Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Mum's playing the tunes again...ears down

Mum's playing the tunes again...ears down

Old Dec 21st 2008, 6:35 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mum's playing the tunes again...ears down

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I saw adverts for those in flyers. I'm a bit suspect. I wonder if the reproduced quality is any good. There is nothing like the sound of music from vinyl.

Do you know anyone who's bought and used such a piece of equipment. Were they happy with the audio results?
I got one which you either connect to a computer or to your HiFi system.

You need to make use of the software that comes with it to get the best out of converting to a CD. Connected to by surround sound system it is pretty good, but not as good as a top class turntable.

It is an Audio-Technica AT-PL50
Old Dec 21st 2008, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The old fashioned way.... a good sturdy DJ turntable, with high quality audio cabling, to the computer where you can set a high sampling rate (at least 44 kHz).

Anything less is definitely not capturing properly.
I think you need a pre-amp to do that though - don't you?
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:03 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I think you need a pre-amp to do that though - don't you?
Depends on your audio card. You're right that the signal coming out of the turnable is very weak and has to be amplified before you record it. Question is where and how do you do that? The "best" way to reproduce the vinyl sound would be to use a vacuum tube amp but I can't see everyone buying one just for this purpose. Second best would be analog transistor amplifier. Third best is a digital amplifier. This is the most likely to be used in the all-in-one system, and any decent sound card will have an input channel that isn't amplified. In fact, most external sources to a sound card are not amplified. If they were, they'd blow the sound card.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Depends on your audio card. You're right that the signal coming out of the turnable is very weak and has to be amplified before you record it. Question is where and how do you do that? The "best" way to reproduce the vinyl sound would be to use a vacuum tube amp but I can't see everyone buying one just for this purpose. Second best would be analog transistor amplifier. Third best is a digital amplifier. This is the most likely to be used in the all-in-one system, and any decent sound card will have an input channel that isn't amplified. In fact, most external sources to a sound card are not amplified. If they were, they'd blow the sound card.
Perhaps the sound cards have changed since I last looked into this - I seem to remember requiring a little gadget in-between the traditional turntable and the computer. Certainly more handy if it's not needed now.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:32 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a TEAC a while ago, it burns audio tracks that work with windows media player. The hisses and pops remain although they are minimized if you get the newest brushes, I have an LP Gear X3, they get rid of everything but that that is embedded. I find the quality good, but I have old ears and probably can hear only a diminished range. I started copying so I could play them in the car, but I don't drive so much now.

I have a turntable and preamp to go with my Bose, but I have to build a custom bookshelf to hold the Bose, the Kenwood turntable and the records and CDs.

The new players all seem to use the same tonearm and pickup
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

I got a USB turntable (my mother still calls it a gramaphone) as a present about a year ago, and have had great fun putting a ton of vinyl into MP3s. I had a bunch of stuff that's not available on Cd or anything in the US so that was really the only way to do it.

I did use the Mrs. turntable plugged into the soundcard, but with no pre-amp the sound quality was like sitting next to someone playing an old cassette walkman.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:36 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katieuk
I love Chinchillas. They're like the furry little friends that will destroy your life if given a chance. But you still love them...LP covers, phone cords, shoes, eyelashes (a drunken friend who slept on the floor while they were running around)

That's the best drunken sleeping incident story EVER!!!!!!
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:00 am
Banned

katieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Juswus
That's the best drunken sleeping incident story EVER!!!!!!
The worst part was they only chewed on one eye...he looked rather uneven for a long time
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:15 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I bought a TEAC a while ago, it burns audio tracks that work with windows media player. The hisses and pops remain although they are minimized if you get the newest brushes, I have an LP Gear X3, they get rid of everything but that that is embedded. I find the quality good, but I have old ears and probably can hear only a diminished range. I started copying so I could play them in the car, but I don't drive so much now.

I have a turntable and preamp to go with my Bose, but I have to build a custom bookshelf to hold the Bose, the Kenwood turntable and the records and CDs.

The new players all seem to use the same tonearm and pickup

FFS the implication was to post a few tunes not give us your personal life history of the gramophone
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:31 am
Banned

katieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
I also find USB turntables a little pricey to just copy over some vinyl. It depends on how badly you want the music in digital form, I suppose.
Isn't it enjoyable just to get the record out of the sleeve, place it on the deck, pray the needle isn't full of dust, and then listen to the tune, scratches and all!
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
FFS the implication was to post a few tunes not give us your personal life history of the gramophone
You ever heard that Kate Bush song that she wrote obviously with you in mind?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Ingurland is just really niceIngurland is just really niceIngurland is just really niceIngurland is just really niceIngurland is just really niceIngurland is just really niceIngurland is just really niceIngurland is just really nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14IRDDnEPR4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TYirjKLskk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pACePi441ds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_sB...eature=related

Here's so oldie, but goodies for ya I love the 80s
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katieuk
Isn't it enjoyable just to get the record out of the sleeve, place it on the deck, pray the needle isn't full of dust, and then listen to the tune, scratches and all!
Well, I have to admit that I was glad to discover the CD. I have the habit of listening to one tune over and over if I like it, and back then having to manually move the arm to the beginning because the automatic motion of the arm used to take it off the outer edge - I have to say that I'm glad to see the back of them.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Ingurland is just really niceIngurland is just really niceIngurland is just really niceIngurland is just really niceIngurland is just really niceIngurland is just really niceIngurland is just really niceIngurland is just really nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji6K7NZq7Xw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9969...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW_aWY5PubI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hksil-KkebQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPmy2fCuTjs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n6ch...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Lfe...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nFXCwPlCg0

: hehe
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:28 am
Banned

No, no, no and no...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.