halloween?

Old Sep 7th 2006, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default halloween?

Do you celebrate/recognise it?

As a kid in the UK I was NEVER allowed to go door to door, my dad called it organised begging. As I got older I would not answer the door to them either.

I never bothered with it in the US until I had kids. Last year I bought chocolate for any callers and this year I have bought some pumpkin path lights and a couple of other decorations for outside the house.

Funny how things change.

Ash
Old Sep 7th 2006, 10:55 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: halloween?

As kids, we were only ever allowed to go guising to one or two close neighbours. As an adult, I used to sit in the house in the dark on Halloween, pretending to be out when the guisers came. Like you say, having kids changes all that. I get really into it now. Mrs DaveC has already (2 months ago) picked out the costumes for the kids.

There still is the organised begging element, viz, the teenagers with no costumes and a plastic bag. But they only get one piece of candy, the little kids with the costumes get the most.

It's kind of OT, but having kids is great for meeting the neighbours too. We've spent more time with the people in our street in the last 2 summer months than we ever did in the previous 2 years. It'll be fun to have their kids coming round trick or treating.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 11:04 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, back in the UK when I was young, never heard of trick or treating. The most we ever did was make a pumpkin lantern and put it in the window. Here, it's a different story - I put up lights, witches, even a Halloween village. Last year we had spooky Halloween sounds/music that we downloaded, and would switch on when the doorbell went. Hubby thought it was hilarious to scare the little kids with creaking, ghostly sounds etc. whilst I was at the door with the bucket of sweets, admiring their costumes. I think it's a lot more fun this way!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 11:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We never get callers on Halloween....so I have to eat all that nasty candy myself.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest after last year I dont want them knocking on my door, Why !!! because never got a thankyou off the little sods, well may be one or two, but when you let them help there self's there manners have gone right out of the window If Hubs gets home in time he will take little man out but I really cant be asked.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US

As a kid in the UK I was NEVER allowed to go door to door, my dad called it organised begging. As I got older I would not answer the door to them either.

I never bothered with it in the US until I had kids. Last year I bought chocolate for any callers and this year I have bought some pumpkin path lights and a couple of other decorations for outside the house.

Funny how things change.

Ash
we never celebrated it when i was at home but then when we had a little 'un of our own i started getting in the sweets. we have some little 'uns around and about and i always have sweets in just incase they come trick and treating.....i like a bit of fun hence my avatar however it's when it gets out of hand that it all turns nasty.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 1:54 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

living in Utah it costs a fortune to get the candy for trick or treating.
as the average family has 5 kids here (bit like being surrounded by the Osmonds) it is a never ending stream of kids at your door all night.....
I love seeing the smaller kids in their little outfits, but the older kids with the pillowcases in hands I could do without!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 1:57 pm
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

I buy lots of candy and then I sit outside dressed up as a witch (normal dress OK) and give it all out to the munchkins, it is great fun.
I never let my kids do it in the UK though, thought it was too much like begging!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
I love seeing the smaller kids in their little outfits, but the older kids with the pillowcases in hands I could do without!
So with you there Girl.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 2:29 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US

Same with me. Here, though we get SUV loads turn up and go house to house. Not really in the spirit of things, but what do I know? Half of them are a bit old for it and like you guys say, manners dont exist anymore. We get a bag of supermarket candy and when thats gone, we turn off the light. I always thought it would be fun to sneak around the streets like michael myers (not mike)...maybe one year
Old Sep 7th 2006, 2:36 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

I have even been asked by parents with little ones "do you have halloween in the UK"?
Old Sep 7th 2006, 2:38 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Same with me. Here, though we get SUV loads turn up and go house to house. Not really in the spirit of things, but what do I know? Half of them are a bit old for it and like you guys say, manners dont exist anymore. We get a bag of supermarket candy and when thats gone, we turn off the light. I always thought it would be fun to sneak around the streets like michael myers (not mike)...maybe one year
We used to do it when we were kids in the uk. The thing is that nowadays the paranoia pedlers that are the local news stations tell you not to eat the candy you get from houses, so all of that candy you give out gets chucked in the bin.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
I have even been asked by parents with little ones "do you have halloween in the UK"?
Do you say yes we do but not quite so over rated
Old Sep 7th 2006, 2:41 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

Originally Posted by britvic
Do you say yes we do but not quite so over rated
Yes, i did. they act as if they invented it!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 2:42 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

Originally Posted by dan_alford
We used to do it when we were kids in the uk. The thing is that nowadays the paranoia pedlers that are the local news stations tell you not to eat the candy you get from houses, so all of that candy you give out gets chucked in the bin.
When we lived in Illinois the local hospital used to let kids x-ray their candy to check that there were no blades in them...... also the kids around here only take wrapped candy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.