Old Jan 31st 2018, 3:49 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Karma

Originally Posted by Pulaski
When I ask for chicken livers at our local cafeteria I invariably get a huge serving, though we usually go in shortly before closing time, so I assume they want to get rid of everything they have already cooked and can't keep until the next day.
Oh my, this talk of 'cafeterias' reminds me of our family's days living in TX. When young, my kids used to adore eating at cafeteria style restaurants. The variety of selections was awesome! My son could always get his very favourite American pudding--Jello (not jelly!) And my daughter, who was becoming vegetarian at an early age, could find enough non-meat side dishes to satisfy her. DH & I enjoyed the reasonable prices too....

Sadly I haven't eaten at any cafeteria since we left TX--I'm not sure that style of eatery exists here in New England....
Old Jan 31st 2018, 3:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Oh my, this talk of 'cafeterias' reminds me of our family's days living in TX. When young, my kids used to adore eating at cafeteria style restaurants. The variety of selections was awesome! My son could always get his very favourite American pudding--Jello (not jelly!) And my daughter, who was becoming vegetarian at an early age, could find enough non-meat side dishes to satisfy her. DH & I enjoyed the reasonable prices too....

Sadly I haven't eaten at any cafeteria since we left TX--I'm not sure that style of eatery exists here in New England....
I thought they were all over the country, but maybe not. They certainly are all over my neck of the woods though, though they tend to be called 'family restaurants' round here. Mostly they're a bit cheap and cheerful but I personally love them. Anywhere you can get biscuits and gravy all day long is a good place in my book. Plus, their burgers are almost always great.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:13 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I thought they were all over the country, but maybe not. They certainly are all over my neck of the woods though, though they tend to be called 'family restaurants' round here. Mostly they're a bit cheap and cheerful but I personally love them. Anywhere you can get biscuits and gravy all day long is a good place in my book. Plus, their burgers are almost always great.
I don't see many here. Perhaps Boston Market Restaurants come closest, but those have been closing at an alarming rate in this part of the country. And even BM doesn't offer the large selection of choices (both mains & side dishes) that I remember from those cafeteria-style restaurants in TX.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:21 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see many here. Perhaps Boston Market Restaurants come closest, but those have been closing at an alarming rate in this part of the country. And even BM doesn't offer the large selection of choices (both mains & side dishes) that I remember from those cafeteria-style restaurants in TX.
I don't think it really counts unless it looks like the kind of place you might see Gordon Ramsey calling someone a donkey in.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I stuck with the chicken livers.

Both the bacon and the gravy are different from what you're used to.

You had a lucky dog!
Hey we all have our preferences. You are free to have my chicken livers as well. Where shall I send them?

I know the bacon is different but if the gravy is bisto <sp> then yes, it is different and I prefer my homemade gravy. I bought bisto and tried it and it was crap. Still prefer just onions with my liver as does my husband and as did my Dad.

Yup the dog loved it.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

By cafeteria do you mean buffet style restaurants? I've yet to try one, there is Golden Corral down the street, other than for Chinese.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
By cafeteria do you mean buffet style restaurants? I've yet to try one, there is Golden Corral down the street, other than for Chinese.
A cafeteria has a service line - you slide your tray along a set of rails but there are serving staff behind a glass-screened counter who put food on your plates, then pass them over the screen to you.

Golden Corral is different.

The one I referred to above looks like this:
Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:55 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 31st 2018, 9:59 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Rete
A cafeteria has a service line - you slide your tray along a set of rails but there are serving staff behind a glass-screened counter who put food on your plates, then pass them over the screen to you.

Golden Corral is different.

The one I referred to above looks like this:
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/G...29570_0465.jpg
Yes, just like Pulaski said. A true cafeteria style restaurant isn't a buffet, where you usually serve yourself for a set price....

At a cafeteria, you get to see your choices and ask for each to be served to you (even ask for a bit more if the initial spoonful isn't enough), then you pay. I really miss them--great for families with picky eaters!
Old Feb 1st 2018, 12:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, just like Pulaski said. A true cafeteria style restaurant isn't a buffet, where you usually serve yourself for a set price....

At a cafeteria, you get to see your choices and ask for each to be served to you (even ask for a bit more if the initial spoonful isn't enough), then you pay. I really miss them--great for families with picky eaters!
Luby's was our go to when we were without a kitchen. The choice is always good, healthy or not so healthy! And the desserts are great!

Now I know why I have gained so much weight in the last few months.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 12:55 am
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Luby's was our go to when we were without a kitchen. The choice is always good, healthy or not so healthy! And the desserts are great!

Now I know why I have gained so much weight in the last few months.
Yes, Luby's was one we enjoyed!

I just looked up their locations on the Luby's website. One in Mississippi, one in Oklahoma, and about a hundred in Texas! Guess I won't find one in my part of the northeast....
Old Feb 1st 2018, 1:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Luby's was one we enjoyed!

I just looked up their locations on the Luby's website. One in Mississippi, one in Oklahoma, and about a hundred in Texas! Guess I won't find one in my part of the northeast....
Did you ever go to a Wyatts? Our local one closed years ago but I do remember they had the best roast beef with all the "fixin's"!!
Old Feb 1st 2018, 2:57 am
Concierge

Never have seen a commercial restaurant such as this. I've seen it in hospitals and office buildings which have a cafeteria for employees and of course, in schools.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 1st 2018 at 3:59 am.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 3:42 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
You are probably right there. Maybe I should have said flan rather than quiche.

Shepherd's and Cottage pies are indeed worthy of full-on pie status.

On the kidney front, I am right alongside Nutek. Approach them cautiously, keep calm and get them in the waste bin at the earliest opportunity. Keep a spade or shovel within reach at all times.

Liver... is simply not to be found here. Cannot remember the last time I had it. My mum also used to make liver, onions and mash as mentioned by SultanOfSwing. Ok, he said spuds not mash, but you get the picture. But he forgot to mention bacon...
No Mexican or "international" shops up by you? Plenty of liver round here.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 4:01 am
Concierge

Never saw liver on the menu in any of the Mexican restaurants I've been to. However, every diner in the States of New York and New Jersey have liver and onion and/or bacon on their menus. Heck, even the Irish "Country Cottage" has it listed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.