Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Hi! Moving to the USA, How to make it easier on husband?

Hi! Moving to the USA, How to make it easier on husband?

Old Oct 14th 2015, 6:14 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi! Moving to the USA, How to make it easier on husband?

Originally Posted by Boiler
HP sauce
Available, at a premium price, in Wegman's, but a sausage butty isn't complete without it, even though it is now made in Holland.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

agm1287 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wildraven
Hi all. I'm new here, and as an American, I moved to the UK to be with my British husband over 4 years ago. I remember the adjustment being hard in the first 2 years (I missed so many things about the US), but eventually came to really like it here and now it feels like home.

Now my husband and I are planning to move back to the US, to be closer to my family, as soon as we can get him a visa. Up-rooting again is going to be hard, but is there anything I can do to make the transition easier (especially for him)?

If you moved away from the UK, what did you really miss in the first year and what would you have done differently so that you wouldn't be home sick?

Thanks
Well you know as you did the move but the other way, just be patient with him. I moved from the UK and to this day i still miss it. Biggest issue i had really was friends... my job was such that i either worked remotely or traveled. I lost out on the co-worker/office environment where you made friends... it is not friends or mutual friends but friends of his own.. TV in terms of football is a lot better than it was when i first moved... if he likes a beer make sure you get him some imported beer... Without knowing either of you it is hard to recommend anything specific... patience though is the big one... once the novelty has worn off, sometimes reality can be hard hitting... over time he will be fine.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 7:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agm1287
...... if he likes a beer make sure you get him some imported beer. ....
I would have agreed with that wholeheartedly 10+ years ago, but there is relatively little beer imported from Britain, and much of the beer isimported from Britain, is unremarkable and over-priced, such as Boddington's, Newcastle Brown, Fullers, and Bass. Whereas the US brewing scene is now incredibly dynamic with a huge range of high quality craft beers. IMO For a beer drinker, switching to US craft beers would be one of the easiest ways to make a decisive break from things British.

I still occasionally buy British beer brewed by Wychwood, Blacksheep, or St Peter's, but mostly there is plenty of good beer brewed in America to choose from, even though I avoid the various "beers" contaminated with fruit, spices, pumpkin, and sundry other things that do not belong in beer.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 14th 2015 at 8:07 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 9:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I would have agreed with that wholeheartedly 10+ years ago, but there is relatively little beer imported from Britain, and much of the beer isimported from Britain, is unremarkable and over-priced, such as Boddington's, Newcastle Brown, Fullers, and Bass. Whereas the US brewing scene is now incredibly dynamic with a huge range of high quality craft beers. IMO For a beer drinker, switching to US craft beers would be one of the easiest ways to make a decisive break from things British.

I still occasionally buy British beer brewed by Wychwood, Blacksheep, or St Peter's, but mostly there is plenty of good beer brewed in America to choose from, even though I avoid the various "beers" contaminated with fruit, spices, pumpkin, and sundry other things that do not belong in beer.
Yes, everyone's taste is different - I find most American "craft" beer undrinkable bilge. Too sweet, too bland, too fruity/spicy, or too damn strong! I've several times asked so called "brew meisters" or whatever the hell pretensious names they give themselves, why the only drinkable beer they have on offer is so bloody strong, and they never have an intelligible answer. If only the Americans had never discovered the concept of IPA! Give me an honest pint of English bitter any day! Or a good Czech pilsner. Why is it that American pilsners bear no relation whatsoever to an actual pilsner?
Old Oct 14th 2015, 9:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes, everyone's taste is different - I find most American "craft" beer undrinkable bilge. Too sweet, too bland, too fruity/spicy, or too damn strong! ......
I am inclined to agree with all of that, but when there are over 3,000 breweries in the US, probably producing an average of six beers each, it is possible to discount all the fruit beers, the spicy ones, those that are sweet (tip: Lagunita's Brown Shugga is diabetes in a bottle ), the massively over-hopped ones, and those that are just too strong, and there are still many hundreds to choose from. I return consistently from my excursions to Total Wine with a 50:50 mix of old favourites and beers I have never seen before.

I have started to notice, as others (Bob, and a couple of others) pointed out earlier this year, that "session" beers is a growing sector, of lower alcohol beers. Personally I find them watery and lacking flavour, and rarely buy anything less than 5%, with most around 6.5%-7%.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the local beer comment. The stereotypical image that American beer is piss water only holds true if you drink millercoorsweiser. My local brew pub does English style beers (hence the name English Ales) and they are fantastic. They also have a mug club, and I'm now at the point where as I pull up, my mug is pulled and my pint is waiting for me as I sit at the bar. I love that! For that reason alone, I'll probably never leave America LOL.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 12:54 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

on the 'make it easier' front - im not always sure there is much you can do. People seem to either gel here or not. People like Paulaski and myself are happy - no intentions of going back. Others cannot settle no matter what they do. Maybe its the attitude people arrive with, ie more postive and going with the flow or more negative /picky.

A friend of ours came over and from the get go stated she would never settle here and regularly repeats that. her husband and kids are happy and settled and she is determined not to be.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 1:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markonline1
I agree with the local beer comment. The stereotypical image that American beer is piss water only holds true if you drink millercoorsweiser. My local brew pub does English style beers (hence the name English Ales) and they are fantastic. They also have a mug club, and I'm now at the point where as I pull up, my mug is pulled and my pint is waiting for me as I sit at the bar. I love that! For that reason alone, I'll probably never leave America LOL.
I wish I was so lucky, the pooch gets his treat before I get my beer.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 2:39 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
even though I avoid the various "beers" contaminated with fruit, spices, pumpkin, and sundry other things that do not belong in beer.
I have to admit, I'm very partial to the Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat. I've been quaffing it by the pack since I landed.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 2:48 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
My fav local is English style, brewed by an Englishman, a great mild. A style of beer I had given up on in the UK, now I get to drink it again.
Machine House Brewery | Traditional English Style Ales | Seattle, WA
Old Oct 17th 2015, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Pete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond repute

My nearest real English fish and chips are a 10 hour drive away in New England, so I bought a frier and make my own with off the shelf beer batter mix.

I also fry sheffield fishcakes of which Americans find very curious.

Of course served with London pub malt vinegar.

Last edited by Pete H; Oct 17th 2015 at 4:35 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2015, 4:38 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Which part of the UK is he from? Makes a difference to the things he might miss.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

SallyT18 is an unknown quantity at this point

I never really meant to move here (30 years now!) so I didn't think about it at all. Inevitably there will be things he'll miss--I miss the British sense of humor and really good pubs most--but either you get into the swing of things and enjoy a different life or you sit around and pine for the fjords.

Once you make friends, all is good. And local breweries are becoming amazingly good. (We have six just in our tiny little mountain area). One of ours also makes fabulous cider--I'd never drink cider in the UK because it's vomitously sweet, but ginger/cumin cider? MMMMMMMM.