Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How Americans are viewed abroad...

How Americans are viewed abroad...

Old May 31st 2007, 4:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Americans are viewed abroad...

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
It saddens me to know that if I ever make it over, people will have this prejudice about me due to the actions of the louder and more obnoxious of my Yank brethren. It's not like I had plans made or tickets bought in any case, it just puts kind of a shadow on the idle thoughts of what it would be like to visit such a place when you know that as soon as you open your mouth, the locals will think you're an idiot. Or worse.
Gotta give it a go though...sure some might take the piss, but a large part does depend on where you go and how you act, if your not a loud mouthed git, you'll probably be treated with a bit more respect, it's just like most Brits on holiday, if they drink and are yobbish, they'll be treated with more contempt than those who don't.
Old May 31st 2007, 4:36 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
We'll have him fitting in before you know it. You're a tough nut to crack, but he's making progress
I know, what can I say?? I am an older and tougher nut.
Old May 31st 2007, 4:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Now when it comes to the media over there, you have to realize that they're vicious and don't normally give their governments an inch. Ever seen a program called, 'Spitting Image'? Don't think similar could ever be shown here

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZrAfEqSMTDE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KBNsp0_ss...elated&search=
I loved that show...shame I was to young to really get all of it though
Old May 31st 2007, 4:37 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm sure there is a fair amount of prejudice on the part of some Europeans, but how you are going to be treated will also depend to a large extent n what comes out of your mouth
Hopefully it's not dinner, after an evening at the pub.

Originally Posted by Elvira
Oh, and leave the khaki shorts and Hawaiian shirts at home
Hell, thats all I wear. I've got a bunch of khaki Dockers for work. When a pair wears out, I cut 'em off into shorts. I only have one Hawaiian shirt, and I can't remember for the life of me where or why I got it. It's not really my style. I'm more into plaid.

I haven't owned a pair of "tennis" shoes since I was in high school though!
Old May 31st 2007, 4:37 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with American tourist is the problem with any tourist group: the mass is invariably judged by the worst as the worst are typically the most visible. You'd never notice the quiet, thin, respectful American tourist becuase they don't stand out as much as the fat NASCAR fan trying to order a Hawaiian pizza in Naples.
Old May 31st 2007, 4:39 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I loved that show...shame I was to young to really get all of it though
I WAS old enough to watch it and understand it when I lived overseas.
Old May 31st 2007, 4:41 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The problem with American tourist is the problem with any tourist group: the mass is invariably judged by the worst as the worst are typically the most visible. You'd never notice the quiet, thin, respectful American tourist becuase they don't stand out as much as the fat NASCAR fan trying to order a Hawaiian pizza in Naples.

Shit. One step forward, two steps back.
Old May 31st 2007, 4:42 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: How Americans are viewed abroad...

Hopefully it's not dinner, after an evening at the pub.

Hell, thats all I wear. I've got a bunch of khaki Dockers for work.

ROFL you are so honest and funny!
Old May 31st 2007, 4:50 am
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Gotta give it a go though...sure some might take the piss, but a large part does depend on where you go and how you act, if your not a loud mouthed git, you'll probably be treated with a bit more respect, it's just like most Brits on holiday, if they drink and are yobbish, they'll be treated with more contempt than those who don't.
Why does Orlando ring a bell ?
Old May 31st 2007, 4:57 am
Unmitigated Gall

People don't judge you the moment you open your mouth over there,
I would have thought that that would be the moment you are judged, the moment it registers, "Shit, it's a Yank!". However, if you continue to speak without acting like an ass, and in your Library voice, then they might gradually warm up.

It is the coach-trips-types, who are mostly Noo Joisers and New Yawkers who give USC's a bad rap. Bit like the Brits in Spain who complain about the food, take their own bacon and eggs over in their suitcases and wonder why they can't get a decent curry everywhere like they do back home. THEY give the Brits a bad rap and ask anyone here, the type are disliked on the Continent for their attitudes. Basically the same thing.
I can understand that and I would likely feel the same. I can imagine hiding under a table if I were in a place and busload of Yanks like that came in. Treating a visit to a different country is not quite the same as a trip to the outlet mall in Branson, with a stopover for lunch at Lambert's Cafe in Sikeston, MO whose claim to fame is they throw your bread rolls at you from across the room.

Ordinary tourists don't get dissed on unless they're in France. In France, EVERYONE is dissed, no matter where you're from

Now when it comes to the media over there, you have to realize that they're vicious and don't normally give their governments an inch. Ever seen a program called, 'Spitting Image'? Don't think similar could ever be shown here

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZrAfEqSMTDE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KBNsp0_ss...elated&search=

I wish I could see those, it's blocked here and I'm on a blazing 26.4 dialup connection at home.
Old May 31st 2007, 5:01 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that that would be the moment you are judged, the moment it registers, "Shit, it's a Yank!". However, if you continue to speak without acting like an ass, and in your Library voice, then they might gradually warm up.
Nah -- if you just act like a decent human being, most of the time people will be fine. The French are the exception but they don't like any foreigners.

When you are abroad though it is hard to go to the touristy spots .... I myself want to avoid Americans as there are plenty where I live and when they make fools of themselves it makes me .
Old May 31st 2007, 5:02 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I can understand that and I would likely feel the same. I can imagine hiding under a table if I were in a place and busload of Yanks like that came in. Treating a visit to a different country is not quite the same as a trip to the outlet mall in Branson, with a stopover for lunch at Lambert's Cafe in Sikeston, MO whose claim to fame is they throw your bread rolls at you from across the room.

I wish I could see those, it's blocked here and I'm on a blazing 26.4 dialup connection at home.

Pity! I think once you watch an episode of Spitting Image, you'll 'get' it!
Old May 31st 2007, 5:06 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

"Everybody hates a tourist". If Jarvis said it, it must be true.
Old May 31st 2007, 5:08 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Nah -- if you just act like a decent human being, most of the time people will be fine. The French are the exception but they don't like any foreigners.

When you are abroad though it is hard to go to the touristy spots .... I myself want to avoid Americans as there are plenty where I live and when they make fools of themselves it makes me .
I found the French outside of Paris to be fine in the areas I visited over the course of some years.

As for assholes-whatever their nationality etc, etc and God knows they abound everywhere, I avoid 'em like the plague.
Old May 31st 2007, 5:09 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Chorlton
"Everybody hates a tourist". If Jarvis said it, it must be true.
Yeah, but they like their money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.