Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:18 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Oh, absolutely! The stupid 0% finance deals that the US public are hooked on will go away, and vehicle sales will plummet.
I’m not sure a 0% finance deal can ever be stupid. If someone will give me the cash for free, I will take it and do something else with my own money.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:25 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot

That's a great shame. Saved my ass many a time.
I think I rebuilt my BMW 2002 Tii Touring with the help of his book.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
…. I’m not sure a 0% finance deal can ever be stupid. If someone will give me the cash for free, I will take it and do something else with my own money.
Except that in the small print you are foregoing a discount of several thousand dollars if you take the promotional loan rate, so the "0%" is isn't actually a zero cost option, which is why I called it "stupid", it is a marketing sleight of hand.

That said, I agree in practice and we found that paying $366/mth for 60 months, with nothing down for a new Accord was too attractive an offer to turn down.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:29 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not sure a 0% finance deal can ever be stupid. If someone will give me the cash for free, I will take it and do something else with my own money.
They aren't giving you it for free though, they just jack up the price of the car to compensate. Companies never offer financing that they lose money on.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​​Chevy? That us significantly narrower than an F250, by at least around 6" IIRC. I got a lift in Chevy 2500 once and was surprised how narrow it felt compared to my F250.
I never compared the width of the 3 brands. Mine has brush guards on it that wrap around the headlights, so that significantly increases the width. It came with the truck. GM lists the Silverado 2500HD as a smidgen wider than the short-box Ford F250.
https://www.gmfleet.com/chevrolet/si...imensions.html

These Ford specs do not make sense. They state that the short-box F250 is 80" while the long-bed is 96" .
https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-du...s/f250-lariat/

Old Feb 15th 2019, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
These Ford specs do not make sense. They state that the short-box F250 is 80" while the long-bed is 96" .
https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-du...s/f250-lariat/
That would be the bed length, NOT the width.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 12:19 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
They aren't giving you it for free though, they just jack up the price of the car to compensate. Companies never offer financing that they lose money on.
Like all things car buying, it depends on how close to end of the year, etc, you are. On average, no they don’t. What can be achieved individually in order for a dealer to achieve a unit target if you buy on 30th December? That’s another thing.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
That would be the bed length, NOT the width.
Must be a typo for sure, cause just noticed that the width with rear-view mirrors is the same for all (short bed and long bed)

Old Feb 16th 2019, 1:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Like all things car buying, it depends on how close to end of the year, etc, you are. On average, no they don’t. What can be achieved individually in order for a dealer to achieve a unit target if you buy on 30th December? That’s another thing.
Agreed. We appear to have got a "get rid of it" deal on our Accord as it had been in inventory for 360 days, and during that time the dealer had replaced the seats and trim with leather seats and trim, but we still got a discount to the original price (with cloth seats) and ended up paying only around $1,500 more than our base level Accord, with cloth seats that we purchased more than 14 years earlier!

BTW the apparent reason it hadn't sold was that it has a manual transmission, which is exactly why we wanted it!

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 16th 2019 at 1:47 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Must be a typo for sure, cause just noticed that the width with rear-view mirrors is the same for all (short bed and long bed) ...
Yes , a typo, and as noted that is the bed length, not the width. I also noted that the HD Chevies are now as wide as the F250.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Old Feb 25th 2019, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Can confirm my truck is too wide to fit in a car wash... Only time it's actually been an issue. Slightly annoying as I didn't want to do it myself in -9C weather.

Grand Tour episode on Friday was pretty damn good... I have a slight affection for the Fiat Hammond was driving
Old Feb 25th 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by BenK91
Can confirm my truck is too wide to fit in a car wash... Only time it's actually been an issue. ….:
How wide is your truck? My F250 fits through a car wash with no problem, though I do fold the door mirrors flat against the doors before entering. …. Maybe you just need to find a wider car wash.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

How wide is your truck? My F250 fits through a car wash with no problem, though I do fold the door mirrors flat against the doors before entering. …. Maybe you just need to find a wider car wash.
According to the the all-wise google the Raptor is 79.9 to 86.3″

My Colorado went through there fine!
Old Feb 25th 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by BenK91
According to the the all-wise google the Raptor is 79.9 to 86.3″ ….
The larger number is usually the width with door mirrors (I think ), so I am going to assume that your Raptor has pretty wide wheel arch flares, meaning that the door mirrors don't add much to the overall width.

My F250 is 79.9" - 95.5", so the same body width as your Raptor, but with mirrors that stick out much further beyond the body/ wheel arches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.