Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Sep 23rd 2015, 5:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Owen778
You have a source for that? Because at first sight that's a claim that doesn't make any sense. I can explain why if needed.
My perspective, and source, is probably different from yours.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 5:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I just found this from a couple of weeks ago. A 1929 Bentley 4 1/2 "barn car", the owners thought it might be worth £30,000, ...... Auctioned for £700,000! It has original chassis, engine, gearbox and axles.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 23rd 2015 at 5:41 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 5:42 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Weekly Gasoline Price Update: Regular and Premium Down Again, WTIC Up - dshort - Advisor Perspectives

Gasoline typically tracks Brent. Macondo was in 2010. I don't see it.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I just found this from a couple of weeks ago. A 1929 Bentley 4 1/2 "barn car", the owners thought it might be worth £30,000, ...... Auctioned for £700,000! It has original chassis, engine, gearbox and axles.

https://s.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Yg...ba46cb5aeaf014
Some twat on Velocity probably thinks that would made a wicked rat rod and make it hella flush yo!
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
..... Weekly Gasoline Price Update: Regular and Premium Down Again, WTIC Up - dshort - Advisor Perspectives

Gasoline typically tracks Brent. Macondo was in 2010. I don't see it.
There's a lot of noise. The question is "what would oil/gas be selling for if Deepwater Horizon hadn't blown up?" I wouldn't ask an oil engineer how to answer such a question any more than I would ask an economist for advice on operating a drilling rig.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 23rd 2015 at 6:53 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 6:01 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of noise. The question is "what would oil/gas be selling for if New Horizons hadn't blown up?" I wouldn't ask an oil engineer how to answer such a question any more than I would ask an economist for advice on operating a drilling rig.
Right.....

Edit to add: here's a presentation given 3 days before Macondo and the Deepwater Horizon disaster.

https://www.ihs.com/pdf/price-Foreca...0913046532.pdf

Last edited by Mr Weeze; Sep 23rd 2015 at 6:12 pm. Reason: Added link
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

My perspective, and source, is probably different from yours.
Agreed.

1. Risks associated with drilling affect the upstream oil sector. Gas prices are controlled by the downstream oil sector. Even if you consider that integrated oil companies, who are in both upstream and downstream, might be able to transfer costs from one to the other, they then wouldn't be able to compete with the companies that are only downstream.
2. Oil is a worldwide commodity. Oil from the Gulf of Mexico, produced post-Macondo, has to be able to compete with imported oil that can be drilled and produced without the risk of "incurring fines". If it can't a new field doesn't get developed.

And this brings us to what actually happened, post-Macondo, in the Gulf of Mexico. When drilling finally resumed after the moratorium was lifted, it was with extra drilling procedures and materials and extra oil spill response to make drilling safer. Wells became more expensive to drill, and so fields had to be slightly bigger than before to be economic to take forward to production. This would have pushed the price of crude oil up slightly in the short to medium term, but such changes in global supply should have equalised out by now.

So to answer your question, "what would oil/gas be selling for if New Horizons hadn't blown up?", the answer is, "Most likely exactly what it's selling for now."

Oh, and the drilling rig was called the "Deepwater Horizon". "New Horizons" is a space probe.

Last edited by Owen778; Sep 23rd 2015 at 7:18 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I predict a coupon (non transferable) toward the purchase of your next VW and a multi-billion sum to be split between the lawyers and some nameless .gov department who will spend it on..... something
That's not a joke. Just got a notice regarding a settlement of a lawsuit filed by some of my colleagues in Delaware and NY against Kinder-Morgan. The former holders of the Partnership shares will get peanuts ($0.10 per share held per quarter for about 5 quarters) out of a $27,000,000 settlement. The plaintiff lawyers get 25% of the fund and another $650,000 for costs. Not sure if I should fill out the form to get my $100.00, but it would pay for dinner with my wife at Olive Garden.

Yes, what would the Government spend an $18,000,000,000 fine on?
Old Sep 24th 2015, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
We also have a CRV and it is has been very reliable. I have been looking at the different reviews for SUV's. I noticed that the Acura MDX comes out a little better. Is there a reason you would choose the Lexus over the Acura?

Not being in the US I have no idea of most of the models until we get there what any of them are really like, at the moment it is just internet searches. So any real life recommendations would be most appreciated.
Some very high-level generalizations:
  1. Japanese models have higher reliability than US and European models.
  2. European models (esp. BMW/Mercedes/Audi) have higher repair costs than Japanese and US models.
  3. Japanese models have the highest resale values.
  4. Driving a Japanese car here doesn't have the stigma it has in Europe.
  1. Within the Japanese models, Lexus have the highest reliability
  2. Acura tend to offer very few options (most features are included) making them easier to 'price compare'. Lexus tend to have more individual choices. Nothing like BMW, though - where you can choose different steering wheels, gear shift fobs, etc - making the pricing/buying stage very challenging.
  3. Lexus have always pushed a 'smooth and quiet' goal, while Acura pursue technology/performance. I've had several Acuras but now want to get something as smooth and quiet as possible, so am entertaining the Lexus RX350. I got the Honda CR-V last time because I'd never had an 'SUV' (or CUV), and wanted to spend less first time; turns out to be a perfect format for me so I'm now ready to spend more within the category.

The current trend with many vehicles seems to be towards 'handling' ... even Lexus are pushing a 'performance' image. This, to me, is a step backwards because you end up with a stiffer suspension, noisier interior, larger rims/lower profile tires that result in bumpier rides, etc ... but I'm probably in a minority on that one. All the mags/review sites focus on performance/handling and give very little praise for quietness, smoothness.

The good news is, these days, reliability is pretty good on all makes/models, so you can choose based on other factors. Edmunds have a pretty good website to let you review features.

This site does a good summary of reliability. Strange to see Buick up there - that's a new development! Look at the placing of European models in the list; only Mercedes make it into the top 10, with Audi/BMW in 15/19th place.
J.D. Power: Lexus ranked most reliable, Buick up to #2
Old Sep 24th 2015, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 24th 2015, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
...... The current trend with many vehicles seems to be towards 'handling' ... even Lexus are pushing a 'performance' image. This, to me, is a step backwards because you end up with a stiffer suspension, noisier interior, larger rims/lower profile tires that result in bumpier rides, etc ... but I'm probably in a minority on that one. ......
You've been living in the US for too long!
Old Sep 24th 2015, 5:05 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

'handling' ... This, to me, is a step backwards because you end up with a stiffer suspension, noisier interior, larger rims/lower profile tires that result in bumpier rides, etc
Every car I ever want to own has this.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 6:20 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Some very high-level generalizations:
  1. Japanese models have higher reliability than US and European models.
  2. European models (esp. BMW/Mercedes/Audi) have higher repair costs than Japanese and US models.
  3. Japanese models have the highest resale values.
  4. Driving a Japanese car here doesn't have the stigma it has in Europe.
  1. Within the Japanese models, Lexus have the highest reliability
  2. Acura tend to offer very few options (most features are included) making them easier to 'price compare'. Lexus tend to have more individual choices. Nothing like BMW, though - where you can choose different steering wheels, gear shift fobs, etc - making the pricing/buying stage very challenging.
  3. Lexus have always pushed a 'smooth and quiet' goal, while Acura pursue technology/performance. I've had several Acuras but now want to get something as smooth and quiet as possible, so am entertaining the Lexus RX350. I got the Honda CR-V last time because I'd never had an 'SUV' (or CUV), and wanted to spend less first time; turns out to be a perfect format for me so I'm now ready to spend more within the category.

The current trend with many vehicles seems to be towards 'handling' ... even Lexus are pushing a 'performance' image. This, to me, is a step backwards because you end up with a stiffer suspension, noisier interior, larger rims/lower profile tires that result in bumpier rides, etc ... but I'm probably in a minority on that one. All the mags/review sites focus on performance/handling and give very little praise for quietness, smoothness.

The good news is, these days, reliability is pretty good on all makes/models, so you can choose based on other factors. Edmunds have a pretty good website to let you review features.

This site does a good summary of reliability. Strange to see Buick up there - that's a new development! Look at the placing of European models in the list; only Mercedes make it into the top 10, with Audi/BMW in 15/19th place.
J.D. Power: Lexus ranked most reliable, Buick up to #2
Thank you so much Steerpike for your comprehensive reply. I will be interested in driving the Lexus and the Acura RX or MX. The Nissan Murano seems to be getting good reviews as well.

The Acura at the moment just looks more attractive than the Lexus to my eyes but perhaps it's only because it looks quite foreign to me still being located in Europe. Would be interested to know if you do decide to go with the Lexus in the end.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

[*]Driving a Japanese car here doesn't have the stigma it has in Europe.
I agree with the Japanese car comment. It still amazes me that the Accord and the Civic are constantly rated as 2 of the best driver focused cars on the road. I think that says more about the other cars here. Whereas they are both undoubtably good cars, I think I'd crash through falling asleep from boredom if I had to drive one regularly.
Bigger rims don't equal better handling, quite the opposite past a certain point. Plus if you get a decent chassis, you can still get a relatively smooth ride, although it will still probably be too stiff for some. I'm with Nutek, every car I own has to be able to put a smile on my face through a corner.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

You've been living in the US for too long!
Originally Posted by Nutek
Every car I ever want to own has this.
Originally Posted by markonline1
I agree with the Japanese car comment. It still amazes me that the Accord and the Civic are constantly rated as 2 of the best driver focused cars on the road. I think that says more about the other cars here. Whereas they are both undoubtably good cars, I think I'd crash through falling asleep from boredom if I had to drive one regularly.
Bigger rims don't equal better handling, quite the opposite past a certain point. Plus if you get a decent chassis, you can still get a relatively smooth ride, although it will still probably be too stiff for some. I'm with Nutek, every car I own has to be able to put a smile on my face through a corner.
Like I said, I'm probably in a minority here. But I do think there's a good deal of brainwashing on this topic. 'performance' doesn't come without a penalty. On my old Acura TL, for example, the rear seats didn't fold - because folding rear seats reduce chassis stability. I put some different tires on it at one point, and it was a disaster, because the whole geometry was very complex and different tires threw everything off.

The issue of bigger rims/ low profile tires is more one of 'fashion', I think - a lot of cars offer a 'sport' version with bigger wheels, and lots of people put 'low profile' tires on their cars supposedly to improve handling, but this is completely counter to comfort.

Personally, I drive between CA and AZ once a month - 750 miles each way - and I find that noise, vibration, roughness, etc drive me crazy. Conversely, I go round tight corners at high speed about once a year ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.