Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jul 26th 2023, 10:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Thanks. Done just in time for company this weekend.
Perfect, and I can see why that would spur you to get help with the final step when you were so close to finished.
Old Jul 27th 2023, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

I did one post taking a great amount of time. Today the job was finished 8am to 3pm.

Looks amazing!
Old Jul 27th 2023, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jolly Good
Looks amazing!
Thanks. Maybe you and husband can stop by when passing this way on one of your trips. We could have a few brews and cookout. Same for any of my BE buds.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

They look nice. How have they held up over summer?
Old Aug 29th 2023, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
They look nice. How have they held up over summer?
The Polywood furniture being under roof should last for years. Even when outside if anything like vinyl siding it should be very durable. I have some on back porch and the gazebo, both under roof and I expect it to outlast me. It’s also very heavy and not easily blown over in storms.
Old Oct 10th 2023, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

When I built my house 7 years ago I did much of the work and to speed things up I put light weight, largely fiberglass, artificial stone on my porch posts called GenStone. It would be ideal for an accent wall but I wanted something better for porch. I bought some more stone like on the Gazebo and having it put up today. I spend several days removing the old stuff but wanted the new stone done quickly. They can do in one day what would take me weeks to do.

Old Oct 10th 2023, 4:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

When I built my house 7 years ago I did much of the work and to speed things up I put light weight, largely fiberglass, artificial stone on my porch posts called GenStone. It would be ideal for an accent wall but I wanted something better for porch. I bought some more stone like on the Gazebo and having it put up today. I spend several days removing the old stuff but wanted the new stone done quickly. They can do in one day what would take me weeks to do. ....
Looks nice, and it's great that it matches the gazebo pillars too.

I have several projects planned, but still need to put the finishing touches to the plinth that the AC sits on (maybe this weekend ), and I have been renewing my long term battle against waves of invasive "English" ivy and periwinkle.

The former can be removed physically with considerable success, but the periwinkle gets its roots into the ground (which us currently as hard as a rock as we have had negligible rain for two months ) and unfortunately has to be sprayed with Roundup (I generally prefer to avoid weedkiller whenever possible).

My experience is that it takes at least three "passes" to clear an area - the first to spray as much of it as possible while retreating, so as not to walking into the sprayed foliage. The second pass is to get the areas I missed, then the third and additional passes are to get the small bits of periwinkle that are trying to make a comeback.

All of this takes time.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 10th 2023 at 4:35 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2023, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Looks nice, and it's great that it matches the gazebo pillars too.

I have several projects planned, but still need to put the finishing touches to the plinth that the AC sits on (maybe this weekend ), and I have been renewing my long term battle against waves of invasive "English" ivy and periwinkle.

The former can be removed physically with considerable success, but the periwinkle gets its roots into the ground (which us currently as hard as a rock as we have had negligible rain for two months ) and unfortunately has to be sprayed with Roundup (I generally prefer to avoid weedkiller whenever possible).

My experience is that it takes at least three "passes" to clear an area - the first to spray as much of it as possible while retreating, so as not to walking into the sprayed foliage. The second pass is to get the areas I missed, then the third and additional passes are to get the small bits of periwinkle that are trying to make a comeback.

All of this takes time.
We have a lot of Cudzu in our area. None on my land yet but several areas its growing over everything including large trees. If there was a good use for it a lifetime supply would be no problem.
Old Oct 10th 2023, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Six hours start to finish. Did a good job. Applied a scratch coat to all four posts then a lot of mortar put on each piece.

Old Oct 10th 2023, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond reputeJolly Good has a reputation beyond repute

Six hours start to finish. Did a good job. Applied a scratch coat to all four posts then a lot of mortar put on each piece.
Looks really good!
Old Oct 11th 2023, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jolly Good
Looks really good!
Thanks. I was glad to get it done. I was never happy with the original GenStone I put on but it looked ok and held up well. The GenStone would be ideal for an indoor accent wall as it can be glued directly to Sheetrock and looks good.
Old Oct 18th 2023, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We are getting floor tiling done on our first floor, at long last. It has been delayed for months for various reasons. First choice of tile was slightly different colour to the sample that we liked, second choice was too expensive for the whole area, third choice, the sample for this lot should be here any day, but we liked the tile, but it was out of stock, so we have to approve that sample from that stock, get it delivered. The existing flooring, tile and carpet torn up, stuff put in storage, then paint the whole area. If it will be done before Thanksgiving, I will be surprised. I am getting even more gray hairs just thinking about it. The only good thing is that we can reduce the numbers of bottles of wine to go into storage.
Old Oct 18th 2023, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by joto
We are getting floor tiling done on our first floor, at long last. It has been delayed for months for various reasons. First choice of tile was slightly different colour to the sample that we liked, second choice was too expensive for the whole area, third choice, the sample for this lot should be here any day, but we liked the tile, but it was out of stock, so we have to approve that sample from that stock, get it delivered. The existing flooring, tile and carpet torn up, stuff put in storage, then paint the whole area. If it will be done before Thanksgiving, I will be surprised. I am getting even more gray hairs just thinking about it. The only good thing is that we can reduce the numbers of bottles of wine to go into storage.
Tile is the way to go for lifetime lasting floors. If it’s not going on concrete floors just make sure they use the correct underlayment. Over wood floors cement board glued and screwed down is the way to go. There is a good website which has helped me a lot in my remodel and building efforts called “diychatroom” It’s broken down into separate areas of construction. There is a large retail chain called Floors and More that seems to have good prices and selection of tile. I try to buy about 10% excess to make sure I have enough and for any future repairs.
Old Nov 2nd 2023, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Decided to built a sidewalk from porch to Gazebo that has a 6-8 feet offset and about 30 feet total length.This would normally require at least two finishers plus a concrete truck delivery and a lot of wood to frame up. Easily 2500-3500 dollar job. I am doing myself by pouring in four foot long sections using 5 bags of 80 lb concrete mix mixed in my wheel barrow with garden hoe. I can pour a section then if desired wait days or weeks to pour the next one. Short rebar stubs will insure the side walk stays level. I have done one pour at porch end and have the second pour ready for tomorrow at the gazebo end. Very little framing needed as it’s reusable. Total cost will be a fraction of a contracted job.

Old Nov 2nd 2023, 8:52 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Decided to built a sidewalk from porch to Gazebo that has a 6-8 feet offset and about 30 feet total length.This would normally require at least two finishers plus a concrete truck delivery and a lot of wood to frame up. Easily 2500-3500 dollar job. I am doing myself by pouring in four foot long sections using 5 bags of 80 lb concrete mix mixed in my wheel barrow with garden hoe. I can pour a section then if desired wait days or weeks to pour the next one. Short rebar stubs will insure the side walk stays level. I have done one pour at porch end and have the second pour ready for tomorrow at the gazebo end. Very little framing needed as it’s reusable. Total cost will be a fraction of a contracted job.
I have been toying around with dry-pour. Looks perfect for this sort of project. Plenty of YouTube vids but I can’t post links from this device.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.