Maus

Old Jan 27th 2022, 9:30 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Maus

Have never actually read the Holocaust related graphic novel Maus, but it does seem odd that a Tennessee school district would ban it (for spurious reasons). I wonder if it's a generational thing, whereby those educators who came of age in this millenium simply do not appreciate the scale of the Holocaust. I learned about it in the late 70s (about 30 years after the fact) and perhaps it was that much more part of the zeitgeist back then. Also have been reading in the UK press that some British students are sympathetic to the Germans of the day, due to the movie Boy in the Striped Pajamas.
Old Jan 27th 2022, 11:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maus

My first thought when I read the story this morning - hang on, this book came out nearly thirty years ago. NOW you’ve decided to ban it? And I think you’re right, there’s a generational aspect in the way you describe. But further, these board members & administrators are probably so pig-ignorant, cut off from the wider world, and so full of themselves that they probably simply don’t know how highly regarded the book is around the world, and what a good reputation Spiegelman has in the field.
Old Jan 27th 2022, 11:51 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

One of the speakers/voters said that they dont object to the Holocaust being taught, (just 8 swear words - I wonder what they are, I don't remember; read it decades ago; and a picture of a naked mouse) .
Another objected to people being hung, and other unsavory things. I am not sure what the plan can be to teach the Holocaust and not include murder.
Edit - Found the quote from the meeting minutes:
"It shows people hanging, it shows them killing kids, why does the educational system promote this kind of stuff, it is not wise or healthy."

Last edited by kimilseung; Jan 27th 2022 at 11:58 pm. Reason: add quote
Old Jan 28th 2022, 12:07 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
UK press that some British students are sympathetic to the Germans of the day, due to the movie Boy in the Striped Pajamas.
Can you say more about that. From what you read, were people sympathetic to the killings, or sympathetic to the ignorance/turning a blind eye, or was it something else?
Old Jan 28th 2022, 6:27 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link on the Boy in the Striped Pajamas article. Hadn't seen the film, but now that they say there's some misinterpreted, I think I am inclined to do so.

​​​​https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...aust-fallacies
Old Jan 28th 2022, 12:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link on the Boy in the Striped Pajamas article. Hadn't seen the film, but now that they say there's some misinterpreted, I think I am inclined to do so.

​​​​https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...aust-fallacies
I must admit that until yesterday, I had not heard of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, the novel or the film. It sounds to me like it’s not unique, lots of novels & films have the “feel good” factor that can humanize ordinary Germans. Nothing wrong with that! It seems that the problem here is that it’s been introduced into the curriculum, and for many schoolchildren, apparently, it’s all they know about the Holocaust .. obviously not the novelist or filmmaker’s fault.

Anyone remember the film Europa Europa? It’s about a Jewish boy who was “adopted” in turn by German soldiers, and Russian soldiers. They were all shown to be decent human beings, just doing what they had to do. It’s well worth watching, really good film.

Old Jan 28th 2022, 12:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I find this to be a good article about the Maus banning. It’s from Kveller.

https://www.kveller.com/a-tennessee-...1-39571-321703

I resent that I have to say this at all, but here: As a parent of six kids, I can personally guarantee that eighth graders in Tennessee (or anywhere else where phones and computers exist) have seen much more graphic nudity than a sketch of a naked mouse. I also can personally guarantee that in an under-10-minute sweep through TikTok, these kids have been exposed to worse language than any “God damn” that you’d see printed in “Maus.”

So “language” and “nudity” isn’t really what any of this is about.
Across the U.S., people on school boards are making a concerted effort to purposefully exclude histories and perspectives from minority viewpoints. It’s not just in Tennessee — it’s everywhere. Whether it’s an accurate view of slavery from scholars like Nikole Hannah-Jones and the 1619 Project, or LGBTQ viewpoints like the nonfiction “This Book Is Gay,” or now “Maus,” it’s a deliberate targeting, and it is wrong. And today, on International Holocaust Remembrance Day, I’d think maybe it’s time to think about how book burning — whether literal or metaphorical — fans the flames of ignorance, hate, zealotry and authoritarianism.
Old Jan 28th 2022, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234

An excellent post, again!
Old Jan 28th 2022, 12:55 pm
Yo

The article makes a good point about kids having seen far more sex and violence on their phones or the internet. If that part of Tennessee has few jews it could be that the persons involved just have little empathy with the Holocaust, and the see this cartoon account of it as insubstantial (but the Pulitzer ought to give them pause!). Hopefully after the hubbub they will reverse their decision.

I saw Speiglman on CNN last night, and was amused that on the broadcasted video call not only was he vaping to the camera, but throwing a few snacks into his mouth.
Old Jan 28th 2022, 1:02 pm
Yo

I must admit that until yesterday, I had not heard of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, the novel or the film. It sounds to me like it’s not unique, lots of novels & films have the “feel good” factor that can humanize ordinary Germans. Nothing wrong with that! It seems that the problem here is that it’s been introduced into the curriculum, and for many schoolchildren, apparently, it’s all they know about the Holocaust .. obviously not the novelist or filmmaker’s fault.

Anyone remember the film Europa Europa? It’s about a Jewish boy who was “adopted” in turn by German soldiers, and Russian soldiers. They were all shown to be decent human beings, just doing what they had to do. It’s well worth watching, really good film.
I went to see Europa Europa in the cinema, and do you know, at the time they were also playing a film called Europa. By some mistake we ended up sitting through Europa and it wasn't until well past the half way point we realised we were in the wrong film. It annoys me to this day. I think I'll have to watch it sometime for the sake of completion.
Old Jan 28th 2022, 1:22 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I went to see Europa Europa in the cinema, and do you know, at the time they were also playing a film called Europa. By some mistake we ended up sitting through Europa and it wasn't until well past the half way point we realised we were in the wrong film. It annoys me to this day. I think I'll have to watch it sometime for the sake of completion.
That is funny! I looked up that other film, and it sounds quite good in its own right … !
Old Jan 28th 2022, 2:21 pm
Yo

That is funny! I looked up that other film, and it sounds quite good in its own right … !
It was ok, but not quite what I was expecting. For the first twenty minutes I thought it was a trailer for another film, so didn't pay attention, and then I was waiting for it to segue into the Europa Europa story.
Old Jan 28th 2022, 2:30 pm
He/him

Ta, for the link.
... can humanize ordinary Germans. Nothing wrong with that! It seems that the problem here is that it’s been introduced into the curriculum, and for many schoolchildren, apparently, it’s all they know about the Holocaust ...
Although humanizing isn't just not wrong, its required, if there is to be any point in telling tales of the Holocaust, if it is to be taught at all, with reason, it has to mould people from monsters. I am seeing for myself, within my extended family, how sympathy is given to the nascent monster, because, well, they are polite to their grandmother, and that leads to the denial of outcomes down the road, when Nazism is embraced. I think many others can see it in society too. We will only learn from the Holocaust, when we accept that those monsters, are potentially us, our friends, our neighbors.(Much easier lessons to take from the Holocaust when you are not Jewish like me)
I have seen the Boy with Stripped Pajamas, but it didn't leave any lasting mark on me, I have a few memories of it, but those memories are very incomplete. I do remember the family scenes of the Commandant who is brought in, the father of the boy who befriends the boy in pajamas. That to me was a strength of the film, showing life of the monster as a father, and husband, someone who can love.. But I had not considered, that I can see that humanity (as a part of the monster), because I already knew the monster. I had the scaffolding. This situation shows the complexity of communicating the Holocaust. There is no easy, quick, method. We need to see both the person and the monster. The Boy in Stripped Pajamas, can still have a place, but it does seem to need more context. The article linked by Shard states that the film is more likely to be chosen by English teachers than by History teachers. I wonder what those History teachers are doing while the English teachers are reading Pajamas? I know in my school, while the Holocaust is covered in history class, Night by Wiesel is read in English class. I am curious if something similar happens when Pajamas is read, does it have other scaffolding, or is it a one stop shop for all Holocaust needs?

Last edited by kimilseung; Jan 28th 2022 at 2:33 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2022, 4:33 pm
He/him

this tweet seems appropriate
"My 6th grade teacher assigned “Night” by Elie Wiesel. Some parents complained about “appropriateness.” Mrs. Gussky stared down the whole PTA. “The author was 12 when these things happened to him. Such things happen to 12-year-olds every day.”"
Old Jan 28th 2022, 8:26 pm
He/him

Given that the pajama book/film, has a character voluntarily go in to the camp, this short film from the BBC re-promoted today, about a man going in to Auschwitz, as a spy to learn, report, and organize, seems apropos.

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p0b71...d-in-auschwitz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.