Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Meanwhile in Florida

Meanwhile in Florida

Old Feb 11th 2021, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meanwhile in Florida

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Hey, if you're 43 years old and you've just won your seventh Super Bowl I think you ought to be able to get wasted on a boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cxiaqAW0SA
Nothing wrong with getting drunk, it's the unceremonious tossing of the US' biggest money-spinning sport's trophy from one drunk to another that's deserving of an honorary Floridaman title.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Oh joy, I'm due to be in Tampa in a couple of weeks. Looks like it will be work in lab, drive to hotel, order delivery, eat in solitude of hotel room, rinse and repeat, which is what I was planning but now I'll be even more careful to avoid unnecessary interactions.
I'm not sure that Tampa nightlife has been much different recently, the usual evening haunts for younger generation have been packed at weekends, there were just more of them this past week. St Pete hasn't been much different, I'm not sure if Tampa's county of Hillsborough is any different from St Pete's county of Pinellas but I know that there is no restriction in restaurants in Pinellas and a quick glance through the windows of some of our favourite haunts have revealed them to be just as packed as they were pre-Covid, keeping tables empty to enable social distancing is distant history.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 10:20 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I'm not sure that Tampa nightlife has been much different recently, the usual evening haunts for younger generation have been packed at weekends, there were just more of them this past week. St Pete hasn't been much different, I'm not sure if Tampa's county of Hillsborough is any different from St Pete's county of Pinellas but I know that there is no restriction in restaurants in Pinellas and a quick glance through the windows of some of our favourite haunts have revealed them to be just as packed as they were pre-Covid, keeping tables empty to enable social distancing is distant history.
That definitely means I'm eating takeout in the hotel. Having spent the last almost 12 months being very careful, I really don't want to fall at the last fence before my group (PA 1b) comes to the top of the list for the vaccine.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

That definitely means I'm eating takeout in the hotel. Having spent the last almost 12 months being very careful, I really don't want to fall at the last fence before my group (PA 1b) comes to the top of the list for the vaccine.
Stay safe, just be aware that Florida has no mask mandate in place and although a few places like Tampa do Governor Desantis removed the ability for them to apply fines and penalties which make any mask mandate in the state unenforceable.
I'm not sure how widespread the reporting is nationally on the UK variant but I read a piece in our local rag that is a bit of an eyeopener. While it is based in a red, head-in-the-sand, county south of Hillsborough the local paper maintains a good standard of reporting and might be one to keep an eye on for personal monitoring of the situation locally
This is the article, the headline is unusually misleading: https://www.bradenton.com/news/coron...249154715.html There is a 3 article limit which resets if you clear cookies.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 1:45 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Stay safe, just be aware that Florida has no mask mandate in place and although a few places like Tampa do Governor Desantis removed the ability for them to apply fines and penalties which make any mask mandate in the state unenforceable.
I'm not sure how widespread the reporting is nationally on the UK variant but I read a piece in our local rag that is a bit of an eyeopener. While it is based in a red, head-in-the-sand, county south of Hillsborough the local paper maintains a good standard of reporting and might be one to keep an eye on for personal monitoring of the situation locally
This is the article, the headline is unusually misleading: https://www.bradenton.com/news/coron...249154715.html There is a 3 article limit which resets if you clear cookies.
As a consulting field service engineer I have been taking great care and although I know masks are not a magic screen I'll use them as an incremental part of my protection. Luckily in general in labs the mask is just viewed as another piece of PPE in addition to lab coats, safety glasses, gloves etc so there seems to be good compliance at least in my workplaces. Hotel reception areas make me feel vulnerable and eating out is just not an option I am ready to take. As well as my usual stuff I shall pack my plate, cutlery and beer glass, make one trip to Publix for some beer when I arrive and then retreat to my hotel after work each day and follow my introvert instincts
Old Feb 19th 2021, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-covid-vaccine
Old Apr 10th 2021, 12:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...l-debra-hunter

​​​​​​A Florida woman whose image went viral when she coughed on a fellow customer at a store last year in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic has been sentenced to 30 days in jail.

A judge in Jacksonville on Thursday also ordered Debra Hunter to pay a $500 fine, serve six months probation and participate in a mental health evaluation along with anger management, David Chapman, communications director for the state attorney’s office in Jacksonville, said in an email. She was also ordered to cover the costs of the victim’s Covid-19 test.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...=trueSOUTHWEST RANCHES — Two lovebirds thought a palatial mansion in scenic Southwest Ranches was the perfect place to tie the knot.

God called them there, they said. So the pair, referring to themselves as “the Royal Couple,” posted an online invitation to “our dream home and estate” — a 16,313-square-foot home with nine bedrooms, 15 bathrooms, a bowling alley, a theater and an 800-square-foot bar.
Trouble was, it was someone else’s home.The owner was confounded when groom Courtney Wilson and another person showed up at the gate Saturday morning, prepared to set up for Wilson’s wedding to Shenita Jones at what the invite called “the Wilson estate
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 1:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
...a bowling alley...
I used to live in a house with a bowling alley. It started from the front door and ran the length of the staircase, reaching the doorway to the kitchen.

Others may have called it the hall but to me it was a bowling alley, a bowling green (marbles instead of 'woods') and even a cricket pitch.
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

I seem to remember years ago that somebody rented an AirBnB to host a full on wedding, I guess you could get away with it, but in that case the Host lived on site so noticed.

I was wondering how they were going to get inside, or was the plan just to hold it in the grounds?
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 2:45 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, the linked news article is behind a paywall.

Found one at my local newspaper - https://www.tampabay.com/news/florid...ission-to-use/
Old Apr 27th 2021, 5:38 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

Just unbelievable https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56905752
Old Apr 27th 2021, 6:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if they have trials by ordeal to see if people are witches or not.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 7:29 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

I wonder if they have trials by ordeal to see if people are witches or not.
Old Apr 27th 2021, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

'Three women have had their menstrual cycles affected after being near a vaccinated person'.

I suppose it had absolutely nothing to do with her husband's dick...

Bloody morons the lot of them, best left to their own devices and suffer the consequences. Future candidates for Darwin's awards?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.