Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How Americans are viewed abroad...

How Americans are viewed abroad...

Old May 31st 2007, 5:11 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: How Americans are viewed abroad...

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Yeah, but they like their money.
I have a non-French speaking friend who asks for the bill when he's over there, twice. If they blatantly ignore him, he gets up and makes to walk out. They quickly get their English speaking abilities back.
Old May 31st 2007, 5:13 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Gotta give it a go though...sure some might take the piss, but a large part does depend on where you go and how you act, if your not a loud mouthed git, you'll probably be treated with a bit more respect, it's just like most Brits on holiday, if they drink and are yobbish, they'll be treated with more contempt than those who don't.

It's on my LOTTDBID. (List Of Things To Do Before I Die) See England, spend a winter in a cabin in Alaska, Travel to the base of Mount Everest to point and laugh at the idiots risking their lives to climb that big rock and finally, finish renovating the downstairs kitchen.

Although if I don't do that last item fairly quickly, I might have the rush the rest of the list...

Last edited by another bloody yank; May 31st 2007 at 5:27 am.
Old May 31st 2007, 5:19 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I have a non-French speaking friend who asks for the bill when he's over there, twice. If they blatantly ignore him, he gets up and makes to walk out. They quickly get their English speaking abilities back.
I used to find Parisians pretty off-hand, not to say rude. However, on my two most recent visits I found them to be remarkably friendly and helpful. So much so that my pitiful attempts at speaking French were almost invariably met with replies in English.
Old May 31st 2007, 5:22 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Same thing happened to my Mom when she was doing the Census year ago, along the border between Vermont and Quebec. She did not speak French at all and had some hard slogging here and there. However, the minute she uttered the words US Goverment miraculously people understood her.
Old May 31st 2007, 6:30 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
It's on my LOTTDBID. (List Of Things To Do Before I Die) See England, spend a winter in a cabin in Alaska, Travel to the base of Mount Everest to point and laugh at the idiots risking their lives to climb that big rock and finally, finish renovating the downstairs kitchen.

Although if I don't do that last item fairly quickly, I might have the rush the rest of the list...
Oh, you can't just see the UK! Europe is so diverse, you have to see more of it.
Old May 31st 2007, 6:49 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, you can't just see the UK! Europe is so diverse, you have to see more of it.
How much vacation do you think I get? I'm going to have to do it in a long weekend!
Old May 31st 2007, 7:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
How much vacation do you think I get? I'm going to have to do it in a long weekend!
Well, resign yourself to being on a coach trip when you're old and gray then
Old May 31st 2007, 7:15 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

You can go to Old Navy and buy t-shirts with various holiday destinations on them.... for those who can't or won't travel! Why would one buy a shirt that says "VERMONT" on it if one has never set foot in the state?!?!? Or "London Rules!"

I despise Old Navy. I call it Cold Gravy and try to get my ex to take the eldest there for her gotta-have-it clobber.
Old May 31st 2007, 7:46 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
....Why would one buy a shirt that says "VERMONT" on it if one has never set foot in the state?!?!? Or "London Rules!".........
YOu forgot "MIND THE GAP"...
Old May 31st 2007, 7:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You can go to Old Navy and buy t-shirts with various holiday destinations on them.... for those who can't or won't travel! Why would one buy a shirt that says "VERMONT" on it if one has never set foot in the state?!?!? Or "London Rules!"

I despise Old Navy. I call it Cold Gravy and try to get my ex to take the eldest there for her gotta-have-it clobber.
I rather liked the t-shirt they had of welcome to Vienna, which had the German flag on it myself
Old May 31st 2007, 7:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
YOu forgot "MIND THE GAP"...
speaking of, F.C.U.K has been pumping out the stores, with those great slogans on them...I liked the one that was F-C-U-K IT
Old May 31st 2007, 8:02 am
Account Closed

I love the Benetton stuff myself. Do we even get it here?
Old May 31st 2007, 8:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

I love the Benetton stuff myself. Do we even get it here?
benetton still in business?
Old May 31st 2007, 9:33 am
Account Closed

Yes! Unfortunately, can only get it down here if you're posh and live in the posh part of the state

This one's for Britvic :

http://www.benetton.com/html/en/man/main/index.shtml

Last edited by TouristTrap; May 31st 2007 at 9:36 am.
Old May 31st 2007, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! Unfortunately, can only get it down here if you're posh and live in the posh part of the state

This one's for Britvic :

http://www.benetton.com/html/en/man/main/index.shtml
This is to do with my karma comment ain't it What a lovely face that Male Model has

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.