Gizza Job

Old May 30th 2019, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gizza Job

Hi y'all

This is about age discrimination in the workplace, and how the US compares with the UK. I am pretty sure that ageism is a thing in the UK, but I have an uninformed hope that ageism is less prevalent in the US. I have seen greeters in Walmart aged well over 100, so am pretty sure this is the case. I am about to undertake a personal experiment to see how US employers view the over-65's. I have now been out of work for nearly 6 weeks, and entering a period like Yosser Hughes running around and telling people "I can do that".

What surprised me is that unemployment benefit is available here. I had assumed that there is little in the way of welfare benefits in the US, it is work or die. But no, there is "unemployment insurance" and it can be quite generous.

I see FedEx are advertising for delivery drivers, and this seems to be a good way to get paid and keep fit at the same time. Although, I came across a UPS employee forum where there was a discussion over whether drivers should continue at 50+, and the consensus was that this is a bad idea due to physical problems with back, knees, etc, plus citing stress over keeping to tight delivery schedules. So still pondering this one.

Old May 30th 2019, 6:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gizza Job

Unemployment benefits are benefits derived from a type of insurance that was paid into by your employer and yourself. Not everyone is eligible for unemployment benefits. You need to have lost you employment due to a cause that was not a result of an indiscretion of yours, i.e. downsizing, layoff, etc. If you just up and leave your job because you are retiring or because you didn't like the job, you are not eligible for unemployment benefits.

Yes, there is a high prevalence of ageism in the US. While it might not be out and out obvious, the reason for rejection will be based on something other than your age so a lawsuit is not forthcoming.

As for older workers in Walmart, the pay is chit, the hours crappy, you stand on your feet the entire time, etc.
Old May 30th 2019, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

So, my first job interview: work from home using own vehicle to make pharmaceutical deliveries. The lady I spoke to on the phone did not ask about my age, or ask about anything much at all. She described the job, and asked me to email 5 pictures of driving-related documents, including driver's license. I asked whether a background check would be needed in order to collect and transport drugs, but apparently not. I can't help but wonder if this is an elaborate scam designed to obtain driver's licenses. It looks like the company registered an LLC in CA in January this year, and have a minimal one-page website. The same advert was carried recently in several different states. Probably legit, but I think I will refrain from sending a picture of my driver's license for now.

I see quite a few jobs require drug/alcohol test. I'm blowed if I am going to give up having one or two beers of an evening. There has to be some point in life. As the Good Book says, "Man shall not live on beer alone, but he shall have a bloody good try".

Old May 30th 2019, 9:30 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
"Man shall not live on beer alone, but he shall have a bloody good try".
I thought you were going to say have a Bloody Mary there; I'm that impressionable.

Old May 30th 2019, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by caretaker
I thought you were going to say have a Bloody Mary there; I'm that impressionable.
Yeah, that works better. I think I'll go with "Man shall not live on beer alone, but he shall also have a margarita and a couple of glasses of chardonnay".
Old May 31st 2019, 10:17 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen a job require an alcohol test. It is, after all, legal. Even testing positive for opiates on a drug screen cannot be used in a hiring decision if you have a script for said opiates.
Old May 31st 2019, 2:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I've never seen a job require an alcohol test. It is, after all, legal. Even testing positive for opiates on a drug screen cannot be used in a hiring decision if you have a script for said opiates.
What is most likely in those cases is that the company use any sort of reason not to give the job, most drug tests are done PRIOR to interview, well at least they were when I was screening people for employment in a company that produced parts for the US automotive industry, it was part of the application requirement, they were also aske dto complete a florm that stated they they had had no contact with drugs, ans they were also told that this was part of the application, and they should list any drugs, prescribed or OTC they had taken in the last 7 days. W e still found positives, usually cannabis, but occasionally opiates.. These people just never made the interview list.
Old May 31st 2019, 2:38 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I've been tested prior to interview. Prior to start date, yes, and the offer was of course conditional on passing all background checks.

Different states, different rules, like everything else in the US.
Old May 31st 2019, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that as a driver, you will only be tested for alcohol immediately before your shift starts (and maybe in the middle if you crash). Alcohol leaves your system fairly quickly, so unless you had a big binge the night before, or you like Irish coffee for breakfast, you'll be okay.

Other drugs are somewhat less simple. Stay away from poppyseeds since it raises false positives for opiates, MJ hangs in the system for up to a month after the impairment wears off.
Old May 31st 2019, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
I'm guessing that as a driver, you will only be tested for alcohol immediately before your shift starts (and maybe in the middle if you crash). Alcohol leaves your system fairly quickly, so unless you had a big binge the night before, or you like Irish coffee for breakfast, you'll be okay.
I would not call up to 24 hours "fairly quickly".

https://americanaddictioncenters.org...long-in-system
Old May 31st 2019, 5:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 31st 2019, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I would not call up to 24 hours "fairly quickly".

https://americanaddictioncenters.org...long-in-system
The page you just linked to uses exactly that phrase.
"Since alcohol is metabolized fairly quickly, most clinicians rely on observations of alcohol use—such as slurred speech or the smell of alcohol—or a breathalyzer test to confirm intoxication or recent drinking."

Old May 31st 2019, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
The page you just linked to uses exactly that phrase.
"Since alcohol is metabolized fairly quickly, most clinicians rely on observations of alcohol use—such as slurred speech or the smell of alcohol—or a breathalyzer test to confirm intoxication or recent drinking."
I know, and I was saying that I would not regard 24 hours as fairly quickly. Many people think they can drink in the evening and be fit to drive (or pilot planes!) the next morning. I once ran a large distribution business (in Europe) and drivers were warned not to drink within 24 hours of starting their shift.
Old May 31st 2019, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The only places I ever had to do alcohol testing was in the airline industry along with drug testing. (although drug testing has been done everywhere I ever worked, including min wage retail jobs.)

Typically airlines will test during pre-employment, randomly during employment, and after any incident or accident regardless of how minor.

The airlines I have worked for alcohol use had to cease 12 hours prior to start of shift with 0 alcohol in system at work.

Was never tested before interview anywhere though, always interview, conditional offer based on passing background checks and drug/alcohol testing.

Everything non-transportation related was no drinking within 8 hours if following company policy.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 31st 2019 at 7:17 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seen in a recent job ad: "Dishwasher wanted - must have experience". I swear this is true. Seriously?

Home Depot are advertising several positions. I am keeping this in reserve for now. Years ago I applied to B&Q for a part-time evening shift. After successfully completing an online assessment/personality test, I went to interview. At the interview I was asked some odd questions, such as "What do you consider to be the greatest achievement in your life?" and "What do you consider to be the most abject failure in your deplorable life?". This was for a job stacking shelves. I gave what I thought were modest and reasonable answers. A few days later I received a letter advising that I was not being offered the position at this time. To this day I have no idea how I failed that interview.
Since B&Q and Home Depot are identical clones, I can no doubt expect an identical interview experience at Home Depot.

It is now the weekend, so despite every day being the same when out of work, no more looking at job listings until Monday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.