Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home - where is it for you?

Home - where is it for you?

Old Feb 1st 2022, 5:08 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home - where is it for you?

I guess it’s CT for me since it’s the longest I have lived anywhere. I had moved countries once, cities 5 times and house 6 times before I went to university. I moved 3 times at University, and then since UG graduation I moved countries another 3 times, cities 6 times and houses 10 times…

This thread reminds me of an article about a British expat who made a reference to holding England in his heart and that it would forever be home in his last will and testament and HMRC trying to use that to try and tax the estate…
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Kidderminster is home for me - the carpet factory town, and home of Sir Rowland Hill, the man who reformed the postal system in the UK and invented the stamp! Not the best of areas where I lived and grew up in, but almost all of my family still live there, or in the surrounding towns. So that's always hard to deal with sometimes. If I'm honest, if the wife and I were to live there some day, I'd choose to live in the town over, Bewdley. I liked going there and it's a beautiful, quaint place. I've only been in the USA since 2017, so not long at all. But it already feels so long and I do miss my family, friends, and hometown a lot lately, for some reason.

Old Feb 2nd 2022, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to decide where "home" is now. Born and brought up in the Scottish Borders, and still have some family there. Edinburgh, because of the same. A village in the Midlands, because I think we lived there the longest and still have really long time friends there. Not going back to the UK as there have been too many changes there, and not for the better. Three places in New England are not in the running, because I couldn't leave there fast enough. Just too cold for too long. Colorado was ok, but just not home, even though our son and family are there. California, I like it the best out of all of them, but just doesn't feel like home, and it's too expensive for when we retire. I'm just not sure where we will settle after retirement, maybe back to Colorado.
Old Feb 2nd 2022, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
It's hard to decide where "home" is now. Born and brought up in the Scottish Borders, and still have some family there. Edinburgh, because of the same. A village in the Midlands, because I think we lived there the longest and still have really long time friends there. Not going back to the UK as there have been too many changes there, and not for the better. Three places in New England are not in the running, because I couldn't leave there fast enough. Just too cold for too long. Colorado was ok, but just not home, even though our son and family are there. California, I like it the best out of all of them, but just doesn't feel like home, and it's too expensive for when we retire. I'm just not sure where we will settle after retirement, maybe back to Colorado.
When kids and grandkids come into the equation then it makes it harder to decide where "home" should be.