Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jul 18th 2015, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

They are electric motors so they are all torque! I played with one a while back and this thing accelerated from about 50 to 90 in the blink of an eye. It's insanely fast! Still wouldn't get one though. It sounds like a bloody milk float, and I'm sorry, but sound is important to me in a car.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 2:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
They are electric motors so they are all torque! I played with one a while back and this thing accelerated from about 50 to 90 in the blink of an eye. It's insanely fast! Still wouldn't get one though. It sounds like a bloody milk float, and I'm sorry, but sound is important to me in a car.
Think they had to add a fake engine noise in Switzerland, after someone got hit by one crossing the road as they didn't hear it...
Old Jul 18th 2015, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Think they had to add a fake engine noise in Switzerland, after someone got hit by one crossing the road as they didn't hear it...
And now gas engines are getting engine sounds piped in through the speakers.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 5:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
[The Tesla is] insanely fast! Still wouldn't get one though. It sounds like a bloody milk float, and I'm sorry, but sound is important to me in a car.
I think of the Tesla like I think of our induction stove: it's a great piece of technology, and very efficient, but I wouldn't be seen dead driving one.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Any of you watched the UK TV series "Wheeler Dealer" . About a guy who buys used cars and then has it fixed up a little bit to resell. The guy is entertaining and likeable but he haggles the price down too much. I could never do that, which is probably why I am not in the wheeling and dealing business.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...wheeler+dealer
Old Jul 18th 2015, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think of the Tesla like I think of our induction stove: it's a great piece of technology, and very efficient, but I wouldn't be seen dead driving one.
Yup. A real stove is gas fired ; and none of that pretentious Aga whatchamacallit either. My dream stove is a Wolf rangetop with griddle and grill.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 6:27 pm
Banned

ellio is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you obviously haven't tried a Miele.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Yup. A real stove is gas fired ; and none of that pretentious Aga whatchamacallit either. My dream stove is a Wolf rangetop with griddle and grill.
Originally Posted by ellio
Well you obviously haven't tried a Miele.
I think you two misunderstood. We have an induction stove and would not swap it for anything. It can do anything a gas stove can do but with all the convenience and ease of cleaning of an electric stove, ..... but like I said, you are about as likely to see me driving a Tesla as you are our induction stove.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:20 pm
Banned

ellio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you two misunderstood. We have an induction stove and would not swap it for anything. It can do anything a gas stove can do but with all the convenience and ease of cleaning of an electric stove, ..... but like I said, you are about as likely to see me driving a Tesla as you are our induction stove.
can it really raise and drop the temperature like gas?
Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by ellio
can it really raise and drop the temperature like gas?
Absolutely, it's like turning off a light switch. If you turn off a pan that is about to boil over there is even no need to lift the pan up, just turning off the power immediately and totally stops additional heat being supplied to the pan. As significant, I find, is that if the pan has boiled over you can lift the pan and wipe the glass surface with a damp cloth without turning of the power! ..... In fact the only reason the glass surface is hot is because it has had a hot pan sitting on it.

And because an induction stoves makes the pan hot directly, rather than making a lot of heat and then transferring it to the pan, cooking is a lot more pleasant in the summer because there is nowhere near as much heat bypassing the pan and making the kitchen hot.

Induction stoves are awesome!
Old Jul 18th 2015, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Induction stoves are awesome!
So why haven't restaurants / eateries switched to induction stoves then?
Old Jul 18th 2015, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Price (capital equipment cost and fuel) and durability.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 10:06 pm

Some of them have - restaurants that cook "out front" as part of a buffet or similar, commonly use induction cooking surfaces, and have for a number of year IME, though I hadn't recognized what they were until a couple of years ago, when we bought ours.

I also suspect that they might have difficulty in pulling enough electricity (amperage) to run a fair-sized commercial kitchen, whereas gas for a kitchen just requires a big enough pipe.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 18th 2015 at 10:09 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 2:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's talk about cars-2015-07-11-13.23.13.jpg

And now it is parked in the garage.

I have to say it was weird not leaning going round corners. It is very cool, lots of power but very smooth.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Price (capital equipment cost and fuel) and durability.
I don't see any of the big name commerical stove mfgs. (Garland, Vulcan, American Range, Southbend etc.) switching over to induction cooktops. While eateries that already bought gas stoves might not want to spend money on replacing their equipment, new eateries don't have that issue.

If it is made for commercial end users then I assume the Mfgs. would make it durable ??

I suspect this is another case of old school tech like top loading agitator washers & gas ranges being better than newer tech like front loaders & induction ranges

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.