales of Good Act agency have to determine the law for each claim, answer phone calls, investigate claims, arbitrate claims, and to make a decision that the retailer was at fault and levy fines to make sure the retailer doesn't do it again?
Who cares? It's the law. It's enforced and shops are - generally - compliant without resorting to the courts.

Not all claims by consumers are legitimate. A consumer could knock over his TV and claim it was defective from the factory and the retailer gets blamed for not replacing that defective TV.
After a set period of time, it's up to the consumer to prove that the goods were faulty at time of purchase. Have a read of the MSE link I supplied. This is all explained.

It appears the Sale of Goods Act is this very effective law that makes sure that all retailers understands every detail about every product and will honor all returns just because the customer claims the product is defective.
It's a great law, designed to protect the rights of consumers rather than big business. I know, right - how dare a government attempt to protect its consumers rather than big business! Outrageous isn't it?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:27 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Trading Standards at the local town hall deal with breaches of the Sale of Goods Act, if things haven't changed since I left the UK.
Trading Standards are generally useless. It's easier to file in the small claims court against a retailer in such a situation.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Who said it was not enforced?
If there is no staff to enforce the law, then it I unenforced. You may be able to go to small claims court but that is no different than the US.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:28 am
Banned

If there is no enforcement, why is the Sales of Good Act so important in the minds of the British? Is there a perception that that since there is a law, it makes consumers feel more comfortable?
Erm, because it IS enforced and it ensures consumers have rights against retailers refusing to refund / replace faulty goods?

But I guess a country used to big business essentially writing their own laws are never going to understand how the other half could live.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:28 am
Banned

If there is no staff to enforce the law, then it I unenforced. You may be able to go to small claims court but that is no different than the US.
What legislation would you rely on to protect your claim in the US out of interest?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Death panels and no enforcement of the Sale of Goods Act. What a dump.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Sometimes it's easier to invoke the warranty, for example my Miele washing machine would have been replaced by John Lewis if needed to be. However, it was easier for Miele to simply come round and replace the part.

What relevance is that? If you keep within the manufacturers guidelines for servicing, then your warranty remains valid. What's so hard to understand?

Who cares? It's the law. It's enforced and shops are - generally - compliant without resorting to the courts.

After a set period of time, it's up to the consumer to prove that the goods were faulty at time of purchase. Have a read of the MSE link I supplied. This is all explained.
So how is that any different from the US?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good idea to read all the replies.

I have never had to enforce it personally and do not know anybody who has.

Going to very rare that it gets to that point, how often have you gone to Court to enforce a Warranty?

There is no Sale of Goods Act in the US so how would a Court help?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:33 am
Banned

So how is that any different from the US?
Erm. Why is this so hard for you?

The US consumer relies on the GOODWILL of a company to resolve an issue.
The UK consumer can rely on the LAW to ensure a company appropriately resolves their issue.

BTW - you guys don't even get compensated if your flight is delayed, even if the airline is solely at fault. In the EU, airlines are compelled to offer compensation. It's great.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jul 30th 2014 at 6:35 am.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Death panels and no enforcement of the Sale of Goods Act. What a dump.
But

Enforcement of Death Panels.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:34 am
Banned

Exactly. It wouldn't. If there is no basis in law for your claim, it's pretty hard to be awarded judgement in my experience.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:35 am
Account Closed

I do remember seeing warranty's where they covered that for the US and Canada in the same document, guess which one was more restrictive.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:40 am
Banned

I do remember seeing warranty's where they covered that for the US and Canada in the same document, guess which one was more restrictive.
Indeed. Amazing how a (much) smarter than your average American (Michael) is arguing in favour of the US system
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have never had to enforce it personally and do not know anybody who has.

Going to very rare that it gets to that point, how often have you gone to Court to enforce a Warranty?
I have never had a problem either getting defective products replaced. Within 30 days, I have always been able to take it back to the retailer and after that, the manufacturer has always honored it's warranty.

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Exactly. It wouldn't. If there is no basis in law for your claim, it's pretty hard to be awarded judgement in my experience.
There may not be a specific Sales of Goods Act but there are lemon laws and other laws that protect the consumer.

I never had such a poor new car warranty as I had when I lived in Germany. I bought a new car and 3 months later, they rear view mirror fell off the window and it wasn't covered under the warranty. Then two years later, all the vinyl trim started coming lose and that was my problem. After 15,000 miles I had a pile of junk and no recourse.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 30th 2014 at 6:52 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.