Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 20th 2015, 2:27 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by markonline1
I got to ride in a McLaren P1
I bet Alonso wishes they were using those.

(Nice pics btw).
Old Aug 20th 2015, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

We've had some awesome cars in at work the last couple of weeks. It's been car week in Monterey which kicks off with the Motorworks Revival party at our place. Got some pics to upload, just been a little busy to do it.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We have had three batteries die in our Accord, and one in our F250, all went with no warning. One minute they work just fine, the next minute, they were dead.

It seems to be the way with American batteries, either that or the technology has changed since I moved over. I have heard it said that it is something to do with the heat, and I remember that at least three (possibly all) of the batteries we have had fail, failed in the middle of summer, just like RBackhouse reported. The original battery in the Honda lasted six years, the next two only lasted three and two years respectively.

Apparently the reason batteries fail quickly is that as they are charged and discharged, particles are slowly shed from the electrodes which collect in the bottom of the battery. Eventually this sludge builds up until it touches the bottom of the electrodes and then bzzt! the battery is dead.
Originally Posted by Norri
AZ has been having extremely high temperatures recently which will kill a battery just a surely as extreme cold.
Originally Posted by lizzyq
I remember being told some years ago by an RAC man that in the winter you usually get warning of impending battery failure by sluggish starting etc, but in the summer they just die.
Originally Posted by excpomea
Many things can effect battery life, as mentioned short trips, cold , heat to name a few.
I would also add lack of maintenance. I know most modern battery's are maintenance free, but most still use acid which can evaporate over time due to extreme heat ect. Requiring a top up with distilled water.
The battery in my VW is supposedly maintenance free, but peel the label off and there are the 6 plugs covering the cells. Pop them off and you can see the acid level. On my passat I check this about once every 6 months. Each time having to add a few ounces of distilled water to cover the lead plates.
This is a 2004 on it's 2nd battery.

Lastly, make sure the terminals are clean and that there is a good contact between the cable and the terminal posts.
Remove the cable, clean off the corrosion and replace. Then cover in petroleum jelly to protect.
This is a once a year thing.

Just these last two will prolong your battery life.
I used the car yesterday and this morning, it started ok. I just plugged in a battery charger, it shot to 6amps, then quickly dropped (in 5 mins) to about 2.5 amps. It's now sitting at a steady 2 amps after about an hour. No idea what 'normal' is ... I plan to put in a new battery today and will try to get up the enthusiasm to repeat this test ...

I'm really not that concerned about the cost, but I'm really pissed off about how incredibly sudden this is. Luckily for me, both times recently has been when sitting either at home or in a decent parking lot, but it could just as easily have happened when I'm having dinner in Oakland or at some remote hiking trail head ... really sucks!

This car was bought in Scottsdale (2013) and spent the first 6 months there, then the rest of it's life has been garaged in the East Bay (not a whole lot cooler!). I do drive back and forth between the two locations. I guess the battery does see more heat than the average.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 6:28 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I used the car yesterday and this morning, it started ok. I just plugged in a battery charger, it shot to 6amps, then quickly dropped (in 5 mins) to about 2.5 amps. It's now sitting at a steady 2 amps after about an hour. No idea what 'normal' is ... I plan to put in a new battery today and will try to get up the enthusiasm to repeat this test ...

I'm really not that concerned about the cost, but I'm really pissed off about how incredibly sudden this is. Luckily for me, both times recently has been when sitting either at home or in a decent parking lot, but it could just as easily have happened when I'm having dinner in Oakland or at some remote hiking trail head ... really sucks!

This car was bought in Scottsdale and spent the first 6 months there, then the rest of it's life has been garaged in the East Bay (not a whole lot cooler!). I do drive back and forth between the two locations. I guess the battery does see more heat than the average.
How old is the car/battery? It's pretty normal for a battery to go between about 4 and 6 years old (I actually got almost 7 out of the one in my old car). EDIT - just saw your edit, 2 years seems awful quick ...

They do just go without warning, that's just how they are. One day you'll park your car after a normal start, then go to start it up again and that's it. A portable charger will at least get you enough charge to get home or get to Auto Zone to buy a new one though.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

My Mustang battery died without warning at the store. Warm all year round so the cold didn't affect it, no sluggish starting, no hint it was on the way out. Popped into the supermarket for 5 minutes one day, came out and the car was completely dead. Couldn't believe it.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
How old is the car/battery? It's pretty normal for a battery to go between about 4 and 6 years old (I actually got almost 7 out of the one in my old car). EDIT - just saw your edit, 2 years seems awful quick ...

They do just go without warning, that's just how they are. One day you'll park your car after a normal start, then go to start it up again and that's it. A portable charger will at least get you enough charge to get home or get to Auto Zone to buy a new one though.
My Mustang battery died without warning at the store. Warm all year round so the cold didn't affect it, no sluggish starting, no hint it was on the way out. Popped into the supermarket for 5 minutes one day, came out and the car was completely dead. Couldn't believe it.
The plot thickens ....

Just took it to the Honda stealership. They tested the battery and said it tested fine. They left the lights on for 10 minutes and tested again; still good. Then several of the 'technicians' had a chat, and they said there is a known software bug in the 'onboard computer' that is causing this. They said the fix was free but I'd have to leave it there for 4 hours. I said OK, and then decided to also buy a new battery anyway - since I'm at 2.5 years, 55k miles and have been in a rather hot environment, it probably doesn't have more than a year to go so may as well get it over with. So that's the story so far ... waiting for the 'its ready' call.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 12:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Justin Wilson taken to hospital after accident at Pocono Raceway

He's a Brit too.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes he was. Let's hope he doesn't go the same way as Dan Wheldon, although at the moment, it doesn't sound good. Extremely unlucky to have been struck by debris which appears to have knocked him out.

Old Aug 24th 2015, 10:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he was. Let's hope he doesn't go the same way as Dan Wheldon, although at the moment, it doesn't sound good. Extremely unlucky to have been struck by debris which appears to have knocked him out. .....
A scary random accident. No details, but I fear the worst.

He has been described as "unresponsive", the reports referring only to a head injury, but given the nature of the accident I would expect that he may also have broken his neck.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 1:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A scary random accident. No details, but I fear the worst. ......
Mostly I like to be right, but not this time.

Justin Wilson, dead after accident at Pocono.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 1:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just read he passed away, that's to bad
Old Aug 25th 2015, 6:30 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Just read he passed away, that's to bad
I heard some knee-jerk knob-end on the radio this morning suggesting that this should see "and end to open-cockpit racers."

While this is undoubtedly a tragic accident, and every sympathy is with the Wilson family, that reaction is just silly. Motorsport is dangerous. Open-cockpit racers of many different formulas do occasionally end up upside-down - I'd think there is far more risk of any kind of roof of canopy trapping a driver in a crashed car, than there is of a stray piece of debris hitting somebody in the head.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I heard some knee-jerk knob-end on the radio this morning suggesting that this should see "and end to open-cockpit racers." .....
It was briefly discussed after the accident that killed Ayrton Senna.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 6:52 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

It was briefly discussed after the accident that killed Ayrton Senna.
And after Felipe Massa's spring-in-head incident at the Hungarian GP in 2009.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 6:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I heard some knee-jerk knob-end on the radio this morning suggesting that this should see "and end to open-cockpit racers."
That's a ridiculous response. They need only look at F1, where fatailities were an annual occurrence between 1952 and 1978 (with the exeption of 1976, when Niki Lauda got very lucky at the Nurburgring), but due to changes in the formula, were much less infrequent during the 80s and 90s, to virtually eliminated after Senna until Bianchi's accident last year - a gap of 20 years.

The fact that the US open wheel series saw more deaths between 1980 and 2015 than F1 just suggests that they need to review safety in those races (perhaps more road courses and fewer ovals), rather than eliminating open-cockpit racing altogether, IMO.

There were more fatalities in NASCAR between 1980 and 2015 than in Indy/F1 combined ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.