Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
It's been absolutely lovely here in the UK for the past couple of days......cloudless blue sunny skies entirely free of aircraft vapour trails and even more significant....no aircraft noise whatsoever.....only the twitter of birds and the gentle hum of road traffic in the distance. People who live near all the major UK airports and below all the reguar flight paths think they are in heaven.....as many such people said on BBC radio 4 this morning - walking in Richmond Park in south west London and living in places like Hounslow and Stansted and Crawley and even the Queen in Windsor Castle are enjoying the peace and quiet in the heavens....while it lasts....the latest bulletins quote 07:00hrs BST Sunday 18/04/10 as being the end of the Heavenly Silence....unless there's another Icelandic eruption in the near future and the UK and much of Continental Europe remain right below the ensuing volcanic ash flightpath.
As this is a polite forum, I shall not give a reply to that given the disruption caused by this.

However, should this disruption continue, those lovely walks in Richmond Park will soon be replaced with panic buying in the stores. Least anyone forgets, the UK is an island dependent on trade, and the carriage of goods here.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
As this is a polite forum, I shall not give a reply to that given the disruption caused by this.

However, should this disruption continue, those lovely walks in Richmond Park will soon be replaced with panic buying in the stores. Least anyone forgets, the UK is an island dependent on trade, and the carriage of goods here.
Lest.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:16 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

All ferries out of the UK are now not taking immediate bookings.
One thing I've leaned is that, when TSHTF, the key is to act quickly and just get out of the disaster area to anywhere - anywhere at all, then regroup.

DFDS will let me book Newcastle-Amsterdam on the 24th, which gives excellent access to the European rail network.

Pat's Pompey-Bilbao is a great idea (they just announced they were going to close that route!) but it'd mean telephone hell - unless Cindy can get access to their GDS (or whatever it's called).
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Im sitting tight for now because I have a couple weeks before I need to really start panic ing.

I also think the State Dept will do something with visas as at the end of the day, there are hundreds of thousands people affected by this.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

How to get to Madrid though...
I'd hope that by the end of the week, things have settled a little more. Get a mate to drive me to Dover (it's only 1/2 hour), ferry across, then TGV across France.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Im sitting tight for now because I have a couple weeks before I need to really start panic ing.

I also think the State Dept will do something with visas as at the end of the day, there are hundreds of thousands people affected by this.
Seems they have done before, try not to worry so much (I'd be a lot more worried if I were camping out in the US on the VWP and wasnt' going to get OUT in time).

My folks were due to fly back here from Spain on Sun the 18th but have just rebooked for the 23rd. Of *course* they're booked via LHR but they don't mind hanging out over there another week.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/8627221.stm

A Northamptonshire company that imports fresh fruit says business has ground to a halt because of the volcanic ash disruption to flights.

Blue Skies, one of the UK's biggest fresh fruit importers, supplies the major supermarkets from farmers in Africa and South America.

All the produce goes through Heathrow, but there has not been a delivery since 1130 BST on Thursday, it says fruit is rotting in the fields and warehouses in Brazil and AfricaChairman Anthony Pile told BBC News he was very concerned for the welfare of 3,000 employees overseas.
He said the factories were at a "total standstill"."No business can go on for very long without money coming in," he said.

I hope the people walking in Richmond Park think about that.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

It's quite interesting to see that with my economist/business hat on. These events are very rare and it appears that hardly anybody has any sort of contingency plan for them (myself included) but it's an easy way to kill your business if you don't.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

DH has now got a flight booked for Tuesday from LHR, if they are flying by then. At least he is staying with some family members just north of London which is better than a hotel. I'm just enjoying the quiet time and hope he's not eaten the Jelly Babies I asked him to bring back.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/8627221.stm

A Northamptonshire company that imports fresh fruit says business has ground to a halt because of the volcanic ash disruption to flights.

Blue Skies, one of the UK's biggest fresh fruit importers, supplies the major supermarkets from farmers in Africa and South America.

All the produce goes through Heathrow, but there has not been a delivery since 1130 BST on Thursday, it says fruit is rotting in the fields and warehouses in Brazil and AfricaChairman Anthony Pile told BBC News he was very concerned for the welfare of 3,000 employees overseas.
He said the factories were at a "total standstill"."No business can go on for very long without money coming in," he said.

I hope the people walking in Richmond Park think about that.
Unfortunately it could result in many job losses in businesses that depend on air freight...not to mention the already financially stretched airlines.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

On the news last night, UPS claims that its sorting facilities in Europe are getting full of packages since they have also not been able to fly out. I suspect they will shortly not accept any more packages for delivery.

I suspect that is also getting to be a problem in the US also for packages going to Europe.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

A private plane in the UK has just crashed. Not sure if its due to ash.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Now pushed back to 1 PM Sunday
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:14 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Just got the text from American. Our flight from Boston to LHR tomorrow is cancelled and they are unable to rebook us before April 30.

Jumping in the car now to drive south in search of some sea and sun.

Good luck to the rest of you guys.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
Just got the text from American. Our flight from Boston to LHR tomorrow is cancelled and they are unable to rebook us before April 30.

Jumping in the car now to drive south in search of some sea and sun.

Good luck to the rest of you guys.
I'm sorry to hear that SnO...I was hoping you'd get out tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.