Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Mum's playing the tunes again...ears down

Mum's playing the tunes again...ears down

Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:47 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mum's playing the tunes again...ears down

Originally Posted by katieuk
LP covers, phone cords, shoes, eyelashes
molten lava, chernobyl grade plutonium...........

Deacon blue
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:54 am
Banned

katieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud of

Even though we're jumping a decade -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMBTUYZeHPk
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:04 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:23 am
Banned

katieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud ofkatieuk has much to be proud of

Nice bunch of daffodils on TOTP...
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:17 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I was the only mum whose *kids* were saying "turn that down! It's so loud that it hurts our ears!" Supposed to be the other way around!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

DMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by katieuk
So every once in a while, I feel the need to play something from way back when. I dig out my LP's (yes I have a turntable!) and CD's, and have a blast.

Tonight it was Blondie, The Specials and ???Rod Stewart???

Anyone else have the same urges?
I've been living on Roxy Music, Hall & Oates and Blondie this past month for some reason.

Lots of memories of school disco's!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'd like a record player. Got the speakers (brought them over from the UK). I have a ton of vinyl. Perhaps 500 or so in total (LPs, 12"s, 7"s and other odd sizes).
You could get one of those record players that copies the records to CD.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:24 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
You could get one of those record players that copies the records to CD.
I saw adverts for those in flyers. I'm a bit suspect. I wonder if the reproduced quality is any good. There is nothing like the sound of music from vinyl.

Do you know anyone who's bought and used such a piece of equipment. Were they happy with the audio results?
Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:28 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

My son hooks up his turntable to the computer and copies LPs that way.

I like to dig out my Queen LPs the most, but I've recently had Frampton, Led Zep, and Bad Co. out.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I saw adverts for those in flyers. I'm a bit suspect. I wonder if the reproduced quality is any good. There is nothing like the sound of music from vinyl.

Do you know anyone who's bought and used such a piece of equipment. Were they happy with the audio results?
I think for the most part, they still sound like records Unless you do a bunch of fancy editing to get rid of scratches etc. I believe the audio/video guy here in town uses one those (charging for it) - the Crosleys (?). He says it's ok. I haven't tried it myself. I bet Amazon.com sells them - perhaps there'd be some reviews on there.

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
My son hooks up his turntable to the computer and copies LPs that way.

I like to dig out my Queen LPs the most, but I've recently had Frampton, Led Zep, and Bad Co. out.
This is another option a lot of people use - I think for less than the above players, one can get a USB turntable that just hooks up to the computer. Again, I'm sorry, I haven't tried it myself.

For a regular turntable to hook up to a computer requries a pre-amp I think. Maybe that's what your son is doing? Unless he has a USB designed for it...
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:22 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I think for the most part, they still sound like records Unless you do a bunch of fancy editing to get rid of scratches etc. I believe the audio/video guy here in town uses one those (charging for it) - the Crosleys (?). He says it's ok. I haven't tried it myself. I bet Amazon.com sells them - perhaps there'd be some reviews on there.

This is another option a lot of people use - I think for less than the above players, one can get a USB turntable that just hooks up to the computer. Again, I'm sorry, I haven't tried it myself.

For a regular turntable to hook up to a computer requries a pre-amp I think. Maybe that's what your son is doing? Unless he has a USB designed for it...

He bought the turntable to work through the comp....so I guess that is what he does. He plays guitar, keyboards, and likes to mix his stuff.....much too complicated for a simple explanation when I asked him about it before.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
He bought the turntable to work through the comp....so I guess that is what he does. He plays guitar, keyboards, and likes to mix his stuff.....much too complicated for a simple explanation when I asked him about it before.
Probably a USB turntable then.

I've heard those work quite well - but more fussing than the standalone units that copy directly to Cd.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a USB turntable then.

I've heard those work quite well - but more fussing than the standalone units that copy directly to Cd.
I also find USB turntables a little pricey to just copy over some vinyl. It depends on how badly you want the music in digital form, I suppose.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
I also find USB turntables a little pricey to just copy over some vinyl. It depends on how badly you want the music in digital form, I suppose.
They're a good bit cheaper than the standalone units I think. But you're right - depends how bad you want the music, and how much of it you have I guess.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:51 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The old fashioned way.... a good sturdy DJ turntable, with high quality audio cabling, to the computer where you can set a high sampling rate (at least 44 kHz).

Anything less is definitely not capturing properly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.