British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Gizza Job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/gizza-job-925377/)

sid nv Oct 10th 2019 1:24 am

Re: Gizza Job

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 12745946)
The thread is too long to read all of it, but have you tried Home Depot?

Please see post #15.

sid nv Oct 10th 2019 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12745974)
So what happened? Don't leave us hanging like this!

No complaint re non-delivery, so it seems to be a regular order. The puzzle is why the posh British bloke is ordering in food at a slum location. I get some repeat customers, so if he orders again I will try to strike up a conversation.

I have his first name from the order, and I have to say it is very good fit for the first name of a fearless master spy. If he needs to stay undercover for whatever reason, I will of course stay mum. I will refer to him using the code name "Intrepid".

Steerpike Oct 10th 2019 9:38 am

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 12746355)
Hi JSmith,

I have a job of a type that might suit you, although in my case the employer operates all over the US, but not in Canada.

The work involves visiting supermarkets armed with a barcode scanner and data collection device, and scanning products that the supermarket is promoting in any particular week. There is no supervision, no pressure, some flexibility in the hours to be worked, and the hourly pay rate is OK for unskilled work.

What on earth is the business case for that work?! Is this all about one grocery chain keeping on top of what other grocery chains are doing? You'd think they could figure that out from looking at ads! I'm just trying to understand why they would pay you to do this!

spouse of scouse Oct 10th 2019 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12746516)
What on earth is the business case for that work?! Is this all about one grocery chain keeping on top of what other grocery chains are doing? You'd think they could figure that out from looking at ads! I'm just trying to understand why they would pay you to do this!

It's only a guess, but maybe it's a way of tracking how how well the promo stock is selling?

caretaker Oct 10th 2019 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 12746357)
I will of course stay mum. I will refer to him using the code name "Intrepid".

A great Canadian, thank you! :thumbup:

sid nv Oct 10th 2019 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12746516)

Who knows?
While I was scanning the peeling labels on bottles of sparkling cider in Savemart Lobby, a store customer enquired as to whether I was carbon dating the display. A funny and pretty accurate comment.

Steerpike Oct 10th 2019 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 12746717)
Who knows?
While I was scanning the peeling labels on bottles of sparkling cider in Savemart Lobby, a store customer enquired as to whether I was carbon dating the display. A funny and pretty accurate comment.

I wonder what the store management think of this? Several years ago, I was taking photos in the local Whole Foods and I was approached by a manager and asked to stop! They have signs in their windows prohibiting photography ... a lot harder to stop now with phone cameras everywhere (I was using a 'real' camera back then).

sid nv Oct 17th 2019 4:13 pm

First up in today's list of New Jobs is Christmas Assistant for the Salvation Army. Job description includes:

Assist with the operation of the Red Kettle.
Fill in for bell ringers who do not report for duty.
Love it, but unfortunately this job is not in my town.

spouse of scouse Oct 17th 2019 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 12749918)
First up in today's list of New Jobs is Christmas Assistant for the Salvation Army. Job description includes:

Love it, but unfortunately this job is not in my town.

Oh bugger! Before I read the last line I was about to congratulate you, that would be a ripper job :thumbsup:

sid nv Oct 21st 2019 5:04 pm

Was on one of my food delivery gigs the other morning, waiting for food to be cooked in one of the local Mexican market/eatery places. This place is very popular and busy. A dude rocked up to a table with sombrero and guitar and started loudly serenading three blokes eating breakfast. Now if it was me sitting at the table, by now my face would be burning with embarrassment, but the reaction from the diners was about the same as if someone had just turned the TV on. Nice to see there is still some entertainment to be had that does not involve staring at a cellphone. I was half expecting trumpet players to ride in on their horses.

sid nv Jan 22nd 2020 12:16 am

So I am now working for $1.45 an hour. Sounds about right.
https://payup.wtf/doordash/no-free-lunch-report

Lion in Winter Jan 22nd 2020 12:53 am

Sid, I think you should start a YouTube or Tiktok channel, with short, funny videos about your assorted experiences and comments on them. You might build up quite a following, and attract some advertising bucks. And not being a spring chicken just starting out makes it even better.

sid nv Jan 22nd 2020 3:42 am

Art Pulaski wrote that corporate greed and rampant exploitation is driving inequality. To be fair to this food delivery company technology platform they do practice equality in that they screw couriers, customers, and restaurant operators alike. Depending on your politics, this is a shining example of free enterprise, or late stage capitalist exploitation. Well, things have a way of sorting themselves out, and it won't be the first time us peasants have been seen to be revolting. I am considering an All Out at Wendy's - blacklegs and scabs be warned.

Steerpike Jan 22nd 2020 4:01 am

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 12793658)
So I am now working for $1.45 an hour. Sounds about right.
https://payup.wtf/doordash/no-free-lunch-report

This is fascinating. The one unknown seems to be, how much does one get in 'cash tips' - which are impossible to track. It sounds like that's where the motivation for these workers lies. I have never, and likely will never, use such a service but if I did, I would certainly make an effort to use hard cash for tips, rather than tipping through the 'app'. But - I'm finding that I have less and less cash on hand these days. I literally cannot remember when I last drew money out of the ATM, or used cash to pay for anything - and I'm over 60! So I can imagine kids of today not having a real $1 bill in their possession. I do have a stash of 1's and 5's in the glove box of my car, which I use for the very occasional 'drive through' experience. Question for the younger technologists ... is there an app to digitally 'give a fiver' to another person these days?

So what keeps YOU, Sid, working at this? I presume you aren't doing it for the money. Do you agree with the '$1.45/hr' conclusion for your personal experience? I wonder how many people are doing it for 'curiosity', to see just how much they can make ... and then give up once they realize it sucks. I worked with a guy recently who worked as an Uber driver, just so he could figure out the whole financial picture (he concluded it was a terrible deal).

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12793668)
Sid, I think you should start a YouTube or Tiktok channel, with short, funny videos about your assorted experiences and comments on them. You might build up quite a following, and attract some advertising bucks. And not being a spring chicken just starting out makes it even better.

Indeed - and you'd learn a useful (or at least, interesting) skill in the process. You'd have to be careful with privacy, not revealing too much about any particular client ... or even perhaps your employer. But - could be fun! I had to look up 'tiktok' ... I'd heard of it but had no clue about it. This page tries to explain .... https://slate.com/technology/2018/09...lly-guide.html but I must confess I'm still ignorant! YouTube, on the other hand, is perhaps my favorite tool of the past 10 years.

Lion in Winter Jan 22nd 2020 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 12793696)
Art Pulaski wrote that corporate greed and rampant exploitation is driving inequality. To be fair to this food delivery company technology platform they do practice equality in that they screw couriers, customers, and restaurant operators alike. Depending on your politics, this is a shining example of free enterprise, or late stage capitalist exploitation. Well, things have a way of sorting themselves out, and it won't be the first time us peasants have been seen to be revolting. I am considering an All Out at Wendy's - blacklegs and scabs be warned.

:)