Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Moving to America despite hating it

Moving to America despite hating it

Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America despite hating it

Originally Posted by Hotscot
(Where is Sultan these days anyway...?)
Oh his mum is very ill.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778

I have successfully reduced the chance of being subject to gun crime (and other risks) by choosing to live in a nice and well-off suburb of Houston, instead of living close to work. Have I removed that risk? No.
But all the folks in Newtown thought they had successfully reduced the chance of being subject to gun crime by living in a bucolic New England town in a state that apparently comes 46th on the list for percentages of residents being gun owners. Yes, of course one can make good choices on where to spend one's life, but I believe that wherever one chooses to live in the world, there will always be something or someone, unless you are alone on a desert island. Your "well-off suburb" isn't immune.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
But all the folks in Newtown thought they had successfully reduced the chance of being subject to gun crime by living in a bucolic New England town in a state that apparently comes 46th on the list for percentages of residents being gun owners. Yes, of course one can make good choices on where to spend one's life, but I believe that wherever one chooses to live in the world, there will always be something or someone, unless you are alone on a desert island. Your "well-off suburb" isn't immune.
Sure. In fact, there was a family of four killed in their home in the same subdivision as my wife's old house in January. Hence why I said, "Have I removed that risk? No."
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
He's not asking for the pros and cons of the USA though is he. He already has concerns and is asking if someone who feels that way will grow to love it. I can't actually call to mind a member on here in that position. Maybe 'Sultan of Swing'.

Guns, healthcare and culture were exactly the problems I had, you can keep fighting the feelings but it's hard. However, marriage means compromise and he may have to approach it in that spirit.
That is a useful answer, Sally, and some of what I was trying to get across in my first reply.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

He's not asking for the pros and cons of the USA though is he. He already has concerns and is asking if someone who feels that way will grow to love it. I can't actually call to mind a member on here in that position. Maybe 'Sultan of Swing'.

Guns, healthcare and culture were exactly the problems I had, you can keep fighting the feelings but it's hard. However, marriage means compromise and he may have to approach it in that spirit.
The OP indicates that he anticipates a move to NYC, which is about as non-redneck and gun culture as one can get -- and as much artistic culture as one could want! If he's into city dwelling and the budget runs to it, he can live in the city, if he wants something more rural, NJ, Westchester, and CT are excellent options. Whatever he prefers, in NYC one is far away from the NRA and been-to-FL-and-loved-Disney set.

But as someone else indicated, it would certainly make sense for his wife to investigate UK citizenship prior to any move.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Good points Owen and Nutmegger. The only problem will be if he finds he doesn't like it after all but gets stuck there due to kids. But men usually adapt OK.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

He already has concerns and is asking if someone who feels that way will grow to love it..
Yes that would be my wife. Didn't want to come over and had all the common concerns about healthcare, guns etc. I managed to as persuade her to come over and give it a try. She ended up loving it here and doesn't want to move back to the UK unless we absolutely have too.

The transition was amazing, she never had single problem.

Its the day to day things and standard of living that may surprise the OP. So long as you have money of course.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 10:58 pm
TMR
Account Closed

TMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies. So many views!

Yes she has a good job but mine (solicitor) won't transfer over there. I'll end up doing something else and this is another point of contention. Friends have moved to alternate careers though.

My concern remains that I'm just not suited to America. I feel thoroughly European at heart and unsure how I'll get on in a country that (as Psyman suggested) reacted so bizarrely to a tragic shooting. But as many point out NYC isn't so far removed from London in terms of culture etc. Maybe I'll enjoy it. I certainly don't want to bore you all on here with complaints.

Excellent point about her UK citizenship but I doubt she's willing to wait that long. We don't have kids yet.

Happy wife = happy life as they say. She would stay if I insisted, but I couldn't do that to her.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

pigg10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thinbrit
I like it here, a lot. I'd never consider moving back to the UK. I find the thought of visiting Disney World repugnant.

Nothing is stopping you vacationing in Europe. You are moving to the US, not the moon.

Politics are screwed up in every country, I say that and I am an elected official.

Healthcare, as I remember it, in the UK wasn't that good. My nan got bumped from waiting list to waiting list to have her cataract surgery, and died 8 years later without ever getting it done. It sounds like you'll be in a position to pay for health care here. My medical needs have been met better than when in the UK, but I pay more for them here.

Gun control sickening you? Not sure if you are pro or anti gun, as gun control usually refers to anti gun. A lot of people are fearful of guns, and whether justified or not, they choose to live in fear.

Perhaps a little reflection is in order, to consider the possibility your fears are deeper than you think they are. What is the real concern about here?
Well said
Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Bit harsh....the OP is indeed reflecting, that's why he's here asking...
Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMR
Thanks for all the replies. So many views!

Yes she has a good job but mine (solicitor) won't transfer over there. I'll end up doing something else and this is another point of contention. Friends have moved to alternate careers though.

My concern remains that I'm just not suited to America. I feel thoroughly European at heart and unsure how I'll get on in a country that (as Psyman suggested) reacted so bizarrely to a tragic shooting. But as many point out NYC isn't so far removed from London in terms of culture etc. Maybe I'll enjoy it. I certainly don't want to bore you all on here with complaints.

Excellent point about her UK citizenship but I doubt she's willing to wait that long. We don't have kids yet.

Happy wife = happy life as they say. She would stay if I insisted, but I couldn't do that to her.
Take it from me, insist on the UK citizenship. We too were in a hurry to move and had we waited to do all the paperwork, etc, I'd have an avenue to return (if we were going back.) Under current immigration standards it would only be my husband and our daughter (British born) that would have the opportunity to move back.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:21 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I never wanted to visit USA. Met a girl and it became a possibility. Took the plunge 10 years ago. Girl left 5 years ago. I decided to stay, even though there is nothing keeping me here.

Not really sure why, not good with change I think. No regrets about trying it though. And I can go back any time.

I also changed careers, hotels to banks
Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Take it from me, insist on the UK citizenship. We too were in a hurry to move and had we waited to do all the paperwork, etc, I'd have an avenue to return (if we were going back.) Under current immigration standards it would only be my husband and our daughter (British born) that would have the opportunity to move back.
Spouse can't sponsor to have their non-UK spouse live in the UK? Or am I misunderstanding?
Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You never how a move can change an opinion of a place, even one you think you don't like.

I didn't like Canada the one time I visited, then met a Canadian gal and ended up moving here, and in the end, could not have been better decision. Canada is basically Diet US though, mostly the same with some better stuff thrown in to make it a bit different.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Spouse can't sponsor to have their non-UK spouse live in the UK? Or am I misunderstanding?
Yes, but you have to prove that you make a certain amount of money. If you don't have a job you're going to, this all involves time.

Just a lot more complicated now and much easier if she has her UK citizenship, should they ever want to go back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.