Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:36 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They have something of a point with the hybrids though - the engine will restart after the vehicle has been parked.

Even my ride-on mower cuts off if I get off the seat!
and my Jeep pings very loudly if I open the door and the engine is running. I suspect most cars with touch start do that as well.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
and my Jeep pings very loudly if I open the door and the engine is running. I suspect most cars with touch start do that as well.
My truck and Mustang do if the key is in the ignition even if the engine is turned off - it serves two purposes: to tell me a door is open if I am about to drive off, and that I have left the key in the ignition if I am about to get out of the vehicle.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 7:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They have something of a point with the hybrids though - the engine will restart after the vehicle has been parked.

Even my ride-on mower cuts off if I get off the seat!

In early 2000's we had a test tug/tractor the airline was testing before deciding what to order for replacements and we got one, and stupid thing did that, get off engine cut off wasn't very ideal when sometimes you had to stand up to get a clear view of the last cart when taking tight turns and the stupid tractor shut off...

The airline didn't choose that model...

If someone can't manage to turn of their car with the key-less ignition stuff, did they manage to turn it off when the key was there or did they have trouble there as well?
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 8:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Audi A3 to get 'Virtual Cockpit' Next Year, Exec Says | Digital Trends

This could be interesting...Audi A3 with a virtual cockpit....
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Audi A3 to get 'Virtual Cockpit' Next Year, Exec Says | Digital Trends

This could be interesting...Audi A3 with a virtual cockpit....
If that virtual cockpit displays through the steering wheel, do you think it could result in driver distraction? I do.

A navigation screen in the usual center stack position can also cause driver distraction, but only when you need to consult it. Here the nav would be constantly changing as you go down the road and the temptation to keep looking at it would be strong. Now if it goes a step further and displays email/twitter feeds, etc...
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Now if you get out of your car and leave the engine running it is the manufactures fault!

Cars' keyless ignitions called 'deadly' in lawsuit - Aug. 26, 2015
I've had several frustrating experiences with keyless ignition cars. I do think the current 'design' leaves something to be desired. Not sure what the answer is.

Recent - rental Nissan Altima.
I rented a Nissan Altima last month; keyless ignition. One night, I parked in a fairly busy / noisy parking garage. I remember getting out of the car, and then getting back in to reposition (it was a tight spot between two big trucks). An hour later I returned to the car to see a bunch of security guards around it; turns out I'd left the engine running all this time. I still have no idea what I did exactly, but I'm thinking I did not press 'stop' after repositioning, and - either I ALSO forgot to lock the car (unlikely), OR, you can lock the car from outside using the remote and that does not turn off the engine. It was noisy enough in the garage that you wouldn't notice the fact the engine was running. It would appear you can walk hundreds of feet from the car and there's no indication that the engine is running, and they don't shut down the engine. I can imagine the latter is a safety issue in case someone is driving without the key.

Last Year - Prius
G/F has Prius with keyless ignition. She carries the key fob in her purse. She asked me to drive her someplace. Got to destination; dropped her off outside, then proceeded to park. Got out of the car, realized I did not have the key so could not lock it.

While back - Toyota Camry
Workmate owns keyless Camry. Son visiting from out of town. Loans car to son for the day, but asks him to drop him off at work first. Son takes off in Camry (workmate forgets the key is in his pocket), and several hours later we get a call - son does not have the key and is now stuck 50 miles away (must have turned off engine before realizing he didn't have the key). I end up having to drive my workmate 50 miles to re-unite with son/car.

The great thing about 'mechanical' keys is you can't separate the key from the running vehicle. With 'keyless' ignition, it seems there are numerous circumstances where you can do so. Safety concerns prevent the manufacturers from killing the engine when key goes out of range.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 9:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
..... Last Year - Prius
G/F has Prius with keyless ignition. She carries the key fob in her purse. She asked me to drive her someplace. Got to destination; dropped her off outside, then proceeded to park. Got out of the car, realized I did not have the key so could not lock it. .....
Can't you manually lock the doors with the door open, then close the door holding the handle "up"? That will lock the door on every car I have ever driven and every car either I or my father have owned. (Fords, Vauxhall/GMs, BLs, Chrysler/Roots, VWs, Nissans, Honda, ..... )
..... The great thing about 'mechanical' keys is you can't separate the key from the running vehicle. With 'keyless' ignition, it seems there are numerous circumstances where you can do so. Safety concerns prevent the manufacturers from killing the engine when key goes out of range.
The first car I remember my father having, a Singer Gazelle, had an ignition key that could be removed from the ignition lock while the engine was running.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 3rd 2015 at 9:39 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 9:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The first car I remember my father having, a Singer Gazelle, had an ignition key that could be removed from the ignition lock while the engine was running.
The old Nova, could start and drive that without a key too...not even hot wired
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 9:49 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you manually lock the doors with the door open, then close the door holding the handle "up"?
On my Jeep the door handle is touch sensitive. If I have the fob and touch the back of the handle the door unlocks, it doesn't move up or down. It has a button in the handle which if I have the fob and press, locks the doors.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the best things about aviation....... is I get to drive cars like this Aventador! What a noise this thing makes. The sound is still ringing in my head. Amazing!!!

Old Sep 5th 2015, 7:50 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
One of the best things about aviation....... is I get to drive cars like this Aventador! What a noise this thing makes. The sound is still ringing in my head. Amazing!!!

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...5DA4D56700.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...C2505AA45B.jpg

Old Sep 6th 2015, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
One of the best things about aviation....... is I get to drive cars like this Aventador! ...
just what is the link between aviation and fancy cars ...? I'm guessing rich people who own planes also own fancy cars ...
Old Sep 6th 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
just what is the link between aviation and fancy cars ...? I'm guessing rich people who own planes also own fancy cars ...
A supercar, say $300k+ is chump-change compared to the cost of an executive jet.

Here's a Cessna Citation, just happened to be the first one I found; it's 20 years old. $1.2million!

You want a new one? Prepare to say goodbye to $21 million. If you can afford one of those, you can afford to let the oiks (pls excuse me, Mark ), down at the airport, tool around in your Aventador.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 6th 2015 at 2:28 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

A supercar, say $300k+ is chump-change compared to the cost of an executive jet.

Here's a Cessna Citation, just happened to be the first one I found; it's 20 years old. $1.2million!
Shouldn't point that out. It could start a rant in certain circles about income inequality.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
Shouldn't point that out. It could start a rant in certain circles about income inequality.
And how trickle-down economics doesn't work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.