British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   How Americans are viewed abroad... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/how-americans-viewed-abroad-454457/)

Tarkak9 May 30th 2007 6:49 am

How Americans are viewed abroad...

How Americans travelers are viewed abroad: The UK

http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article...8354&GT1=10040

Some interesting observations...

“When I think of American tourists, I think of people in front of the British Museum, yelling across large spaces to each other about how to use their digital cameras,” says Ian Hamilton, a university student in Glasgow. Is Ian Hamilton a BE member par chance?!!? Anyone know?... sign him up!!

“Or complaining loudly in McDonald’s about how the chips taste in London versus how they taste in America.” (When in Rome....)

... a group of Americans, who were perceived as camera-wielding, Bush-supporting boors. “Universally idiotic; large Hawaiian shirts; large cameras; stupid questions,” ...suchas "Where's the University at?" referring to Oxford Uni

a new MSN-Zogby poll shows that the vast majority of Americans (89 percent) believe that those in other countries view Americans based on their perception of the United States in general. Is this really a revelation?

Bob May 30th 2007 7:03 am

Re: How Americans are viewed abroad...

an amusing read :)

do wonder what stereotypes people have for regions, and how close those stereotypes are for say the south, mid west, new england, west coast....texas gets its own :D

cindyabs May 30th 2007 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 4852739)

“When I think of American tourists, I think of people in front of the British Museum, yelling across large spaces to each other about how to use their digital cameras,” says Ian Hamilton, a university student in Glasgow. Is Ian Hamilton a BE member par chance?!!? Anyone know?... sign him up!!

“Or complaining loudly in McDonald’s about how the chips taste in London versus how they taste in America.” (When in Rome....)

... a group of Americans, who were perceived as camera-wielding, Bush-supporting boors. “Universally idiotic; large Hawaiian shirts; large cameras; stupid questions,” ...suchas "Where's the University at?" referring to Oxford Uni

a new MSN-Zogby poll shows that the vast majority of Americans (89 percent) believe that those in other countries view Americans based on their perception of the United States in general. Is this really a revelation?

not if you read BE :rolleyes:

Zoot May 30th 2007 9:05 am

Does anybody remember that show Tourist Trap that was on some years ago?

There was a staged competition for a free holiday to a remote resort in Greece (if I remember correctly). An ad was run in four countries: The US, UK, Germany and Japan.

Each group of "tourists" included an actor (maybe two) and various gags (the same gags for each country's week) were played to see what the reaction would be from each group. The gags included the "actor" showering nude beside the pool, a boat ride in which the boat breaks down, a theme dinner in which an entire goat's head is served on a plate, the "actor" stealing drinks from behind the bar when the bartender walks away, etc. etc.

It made for some entertaining viewing.

TouristTrap May 30th 2007 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Zoot (Post 4853131)

There was a staged competition for a free holiday to a remote resort in Greece (if I remember correctly). An ad was run in four countries: The US, UK, Germany and Japan.

Each group of "tourists" included an actor (maybe two) and various gags (the same gags for each country's week) were played to see what the reaction would be from each group. The gags included the "actor" showering nude beside the pool, a boat ride in which the boat breaks down, a theme dinner in which an entire goat's head is served on a plate, the "actor" stealing drinks from behind the bar when the bartender walks away, etc. etc.

It made for some entertaining viewing.

Oh, I want to watch that! :D So tell us what the reactions were.

Bob May 30th 2007 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Zoot (Post 4853131)

I vaguely remember that :lol:

leonatlanta May 30th 2007 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 4852739)

i'm now an american citizen , but british, so i wonder how i'll be viewed abroad?

britvic May 30th 2007 10:26 am

Originally Posted by leonatlanta (Post 4853407)
i'm now an american citizen , but british, so i wonder how i'll be viewed abroad?

Depends on whether you have lost your Brit accent.

southern comfort May 30th 2007 10:38 am

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 4853411)
Depends on weather you have lost your Brit accent.

whether.......:eek:

britvic May 30th 2007 10:41 am

Originally Posted by southern comfort (Post 4853444)
whether.......:eek:

Sorry miss :rolleyes:

southern comfort May 30th 2007 10:49 am

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 4853451)
Sorry miss :rolleyes:

its ok I knew how to spell it :rofl:

Elvira May 30th 2007 10:50 am

Originally Posted by southern comfort (Post 4853463)
its ok I knew how to spell it :rofl:

Pity no one taught you about apostrophes............. and other stuff...

southern comfort May 30th 2007 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4853466)

yes ma'am but I do know how to spell:rofl:

Pony May 30th 2007 10:51 am

My favorite quote when asked how Americans are viewed abroad goes:

"Down the barrel of a very long gun"

southern comfort May 30th 2007 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4853466)

You must be a very unhappy person elvira......condolences:thumbup: