Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Just got blasted by more anti O hate mail

Just got blasted by more anti O hate mail

Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:09 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just got blasted by more anti O hate mail

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Meaningful - less likely to start an unnecessary war like the one Bush started in Iraq; more likely to push for changes in healthcare.

Those two items alone will make a difference.

You seem to focus on the purity of the process, their motivations, etc. You seem to get pissed off if, on the path to healthcare reform, some Democrat gets a donation from an insurance company or whatever. I don't care how 'dirty' the process is, as long as some change comes out of the other end. To be sure, I'd prefer it if everything were 100% above board, but - if they have to grease palms and line pockets along the way, so be it - as long as they get there.
One of the candidates in the primary for GA Gov this year is the current Ins. Comm for the state. He is one of those who's gotten numerous donations from insurance companies. It doesn't matter to me if he's a Rep or a Dem, it still stinks.........
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:59 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
You seem to focus on the purity of the process, their motivations, etc. You seem to get pissed off if, on the path to healthcare reform, some Democrat gets a donation from an insurance company or whatever. I don't care how 'dirty' the process is, as long as some change comes out of the other end. To be sure, I'd prefer it if everything were 100% above board, but - if they have to grease palms and line pockets along the way, so be it - as long as they get there.
You seem to think that the ends justify the means.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, I simply don't agree with 'they're all the same' - the net results are very different.
But they're not different. It's always the same shit, just in a different sandwich. Russia is the archetypical example.

Originally Posted by cindyabs
One of the candidates in the primary for GA Gov this year is the current Ins. Comm for the state. He is one of those who's gotten numerous donations from insurance companies. It doesn't matter to me if he's a Rep or a Dem, it still stinks.........
Precisely.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse

But they're not different. It's always the same shit, just in a different sandwich. Russia is the archetypical example.
Big business gets to pull the strings to a great extent (as our friend emancioateddullard reminds us), but as I said I don't agree there is no change whatever party is in power.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
You seem to think that the ends justify the means.

If one Shit Sandwich lands us in a war in Iraq, with 4,000 US troops dead so far (let's not even count the number of civilians - that number would be staggering and too depressing to contemplate), while another Shit Sandwich gets us healthcare reform, with some constraints on the evil insurance companies, then they ARE different. They both taste like shit ... both give you indigestion ... but the outcomes are different.

Both parties engage in practices I don't approve of; but I have no desire to get in there and do it myself, so I will judge them not by their methods but by their results. If that means 'the ends justify the means' then so be it.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 12:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
Zero taxes though...what a concept...lets go back to dirt roads and such..

Honestly..I dont think I pay a lot of taxes, certainly not income taxes if you have kids and a mortgage...

Sure I know, sales tax, DMV fees etc...

If they think we pay too much in taxes, they should move to the UK or Europe...am I right?

I could be alone in thinking this...
Try being single, no mortgage and no kids talk about income tax. Funny enough I pay more in taxes in the US then I did in so called high tax Canada as many Americans I know have called Canada.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
The Obama administration is spending (borrowing) hand over fist and is running up the deficit to a degree which has never before been countenanced. Is this deliberate? Cloward-Piven? Who knows? Occam's Razor says it's just ineptitude.
I think your brain is being fried by listening to Limbaugh, Beck, and FOX news too much.

Bush turned a $260 billion surplus into an annual deficit of $500 billion. On top of that he handed Obama a deep recession that caused tax receipts to decline by 28% (about $600 billion per year). So Obama started his term with a $1.1 trillion deficit before he even considered how to bring the economy out of the abys.

Obama passed a $787 billion stimulus plan that was spread primarily over three years. $288 billion were tax cuts, $300 billion was sent to the states to help them through the crisis, and the remaining $200 billion was for infrastructure projects. On top of that bills were passed to extend unemployment benefits. Obamas spending of about $400 billion a year for 3 years is temporary but Bushes spending is permanent.

So in reality, Obama will increase the national debt by about $1.2 trillion in increased spending over three years to try to stop the economic slide as compared to Bush who increased the national debt by about $4.5 trillion over 8 years to fund wars, $1.2 trillion in medicare reform, and about $250 billion per year in tax cuts.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 20th 2010 at 1:24 am.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I think your brain is being fried by listening to Limbaugh, Beck, and FOX news too much.

Bush turned a $260 billion surplus into an annual deficit of $500 billion. On top of that he handed Obama a deep recession that caused tax receipts to decline by 28% (about $600 billion per year). So Obama started his term with a $1.1 trillion deficit before he even considered how to bring the economy out of the abys.

Obama passed a $787 billion stimulus plan that was spread primarily over three years. $288 billion were tax cuts, $300 billion was sent to the states to help them through the crisis, and the remaining $200 billion was for infrastructure projects. On top of that bills were passed to extend unemployment benefits. Obamas spending of about $400 billion a year for 3 years is temporary but Bushes spending is permanent.

So in reality, Obama will increase the national debt by about $1.2 trillion in increased spending over three years to try to stop the economic slide as compared to Bush who increased the national debt by about $4.5 trillion over 8 years to fund wars, $1.2 trillion in medicare reform, and about $250 billion per year in tax cuts.
Not forgetting what Bush borrowed from China and the interest added on top of that which he left Obama to pay. No wonder he was so glad to be out of office!